Author Topic: RPM Install  (Read 1647 times)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
RPM Install
« on: February 02, 2013, 07:24:40 AM »
So I had some help with the teardown and install.  Probably more help than I needed, but I would rather have too many people than not enough.

The teardown went smooth, we got it apart in about 3 hours, including a run to NAPA for a tool.

We loaded it onto my brother-in-laws F350 and put the heads in a trailer.  No problems there.

The press was assembled the next day and the wiring was done at the same time.  It would have been done earlier, but my electrician's wife had twins...and she would have killed him if he drove up here from Savannah.

There are a few problems with the press, it is used.  Most choppers are badly worn, I will end up replacing all of them.  I need a new control pad for 1 of the heads.   My squeegees and floodbars don't fit.

The awesome thing is the press has only 468,000 prints.  It's not even broken in yet.  I did take down the price I paid for it, I am not mentioning that again since it was a deal and I don't want to effect Rick's business at all.

I can tell you that if I replace this machine, RPM will be very high up on that list, probably at the top.  It's an amazing machine.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: RPM Install
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 09:43:22 AM »
did you sell your gauntlet?
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 09:51:06 AM »
not yet, the sale fell through...here is a shot of both in the shop.

Yes, I have the space for both, but I don't have the need for both...I have a bigger need for money. ;)

The shop is torn apart right now on the install.  Those orange buckets in the background with everything above them is the ink I got with the press.  There are about the same amount of 5 gallon buckets on the ground that you can't see.

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 10:46:08 AM »
Nice press Mk, is the machine servo driven or pneumatic if so?
what`s the compressor capacity to run this puppy
congrats
Gabe

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 10:48:20 AM »
servo, there isn't much air needed..90 psi / 9scfm.

It's a killer press.  I probably need to spend about $2-3K to fix the broken parts and time to clean it from top to bottom.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 11:01:15 AM »
damn, all the ink too, 3k to get it back to mint is a killer deal...
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 11:34:26 AM »
Could I check it out one day?
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 12:58:23 PM »
Great to see. Wow.  One day I'll post about my install. ;)  Great to see you doing well.

D

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 03:19:56 PM »
Jason, stop on down anytime.  The press cosmetics are not good.  It has a ton of spray glue on it that I need to clean off.  Also, some of the paint is chipping off.  I will eventually touch it up once it's cleaned to my standards.  Our 1999 press looks better than the 2006.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 04:22:40 PM »
Funny how we want to clean up our machines like as if we are cleaning up a used car to make shine. :)   Gotta look good to print shirts. ;)
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 04:24:27 PM »
Congrats man, RPM would be my used press of choice and I know you got a bangin' deal on it.  Under all that spray tack and lint is a kick ass machine. 

Post up stuff about your refurb, I looked hard at as used Rhino, even got a lot of insight from Alan but edged back on it, was spooked about finding certain parts and the condition of a machine I couldn't physically inspect.  I'd love to see and hear how you tuned yours back into shape. 

Yer M&R squeegees don't fit?  Double question- you run a 90s Gauntlet so do they take the the 1" i.d. channel squeegees and floods are the older school 1.25"? 

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 11:56:09 PM »
Congrats on the press deal! Those don't come up so often! The RPM is a machine I had been eyeing up for a while. The amount of exact control of every aspect of the printing had me daydreaming how nice it would be to do re prints. If you can keep good notes on print jobs it would be feasible to throw almost anyone on that to print then. Very cool.
Keep us updated how things go with your new toy. I look forward to hearing about it.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 07:32:20 AM »
If you look at the new squeegee and floods, they have 2 notches cut in the top, ours has 1 in the middle.  If you really work hard, you can get them in, but it's not worth the hassle.

The only think I don't like about this machine is true with all servo machines...they will injure you or even kill if you are not careful.  The little air machines will leave a welt, but that is about it.  This thing will rip your arms off and have them half way around the press before you know what happened.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 08:00:48 AM »
The only think I don't like about this machine is true with all servo machines...they will injure you or even kill if you are not careful.  The little air machines will leave a welt, but that is about it.  This thing will rip your arms off and have them half way around the press before you know what happened.

Our new press is actually has a safety STOP feature on the indexing if there is too much resistance(not a crazy amount) while indexing. Didn't even know about the feature until the install.

That is unfortunate about the squeegees and floods, but with the coin you saved, even after replacing them you will come out way on top! I'm just curious, are you having Rick do the install/re assembly?

Keep some pics coming!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 08:13:33 AM »
I had one of ricks guys come down for the assembly.  It went together smoothly.  There are a few other things wrong with the press...I need at least 2 head control panels and some various air fittings and a new bolt or two.