Author Topic: Time to shut it down  (Read 9942 times)

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
Re: Time to shut it down
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2013, 02:39:03 PM »
Mike

I want ( which i think a lot of people do ) is for them to be responsible with MY money.  It is obvious our local, state and federal gov't does not know who to budget anything.  Is this a freak storm...yep, but on the flip side why are they not prepared? 

I know if I ran my business like the gov't I would be in jail and bankrupt..well the gov't is one of those now and heading the other way soon...

BTW.  I know my entire neighborhood looks awesome because WE made it happen not the gov't...but then I went to help my Brother in Law do some of the properties he owns and I see the section 8 people sitting on the porch drinking and smoking vs. giving a helping hand to get the neighborhood back in order...but then again they are entitled to free housing, smokes and booze...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2013, 02:54:18 PM »
mike, this sounds funny, but is there anyway to unclog the gutters?  They should make a heat pad that you could stick to the gutters to keep them open to the water that flows through the snow can exit.

the only other thing you could do is take out some tiles and CRANK the heat in the office.  most metal buildings aren't insulated that well.  Ours plenum gets freaking boiling in the summer.

Good luck and I would spend as little time as possible in that building.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2013, 04:10:37 PM »
Forgot to take some pics but we are rocking it! Brad its a flat roof with corrugated lanes running perpendicular, their is an extremely slight pitch and the water is supposed to run into a weeping system along the edge but the problem is the snow pack has all possible lanes for the water to travel blocked.

I set up a home made plumb bob inside and so far after clearing a ten foot wide lane the bob came up about half an inch. Our efforts are getting the other tenants thinking and some are up doing there sections as well, BTW one unit is 3,900 square feet but very narrow so we have to slide the snow from the middle out. The owner brought his wheel barrow, I took all the harware off except the handles and now we can slide it to the edge.

"No man is an island"

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2013, 04:23:22 PM »
Your lucky steve nothing is back to normal down here yet. Me and the owner came to work today, we could only park about 100 yrds away then have to trek through three feet to get to the building. Property management will not answer any calls so no idea when if ever they will come with a pay loader and open this area up. Most roads are barely touched yet, all they have done is one strip down the middle so with out some kind of 4 wheel you are stupid to be out. We are screwed absolutely no deliveries for god knows how long with lots of dead lines to be done, all we can think of is going to the UPS hub and picking up there but we cant lug dozens of boxes through a foot ball length of crap.

Throwing a $100 bill at a guy with a plow will go a long way.

The guy behind you will throw two $1000 bills at him, its impossible to line up anyone with a loader right now everyone is booked.

You should be throwing that much too, lost income/production will cost you more than that.  I didn't say call one either, I said throw some money at one.  LOL  Meaning see him, wave big green backs at him.  BOOM.  Used to get our driveway done in PA the exact same way, for less than our neighbors paid the guy for doing his.  :)

Its not an option Brandt, this is a big commercial building with 12 units. There is a long entrance way just to get to the parking lot, and most importantly even if it was cleared the road itself is not. What you are not getting tho is that we are dealing with the worse snowfall in our history not a meager foot of snow or whatever, plows them selves are useless it is either heavy machinery or nothing, you could run around with cash all day long but you wont get anything for it since the few machines out there are all bought and paid for, in other words get in line. On top of that many of the private guys are being contracted by the Gov which takes even more resources away from the private sector.

Some make a excuse, some make a way ;)
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2013, 05:18:18 PM »
printing shirts isn't worth dying in a collapsed building.

Thawing it from the bottom is the only way of getting it out.  Our roof has a huge gutter on the back only, it's easy to get to and clear, I wouldn't have to get on the roof.  Ours does have a slight pitch to it though.

Good luck.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2013, 05:37:13 PM »
Your lucky steve nothing is back to normal down here yet. Me and the owner came to work today, we could only park about 100 yrds away then have to trek through three feet to get to the building. Property management will not answer any calls so no idea when if ever they will come with a pay loader and open this area up. Most roads are barely touched yet, all they have done is one strip down the middle so with out some kind of 4 wheel you are stupid to be out. We are screwed absolutely no deliveries for god knows how long with lots of dead lines to be done, all we can think of is going to the UPS hub and picking up there but we cant lug dozens of boxes through a foot ball length of crap.

Throwing a $100 bill at a guy with a plow will go a long way.

The guy behind you will throw two $1000 bills at him, its impossible to line up anyone with a loader right now everyone is booked.

You should be throwing that much too, lost income/production will cost you more than that.  I didn't say call one either, I said throw some money at one.  LOL  Meaning see him, wave big green backs at him.  BOOM.  Used to get our driveway done in PA the exact same way, for less than our neighbors paid the guy for doing his.  :)

Its not an option Brandt, this is a big commercial building with 12 units. There is a long entrance way just to get to the parking lot, and most importantly even if it was cleared the road itself is not. What you are not getting tho is that we are dealing with the worse snowfall in our history not a meager foot of snow or whatever, plows them selves are useless it is either heavy machinery or nothing, you could run around with cash all day long but you wont get anything for it since the few machines out there are all bought and paid for, in other words get in line. On top of that many of the private guys are being contracted by the Gov which takes even more resources away from the private sector.

Some make a excuse, some make a way ;)

Keep telling yourself that
"No man is an island"

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2013, 06:48:34 PM »
Just finished for the day, we did about twenty feet wide the full width of the building. My back is toast.

"No man is an island"

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2013, 07:31:25 PM »
I see you got the fog as well...Heck today you could not even see 50 feet in front of you in some spots...thats nuts..

sam

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2013, 07:54:22 PM »
Looks like an extraterrestrial landscape to me.

Supposed be in the 70's here over the weekend.

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2013, 07:36:49 AM »
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2013, 10:04:01 AM »
good luck dudes!  man we are down to like 2" here left of snow just from melting.....we are in albany...think we had the donut hole...

I can't beleive some roads are not even clear yet...that never happens up here, even out in the country..

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2013, 11:14:35 AM »
Back Hoe finally arrived this A.M. Should take him the whole day minimum to just get the parking lot done, it will take them even longer to do the back and all the load docks, not to mention wide enough for semis, and avoid everyones utilities to boot. Schools in my town are reopening Friday, kids are going to lose one of their vacations for sure.
"No man is an island"

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2013, 12:54:44 PM »
Why don't you wave a couple green backs at the schools, you know, get things done.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2013, 12:57:18 PM »
Why don't you wave a couple green backs at the schools, you know, get things done.

?????????
"No man is an island"