Author Topic: Help!! Discharge base with 4cp on darks  (Read 1406 times)

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
Help!! Discharge base with 4cp on darks
« on: February 22, 2013, 02:22:53 PM »
What color base do you use. White??? Do you print the base flash  then print the 4cp as usual?

1st time trying this.

Looking at CCI D White and Unions 4cp inks. Already do 4cp no problem on whites. So time to figure out darks.

Thanks,
Shane

Offline jasonl

• !!!
Re: Help!! Discharge base with 4cp on darks
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 03:01:37 PM »
i do it with a watered down Sericol white discharge, Union on top with a highlight white after the yellow.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 03:03:18 PM »
CCI base with a little bit of white for underbase, then print the colors as if you are printing simulated process.

underbase will not be real white so you will need a highlight for the areas that are supposed to be true white.

the only project we did like that had colors on it that were muted and did not have to be spot on. So it is possible that your final image will be a little darker than if on white. This is where the amount of white in the underbase mix will come into play. I would start at 20% and work your way up to no more than 60%, but would start with 20%.

Also, triple strength might not be a bad idea. I have some here and will test when the time permits.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 03:06:04 PM »
Don't have any pics but ten ys ago I did a few 4CP discharge on darks using my own process discharge formulas. No base at all, just a hi white. Discharge inks are perfect for this as the are inherently transparent by their very nature. I'll get around to doing some more as samples.

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 03:07:02 PM »
Pierre, is your concern about keeping the white percentage down for the same reasons as for those who pit plastisol on top of a white dc - i.e., cracking?  Or for another reason?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 03:50:48 PM »
Pierre, is your concern about keeping the white percentage down for the same reasons as for those who pit plastisol on top of a white dc - i.e., cracking?  Or for another reason?

if you have too much white in the base it will flake off!
no white will give you better surface to print but it will not be as bright. If you can get away with it, that would be your best option.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 04:13:12 PM »
I did it a couple of months ago.  I did it almost exactly as Pierre described. I used cci base 80%/ cci d white 20% activated with 6%. I printed the base through a 156 double stroke, flashed and standard union 4cp true tone through 305. I wish I had taken a picture. The print was better than I expected. I did have to use silicone on the process screens though. I normally do not do that.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 04:33:44 PM »
Silicone on shirt side? Spray i assume like pam type?
Shane

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 04:57:39 PM »
Silicone on shirt side? Spray i assume like pam type?
Shane
exactly. it makes life easier sometimes.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?