Author Topic: What have you printed lately?  (Read 557494 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: What have you printed lately?
« Reply #1560 on: October 06, 2014, 09:13:17 PM »

We have to doublestroke most of our underbases here...

Well, you know your just playing with it now. ;-)

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #1561 on: October 06, 2014, 09:22:19 PM »
With a 225/40 theres really no need to double stroke the base but a big reason why most of my sim process is double stroked as I said before is my flow is setup for it.  Another reason is I do lots of greyscale sim process prints with a grey base on 280-305 mesh which I always need to double stroke. Just easier for me to tell my guys to double stroke the u.b and single the top for sim process then worry about the base covering/penetrating but I know plenty of guys single stroking the base we just choose not to unless I'm in a hurry.. Lol

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #1562 on: October 07, 2014, 12:44:26 AM »
Awesome info Danny, thanks for taking the time to post all of this.

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #1563 on: October 07, 2014, 08:47:13 AM »
Awesome info Danny, thanks for taking the time to post all of this.

Ditto.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #1564 on: October 07, 2014, 09:24:11 AM »
Don't think I've really posted here, mainly because we don't do that much sim process work. Well we got one, even had 2 separators turn us down on doing the seps. Needless to say that really freaked me out, after all was said and done 9 colors is what we have below. Critiques and comments are welcome and appreciated. Personally I think I'm going to try to bump up the underbase on the shield part of it and pull back on the final black.

Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #1565 on: October 07, 2014, 09:54:02 AM »
Don't think I've really posted here, mainly because we don't do that much sim process work. Well we got one, even had 2 separators turn us down on doing the seps. Needless to say that really freaked me out, after all was said and done 9 colors is what we have below. Critiques and comments are welcome and appreciated. Personally I think I'm going to try to bump up the underbase on the shield part of it and pull back on the final black.

Got a photo that you didn't take on the sun?   ;D
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #1566 on: October 07, 2014, 09:57:42 AM »
Ahhhhhhhh, very good point. It looks so much better on my phone! I'll have someone take one today and re post it, also didn't realize how blurry it is. See what happens when you do everything on your phone!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #1567 on: October 07, 2014, 12:42:55 PM »

for anybody reading, most of that art was done with 4/1000th of an inch lines. I understand why separators would turn it down! Who did you get to separate it and did you manage to keep the small lines or was the art changed? That would be technically most difficult print I have ever seen (yes, counting in all the crazy SGIA winning stuff).

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #1568 on: October 07, 2014, 12:51:02 PM »

Hey my mother has one of those shirts!

not really

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #1569 on: October 07, 2014, 01:24:26 PM »
On the subject of double stroking on sim process, I think it's fairly "par for the course" as even the self-proclaimed hater of the double stroke (myself) does it more times than not on navy and black garments with sim process jobs.  I think the key is to always TRY to do the job with the least amount of work but don't spend an hour trying to get things just right (unless the time spent doing so will outweigh the time it spends to double stroke, larger quantity jobs apply) and instead work in new blades, ink, additives and mesh in a little at a time until you find the most successful combinations.  Let's not forget the real reason for the double stroke on sim process is not that someone is failing at something but rather it's the nature of the beast when using higher mesh counts...it's an opacity thing.  Higher mesh counts don't usually allow enough ink through to give you the opacity needed for the top colors to pop.  I know it can come off as a failure type of issue, especially with the comments I make a lot about double stroking, but I want to be clear that if you're double stroking your bases through lower mesh counts then you're likely doing something wrong in the process, but that's not my thoughts on doing it with higher mesh counts.  So in closing, double stroking sim process=not bad, double stroking the base on a 3 spot color on darks with no detail=you can do better :).
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #1570 on: October 07, 2014, 01:39:54 PM »
On the subject of double stroking on sim process, I think it's fairly "par for the course" as even the self-proclaimed hater of the double stroke (myself) does it more times than not on navy and black garments with sim process jobs.  I think the key is to always TRY to do the job with the least amount of work but don't spend an hour trying to get things just right (unless the time spent doing so will outweigh the time it spends to double stroke, larger quantity jobs apply) and instead work in new blades, ink, additives and mesh in a little at a time until you find the most successful combinations.  Let's not forget the real reason for the double stroke on sim process is not that someone is failing at something but rather it's the nature of the beast when using higher mesh counts...it's an opacity thing.  Higher mesh counts don't usually allow enough ink through to give you the opacity needed for the top colors to pop.  I know it can come off as a failure type of issue, especially with the comments I make a lot about double stroking, but I want to be clear that if you're double stroking your bases through lower mesh counts then you're likely doing something wrong in the process, but that's not my thoughts on doing it with higher mesh counts.  So in closing, double stroking sim process=not bad, double stroking the base on a 3 spot color on darks with no detail=you can do better :).

this!

and just to add few details, printing through thin mesh deposits a thin layer of ink that will not mushroom out when printed wet on wet. So thinner deposit is a consequence of the thinner mesh and in simulated process especially the inks are more translucent than spot color ink (think 4CP ink, they are very translucent, but that is by design. It lets them blend better and gives you a wider range of colors you can make). So translucent inks on a thin underbase that looks gray rather than white will cause issues. Your choices are hit it twice (on smaller orders) or add a second ubase screen and stroke once all the way around.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #1571 on: October 07, 2014, 01:57:19 PM »
P and Alan, thanks for making my point LOL....... Sometimes I'm not that great with words HAHA

We just printed the green energy engine print today(reorder) and it was 1 pass all the way around on all colors..... No double stroking needed at all

here was a pic of the old print but always look the same

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #1572 on: October 07, 2014, 02:01:30 PM »
P and Alan, thanks for making my point LOL....... Sometimes I'm not that great with words HAHA

We just printed the green energy engine print today(reorder) and it was 1 pass all the way around on all colors..... No double stroking needed at all

here was a pic of the old print but always look the same

Can I buy one of those, its that cool.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #1573 on: October 07, 2014, 02:07:09 PM »
Green all the way to the bank!
Your artist needs a raise!!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #1574 on: October 07, 2014, 02:17:19 PM »
Keep in mind, the size of the art also.  Bigger is better. Many people print images at 40-45lpi on large prints cuz you can easily and the print still looks great.  Take the same 14-16" wide print and print it at 8" across and at 55lpi and the visual quality (and the smooth gradation windows) are reduced. You almost have to treat a smaller print differently than a very large print.  I like to ask my sep customers to take my sim process left chest prints up to 65lpi if I can and I adjust the seps accordingly.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850