Author Topic: Big Thank You to John Sheridan / Ink Disposal  (Read 3419 times)

Online brandon

• Gonzo Member
Big Thank You to John Sheridan / Ink Disposal
« on: February 12, 2013, 04:16:40 PM »
A big thank you to John Sheridan here.

Over the past few years in regards to discharge/old water base disposal we tried the kitty litter, hardener stuff, this and that. I finally just decided on doing the monthly run to the city dump where they handle toxic crap like that with an incinerator.

But for the life of me can't figure out why did I not think of cement. Duh! Works like a charm. Dump a box/bag in a 3/4 filled five gallon bucket of the waste and several days later solid as a rock. Mix it up of course. Safe to go in the dumpster. Contacted the city. Good to go!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Re: Big Thank You to John Sheridan / Ink Disposal
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 04:28:50 PM »
This is rad. 

I too thought that, as long as you could instigate a drying/curing, there should be no need for haz disposal of DC ink.

I am still working up the courage to mix our bucket 'o stank and see if I can make a useable ink out of it.  I have been recycling a lot of DC ink by saving colors for up to 2 months and then adding back a little fresh ink and reactivating.  I don't see why we can't have a bucket of recycled grey ink, just like with plastisol.  The stank goes away when you reactivate.

If that's a no go, cement it is!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 04:39:32 PM »
why can't you just put the ink in a bucket out back and let it dry out. It may take a few weeks but it will evaporate.

The agent is gone in 8 hours to 2 days and then you just have water and pigment right?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 04:43:27 PM by Jon »

Online brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 06:02:42 PM »
That's what I used to think as well but the city and also a chemist told me nope. Even though it might appear to be dry or "cured" it is not. It needs to be encapsulated and dried completely, basically like once cement is cured you can get it wet again and again and it stays rigid - not going back sand and water and this case discharge!

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 09:34:14 PM »
why can't you just put the ink in a bucket out back and let it dry out. It may take a few weeks but it will evaporate.

The agent is gone in 8 hours to 2 days and then you just have water and pigment right?

That works great when you live in the furnace of the US....lol You could cook a turkey in your car where you live too in the summer. We are close to the beach not to mention it is a red flag to the fine happy city if they see open containers outside with ink in it. They are pretty nosey around here with that kind of stuff.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 12:18:19 AM »
A big thank you to John Sheridan here.

Over the past few years in regards to discharge/old water base disposal we tried the kitty litter, hardener stuff, this and that. I finally just decided on doing the monthly run to the city dump where they handle toxic crap like that with an incinerator.

But for the life of me can't figure out why did I not think of cement. Duh! Works like a charm. Dump a box/bag in a 3/4 filled five gallon bucket of the waste and several days later solid as a rock. Mix it up of course. Safe to go in the dumpster. Contacted the city. Good to go!

I'm a bit of an environmentalist, mainly regarding recycling.  Since these hardened buckets of concrete can never be used for anything (down here they actually crush up old concrete and recycle into new mix), all I can see is an ever-growing mound of concrete in buckets. 

I like the idea of the incinerators, but that's just me.  Problem eliminated and nothing solid left behind.  Since the bags of sackrete are not free, I would think incineration would be a cheaper and less trouble option.  Takes time to mix that stuff up and last time I checked, a 5 gallon bucket of hardened concrete ain't that light to toss around.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 01:53:51 AM »

That works great when you live in the furnace of the US....lol You could cook a turkey in your car where you live too in the summer. We are close to the beach not to mention it is a red flag to the fine happy city if they see open containers outside with ink in it. They are pretty nosey around here with that kind of stuff.

Why would it be a ready flag. Water base inks are environmentally friendly. They are so green they will not hurt anything, right. Hell the last job I printed I just drank the left over ink, tasty.

There has to be a way to dry the ink out and then just toss it in the trash. Maybe a crock pot or something like that. I have been mixing left over ink into the next run of that color. I have had no waist in the 3 months I have been doing DC. I have about 400 grams of ink set aside now. I am sure some of that will not be able to be used.

How many gallons of left over ink are you guys making every month?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 07:37:35 AM »
It's best to get a hanle on exactly how much to make in the beginning. Once you have your formuals down most should find it takes just minutes to make more. The best solution here is to minimize the waste on the front siide.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 08:45:40 AM »
Glad to help guys!!

Once it's a rock in a bucket, off to the dump it goes.

How many gallons of left over ink are you guys making every month?

Around this shop.. an average day is 2-5 gallons of waste over 2 shifts.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 09:05:59 AM »
Ouch thats a lot but I'm sure you're working on bringing that down.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 10:51:59 AM »
Glad to help guys!!

Once it's a rock in a bucket, off to the dump it goes.

How about rather than making it merely landfill-friendly, actually using the blocks?
Sounds like the makings of a unique decorative retaining wall in the garden.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 01:33:05 PM »
Ouch thats a lot but I'm sure you're working on bringing that down.

I wish I could say they're doing something about it and or are finding ways to reduce cost through efficient use of materials and time.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 01:42:27 PM »
5 gallons a day that's about 110 gallons a month (22 day work month) Thats alot of cement blocks.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 01:50:32 PM »
I'd start working on a pyramid or something, maybe another building built just from discharge cement blocks.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 03:42:25 PM »
5 gallons a day that's about 110 gallons a month (22 day work month) Thats alot of cement blocks.

It really depends on what's being printed in a said week. We just came out of a 3 week period where its been all DC base with Plas top colors so the waste is low, now 3 weeks before that was DC all day on all machines and during those times, waste was high.