Poll

What programs you are currently using as a standard in your business?

Adobe Illustrator only
2 (5%)
Corel Draw only
2 (5%)
Photoshop only
0 (0%)
Corel and Photoshop
11 (27.5%)
Illustraror and Photoshop
16 (40%)
Corel, Illustrator and Photoshop
6 (15%)
Corel Painter
2 (5%)
Corel PhotoPaint
0 (0%)
OTHER
1 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: GRAPHICS PROGRAMS  (Read 2548 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
GRAPHICS PROGRAMS
« on: June 23, 2011, 03:29:08 PM »
You may vote two (2) times here.

We all here of different people using one or the other, but I was curious to see the numbers. It would be interesting to see what the results are after about 6 months or a year of people voting.

If you are using something not listed, please mark 9OTHER) and then explain in a post here.

Thanks
Dan
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 05:17:41 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: GRAPHICS PROGRAMS
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 05:18:46 PM »
we've used a lot of them, even Corel Draw 6 (for Mac, which we are) dating back to 1990. I loved Freehand for years, until I hired an artist who was versed in Illustrator. After using that for awhile, I settled on it and Photoshop. They do 99/9% of our work.

Steve

Dan, the birds came out very nice, check our facebook page. Thanks for the great job and quick turn.
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 05:42:15 PM »
Dan, you are sounding a bit like our clients, who when asked what program was used to create their art, they respond "Adobe"

Corel is a brand. Although I assume that you meant DRAW in the poll.
I use CorelDRAW, Corel Photopaint, and Photoshop.

Every now and then, I fire up the old Freehand, but that's another thread in itself, lol!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 06:31:53 PM »
Oh brother....everyone has "something' to complain about. Yeah, usually when you here Corel, people are talking about DRAW.  "Hey, do you use Corel?  Yeah, but I hate vector work"

Like who uses paint for real?  Half the Corel users forget it's there right? Sure, people play with it to explore or expand their horizons........and then they have to go to work.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Online prozyan

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 06:37:26 PM »
I use paint quite a bit, but only in conjunction with Draw.  I don't think I've ever used Paint separately.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 06:47:13 PM »

Not to start an affordable Corel Suite vs. take out a second mortgage CS5, but This is the tute that showed me, that in the right hands, Photopaint is capable of doing most of what Photoshop is used for in what I come across for screen printing.

We've said it before about this and other facets of computing and screen printing. A lot depends on what one initially learned on.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 06:50:03 PM »
I use Corel X4 and Photopaint. I really need to learn how to work in a raster-based program. In 'Paint I have at least figured out how to do simple stuff, bring in raster files and adjust levels, contrast, stuff like that. I have done some process jobs with it, even on darks. I wish I could learn to use it more comprehensively.
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Online prozyan

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 06:51:36 PM »
I wish I could learn to use it more comprehensively.

Check out the link Frog posted and the browse through all of Tom's tutorials.  He shows you how to do some amazing things with Draw and Photopaint, and makes it seem easy.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 06:56:10 PM »
...Yknow, I have had many of the tutes from that site favorited to be reviewed when things "werent so busy". I may FINALLY get that time next week, so im thankful for the reminder because its been there nearly two years. I forgot all about it. Thanks guys!
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline lemorris

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 08:41:08 PM »
I'm looking for Painter tutes.  Any links would be greatly appreciated.

I'm adobe....mostly.

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 08:49:36 PM »
I don't really like doing artwork on a computer at all, to be honest.
But, the guy who swore he'd never do it seems to use the d*mn things for art everyday now.
 ::)
Illustrator is overpriced and over-rated in my humble opinion, so I use CorelDraw, which I could complain about as well, but why bother.
Handy tool.
Photoshop is decent enough, but sometimes you want something to use for layouts, or vector-stuff, so, see above.
I still hand draw everything where practical. I still know how, and don't want to forget.
Keeps it more 'real' even if you have to fix it up a bit after it goes digital and gets somewhat fubar in the process.
That said, I don't have to do ten re-inks of something cause I screwed up at the last.
A good editing tool methinks.
End of ramble.
Cheers.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 07:39:15 AM »
.ai and .psd  for Screen printing
.ai, .psd and .indd  for regular printing  (Sometimes Quark, but I hate every minute I spend in that software)

Adobe all the way

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 09:53:51 AM »
.ai and .psd  for Screen printing
.ai, .psd and .indd  for regular printing  (Sometimes Quark, but I hate every minute I spend in that software)

Adobe all the way

I loved Quark until InDesign 2. Haven't touched Quark in about 4 years now. In fact, I never installed it on my laptop which is my sole computing device. Like yourself, all Adobe. Upgraded to the CS5 Design Premium Suite last year. I do have CorelDRAW X3 on the Windows XP loaded on my laptop, but I've never used it for anything other than opening DRAW files.
I have to say I'm kind of surprised to see the Illustrator/Photoshop combo outpacing the CorelDRAW/Photoshop combo. I always thought DRAW predominated in the screenprint world. Has this thread morphed into a group confessional by printers who have been on the "down low" with Illustrator?
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .