Author Topic: grease for center shaft  (Read 1732 times)

Offline rmonks

• !!!
grease for center shaft
« on: February 10, 2013, 11:03:07 PM »
I had a little time to investigate something on my M&R Gauntlet today that I  have been curious about. Grease getting  to the center shaft. My press has two copper tubes that extend from the main ring where the platten arms attach and they extend  to the center of the press and there these tubes are attached to a fitting that enters the center of the shaft there are two grease certs on the outer end of these tubes and the and grease has to be pumped from a grease gun and travel  2.5 to 3 ft. through a  1/4 copper tube to reach the center shaft. I disconnected the fitting at the center shaft to see if grease comes out while I pump the grease gun. NONE came out, it could be because it is cold in my shop but I removed the fittings and put a grease cert directly into the center shaft. It is getting grease now. If you have an M&R with this method of greasing your center shaft you may want to check and make sure grease is making the journey.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: grease for center shaft
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 08:40:33 AM »
i pump until I see it squeezing out of the bearings, and then wipe the excess off

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 10:28:45 AM »
I had a little time to investigate something on my M&R Gauntlet today that I  have been curious about. Grease getting  to the center shaft. My press has two copper tubes that extend from the main ring where the platten arms attach and they extend  to the center of the press and there these tubes are attached to a fitting that enters the center of the shaft there are two grease certs on the outer end of these tubes and the and grease has to be pumped from a grease gun and travel  2.5 to 3 ft. through a  1/4 copper tube to reach the center shaft. I disconnected the fitting at the center shaft to see if grease comes out while I pump the grease gun. NONE came out, it could be because it is cold in my shop but I removed the fittings and put a grease cert directly into the center shaft. It is getting grease now. If you have an M&R with this method of greasing your center shaft you may want to check and make sure grease is making the journey.
This cannot be due to cold if you are using the proper grease or actually any grease. The copper tubes are just a means to help you reach the center. Unless they were crimped or damaged this should not happen. It is possible that the grease gun you are using was not primed or defective but you should see some grease coming out at the center bushing and feel some pressure on the grease gun handle if everything is correct. Just a FYI.
Rich Hoffman

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 11:46:24 AM »
It sounds like someone over the years did not fully grease the line, took it for granted a few squeezes does the trick. On any grease line you have to pump till you can confirm you got grease in the system then you need to keep it primed so you only need to pump a few times when needed.

Like Rich said it might have a crimp in the line or you just need to pump it till its all primed up.
"No man is an island"

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 12:14:59 PM »
It sounds like someone over the years did not fully grease the line, took it for granted a few squeezes does the trick. On any grease line you have to pump till you can confirm you got grease in the system then you need to keep it primed so you only need to pump a few times when needed.

Like Rich said it might have a crimp in the line or you just need to pump it till its all primed up.
No the lines are not damaged. I think my grease gun is weak. I am getting ready to buy an air activated grease gun and order some grease from M&R just to make sure I use the correct grease.

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »

No the lines are not damaged. I think my grease gun is weak. I am getting ready to buy an air activated grease gun and order some grease from M&R just to make sure I use the correct grease.
You should not need an air operated gun to grease this machine. That is a lot of money for a simple task. Just buy a decent quality manual grease gun.
Rich Hoffman

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 02:36:37 PM »
my thought was that old crappy grease or contaminants are merely clogging the tube.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Baron265

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 02:38:04 PM »
Since you have the tube off, try cleaning it (with mineral spirits or gas) to be sure there's no obstruction. Then, fill the tube with grease while it's still off the machine. You'll know the tube it completely filled/ primed. Then install the tube on the press and follow the recommended procedure.
Paul Schmidt
Regional Manager
Workhorse Products, Inc.
(602)414-3684
pschmidt@workhorseproducts.com