Author Topic: "Green" or not vinyl bumper/outdoor Stickers?  (Read 2102 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
"Green" or not vinyl bumper/outdoor Stickers?
« on: February 26, 2013, 03:44:42 PM »
Anything even close out there?  I have traditionally just had the "it's vinyl" conversation with most folks looking for sticker product and have never found anything but vinyl stock for weather-resistant stickers but maybe there is?

Edit:  I am aware of EarthFirst PLA and Natureflex films but I didn't think they could hold up for outdoor use seeing as, EF PLA at least, is compostable.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 03:51:45 PM by ZooCity »

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: "Green" or not vinyl bumper/outdoor Stickers?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 07:38:21 PM »
I've read and re-read your post...and I have no idea whatsoever what you want to know.  :o

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 07:45:13 PM »
Environmentally friendly weather resistant decal material.

I'd say it doesn't exist.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 08:39:07 PM »
The PLA might actually do it but none of my contract accounts touch the stuff.  Have to look into this tomorrow....or start printing stickers in house.

crooked- talkin' about a non-vinyl outdoor rated sticker.  As a textile printer, you should know that vinyl is a big spook word for a lot of consumers, which is a valid concern from a personal health and/or environmental standpoint but also kind of a dead-end road for those who want items such as stickers since many, many printed things involve vinyl.  The only serious non-vinyl adhesive film out there appears to be a corn based plastic that will actually compost over time yet (maybe?) will stand up to weather.  My guess is you would print it with similar inks- UV, waterbase, etc.

fwiw, I get the "ewww. vinyl" thing,  but I wonder if anyone ever considers how much PVC is in their house piping alone?  You would have to go through a hell of a lot of stickers and plastisol printed shirts and...I don't know, shower curtains... to even come close to consuming as much vinyl via imprinted material as there is in few feet of DWV pipe. I won't even get into flooring and siding and casing and what not.  Kinda seems silly to focus on industries using drastically less of the stuff and to worry about having vinyl involved in your printing and then go home to your vinyl house.   

Also, I like my vinyl records.

For the curious:

the films are made from this stuff - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingeo

which is a PLA - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polylactic_acid

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 08:44:52 PM »
Zoo - why do you get the "eww vinyl" thing? we usually get the "don't give me paper, I needs me some vinyls"
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 09:25:27 PM »
Maybe my market is more conscious on the topic of plastic?  I dunno.

People typically want cheaper label-stock stickers and then something durable for outdoor use, or that seems to be the typical order.  I just started offering labels and whatnot.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 12:50:02 AM »
The PLA might actually do it but none of my contract accounts touch the stuff.  Have to look into this tomorrow....or start printing stickers in house.

crooked- talkin' about a non-vinyl outdoor rated sticker.  As a textile printer, you should know that vinyl is a big spook word for a lot of consumers, which is a valid concern from a personal health and/or environmental standpoint but also kind of a dead-end road for those who want items such as stickers since many, many printed things involve vinyl.  The only serious non-vinyl adhesive film out there appears to be a corn based plastic that will actually compost over time yet (maybe?) will stand up to weather.  My guess is you would print it with similar inks- UV, waterbase, etc.

fwiw, I get the "ewww. vinyl" thing,  but I wonder if anyone ever considers how much PVC is in their house piping alone?  You would have to go through a hell of a lot of stickers and plastisol printed shirts and...I don't know, shower curtains... to even come close to consuming as much vinyl via imprinted material as there is in few feet of DWV pipe. I won't even get into flooring and siding and casing and what not.  Kinda seems silly to focus on industries using drastically less of the stuff and to worry about having vinyl involved in your printing and then go home to your vinyl house.   

Also, I like my vinyl records.

For the curious:

the films are made from this stuff - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingeo

which is a PLA - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polylactic_acid

Okie Dokie. Now I get it. I'd never heard of PLA and I'm not very into the whole enviornmental thing, but that's a topic for another thread.

We still cut a few decals from pressure sensitive vinyl, but have never developed the printed sticker market in our business.

And thanks for the explanation...

Stan