Author Topic: Map Usage  (Read 1213 times)

Offline larryk

• !!!
Map Usage
« on: February 27, 2013, 10:18:44 AM »
This topic may have been touched on before but I can't seem to find any info on it.... I have a customer that is requesting the state map be put on some shirts. I found the perfect one on the state DOT site..... I put a call into and sent a formal request by email to the state but nobody seems to know if I can use it or not. Now if this was just for a picnic or something I would say no problem.... but it is for 10 thousand shirts... What do you guys think... public use or not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Map Usage
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 10:30:52 AM »
We can't tell you for sure, because none of us are lawyers that I know of.

From what I understand, anything "State and government" we are able to use. The reason (from what I've heard) is that we pay for that stuff in our taxes. It's bought and paid for by us.

Pictures from Nasa for example, I do know you can use. I've been on that website and downloaded some pics of the moon and it says is their Usage disclaimer that you can use it.

Your City may be incorporated as a business and that may make a difference. I'm not sure.

D

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline larryk

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 11:57:02 AM »
Thanks Dan......... are you sure you are not a lawyer?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 12:06:04 PM »
Indeed I am not. Sounds odd that I mention that, but some people can take what we say as the final say.

I will also say tho, that what I said pertains to images that the state paid to have made and own. It gets deeper I'm sure. Some private individual can create a map of a state...and that is owned by them and nothing to do with the state. So be aware of the source and original owner of the map art.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850