Author Topic: It finally happened! After four years, our press was down.  (Read 4630 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
It finally happened! After four years, our press was down.
« on: February 11, 2013, 06:28:50 PM »
and to anybody knocking the MHM service, they overnighted us $5K worth of parts, saturday delivery, so we can be back up and running on Mon morning. Then after the parts came in, Rodney spent time with me on the phone going over everything making sure we can get it up and running. We sent what we did not need back for a full credit. Short of having a tech in the same town, I can't see how they could have handled this any better.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
Re: It finally happened! After four years, our press was down.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 06:36:20 PM »
sounds good..I think if anyone wants to be in the Press Business these days needs to have service like that...kudos to them...and glad you are back up and running...

what was the problem?

sam

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 06:47:01 PM »
not sure yet, either the LCD or the video controller circuit on the motherboard. Got it rigged now so we did not have to spend $4700 for the replacement part and have a used $100 LCD part coming in this week. Hoping that's the issue 'cause the motherboards are no longer available (2008 vintage) and we'd have to upgrade to the new computer and spend that $4700 I was trying to avoid installing.

But in the end, Rodney made sure I was up and running for monday and helped save the big bucks for now.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 06:59:15 PM »
Sounds like they're on top of it for you.

If you're replacing an outdated board and you can upgrade to a new controller that's pretty sweet. 

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 07:03:13 PM »
Did your touch screen go down?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 07:11:33 PM »

the touch screen actually works, but the display behind it is not. We have a new LCD and inverter on the way and am hoping it fixes the problem. In the meanwhile, we have a monitor that's displaying what's going on and the touchscreen to control the press.

pierre

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 07:13:50 PM »

If you're replacing an outdated board and you can upgrade to a new controller that's pretty sweet.

unfortunately, the new controller is the same as the old controller. No additional features, just different parts to accomplish the same. . .

pierre

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 07:17:17 PM »

the touch screen actually works, but the display behind it is not. We have a new LCD and inverter on the way and am hoping it fixes the problem. In the meanwhile, we have a monitor that's displaying what's going on and the touchscreen to control the press.

pierre

You can hook a mouse up to the USB port and a arrow will show up that you control with the mouse. That may make it easier to control. The arrow will show up on the monitor.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 07:32:15 PM »

unfortunately, the new controller is the same as the old controller. No additional features, just different parts to accomplish the same. . .

pierre

Well, I suppose new features would be pretty neat, but I was just pointing out that it's nice that even though they no longer make the original part, the new one will still work with your press. 
Not always the case.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 07:52:34 PM »
I've heard of another e-Type having a problem where the ethernet cable got pinched. Doesn't sound like
your issue, but good to keep in mind.

Glad to hear Hirsch came through, I can't even get them to sell me a Tajima.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 08:20:17 PM »

I can't even get them to sell me a Tajima.

I tried a couple of times to get them to sell me one. No call back. No email response. Even after talking to a live person who said I would get a call back still nothing. They did not get my money.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 07:42:09 AM »
Sounds like great service!
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 11:39:24 AM »
UPDATE:

it was the LCD monitor. Got one on ebay and it fired right up!

Had the control unit apart several times and can help anybody if they run into trouble.
Motherboard is made by LEX Systems CV866C
Monitor is AU Optronix G150XG01 mine is V.0 and 2AXXG coded

I could not find the inverter for the LCD display on the web, but did not look too hard. Last I heard, Hirsch has them in stock.
additionally there is touch screen and touch controller board. I think they might have the controllers in stock too, not sure about the actual touch screen (goes in front of the LCD display). It does look like they might be available on the web.

Motherboard seems to be the big issue. I reached out to few ppl and could not find one anywhere. Unfortunately, right now it looks like $4700 is the only option if the board goes bad.

pierre

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 03:34:40 PM »
Glad to here your back printing... The motherboard is a Mother...

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 03:44:48 PM »
I watched one of my guys punch the touch screen one day... you should have seen the look on his face, "Of Fudge, what have I done?" Then he lied to me, until I told him I watched him do it. This was about 6 years ago, 3K then... he stayed with us (he was a good pressman) and we took the money out of his check every week until it was paid. Four days, no MHM, fortunately, no critical work and the '94 Gauntlet kept us moving...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't