Author Topic: What have you printed lately?  (Read 557528 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: What have you printed lately?
« Reply #1350 on: June 30, 2014, 09:20:45 AM »
The reason why we started using gutters is so that we can do jobs like this in one revolution.  Buildup was there but it wasn't bad enough for us to stop and clean screens.  The gutter is around the text but it's more noticeable because on the highlight white we don't use any trap/choke and it sits directly on top of the underbase.  That is a 9 color job on a 10 color press, spot colors, and it was done in one revolution.  We could have tried to have printed it without gutters and multiple revolutions and staggered the colors so that the colors printing after did not touch the previous, then we'd flash them, then the remaining colors would have been printed.  I'm thinking that doing that in 2 revolutions would be tough.  I think that to do that job with no gutter we're talking 3, maybe 4 revolutions with only one flash on the press. 

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #1351 on: June 30, 2014, 11:57:14 AM »
Alan you never mention how many shirts it was, but for me if it was a small amount say 48 to 100 I might have turned more rev's, I hate having only one flash and your right printing spot colors is a task if you don't have enough flashes or print heads...running twice or even three times around is not uncommon, it's just no one speaks about it cause it's a no no for high production even though it's done more than most printers are willing to talk about.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #1352 on: June 30, 2014, 02:09:34 PM »
The reason why we started using gutters is so that we can do jobs like this in one revolution.  Buildup was there but it wasn't bad enough for us to stop and clean screens.  The gutter is around the text but it's more noticeable because on the highlight white we don't use any trap/choke and it sits directly on top of the underbase.  That is a 9 color job on a 10 color press, spot colors, and it was done in one revolution.  We could have tried to have printed it without gutters and multiple revolutions and staggered the colors so that the colors printing after did not touch the previous, then we'd flash them, then the remaining colors would have been printed.  I'm thinking that doing that in 2 revolutions would be tough.  I think that to do that job with no gutter we're talking 3, maybe 4 revolutions with only one flash on the press.

halftone underbase!!! It flexes and breaths better so you sell the customer on the benefits. I think it's been several years since we spun the press around twice on a multicolor job and even that was due to bad films rather than screen issues. We do spin the under 40 pcs, white only, around twice to save burning, registering and cleanup associated with an extra screen.

pierre

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #1353 on: June 30, 2014, 03:03:04 PM »

halftone underbase!!! It flexes and breaths better so you sell the customer on the benefits. I think it's been several years since we spun the press around twice on a multicolor job and even that was due to bad films rather than screen issues. We do spin the under 40 pcs, white only, around twice to save burning, registering and cleanup associated with an extra screen.

pierre

Discharge! Or depending on quantity Discharge Underbase! Those are exactly the type of prints that scream discharge/dc ubase.
Unless I missed something about non-compatible garments. Judging from your client he's probably be super stoked on the soft hand
as well.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #1354 on: June 30, 2014, 05:04:21 PM »
I think Alan said they were on 50/50's so discharge probably wouldnt have worked great.  A dc underbase may have worked though.  I use gutters on occasion as well, but I will say Alan's look a little big, which he explained was due to screen mesh choice for opacity.  I just know I have never had a visible gutter at the end of a print.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #1355 on: June 30, 2014, 05:40:50 PM »
Yep, missed it. That kind of design on 50/50? I'd insist on changing something...

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #1356 on: July 01, 2014, 12:06:46 PM »
Yep, missed it. That kind of design on 50/50? I'd insist on changing something...

This was for a contract customer who's customer was the picky one.  Our customer thought they were great and was completely happy then when their customer got them, it turned for the worse.  They were 50/50's with some ribbed tanks (yeah, makes it even better) and this type of job is more difficult to make sure we get a workable combo of shirt/type of print.  I've done DC testing on 50/50's with plastisol top colors, clear DC bases and haven't had good enough results.  I see people posting DC'd 50/50's often but the style's I tested did not work well and I abandoned the idea. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #1357 on: July 01, 2014, 01:49:13 PM »
So the plot thickens.  You can't make this stuff up.  According to our contract customer, their customer has now rejected the white shirts (his event was this past weekend) as of this morning.  I believe he didn't sell any like he thought he would and now he's looking for a way out.  He was expecting the white area inside to have white ink (in case someone spilled something on the shirt it would get stained) and the prints aren't straight, they have a slight arch to them.

This shirt had a small hole in the back and a little dirt stain under the "U" so we had this one left over from the print run.

Offline prozyan

« Reply #1358 on: July 01, 2014, 03:39:46 PM »
He rejects them after the event.....Yeah, I don't think so.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #1359 on: July 01, 2014, 04:00:11 PM »
white spot color on a white shirt.. now I've heard it all ;)

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #1360 on: July 01, 2014, 04:05:38 PM »
White ink on a white shirt, that's for sure a new one for me. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
« Reply #1361 on: July 01, 2014, 07:43:56 PM »
Time to fire this client!

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #1362 on: July 01, 2014, 07:56:38 PM »
oh man this happens to us all the time. Fun stuff working with events!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #1363 on: July 02, 2014, 09:47:42 AM »
ha, WTF, in that case I would print the whole shirt with a layer of white in case somebody spills something on the shirt.

yup, looking for an out.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #1364 on: July 02, 2014, 03:40:30 PM »
There are more complaints on the shirts now, with registration being slightly out on this next pic.  The orange block is slightly out of reg but looking at all of the other white shirts that made it back in our possession there was only a couple more that were the same.  It is something you can see looking close up but about 12" away you can't see it.

And our customer took the job to another local shop on Friday to get a sample run printed hoping she could make this guy happy and we were able to get one of those shirts to look at instead of a pic that was sent to us.  I have taken a pic of our print beside the sample the other shop did.  And he rejected the second run done by the other shop if I didn't already say that.

Another issue is even though he's essentially rejected all of the shirts, black, white, tanks, other shops prints, etc, they didn't all make it back to us.  I'm assuming they were sold and we have gotten all the shirts back except those.  I hope this is my last post regarding this job.