Author Topic: What have you printed lately?  (Read 557517 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: What have you printed lately?
« Reply #1605 on: October 08, 2014, 11:20:42 AM »
Does the magic you mentioned involve copious amounts of vodka? :D

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #1606 on: October 08, 2014, 11:42:05 AM »
I agree that skull print is TOPS....... Back to the drawing board for me, obviously need to step up our game again

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #1607 on: October 08, 2014, 11:53:18 AM »
LOL Danny, you definitely do alright for yourself! When I can print as well as either of you I will be happy.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #1608 on: October 08, 2014, 12:45:40 PM »
I  use Static frames, saati mesh, tension 25 Use chameleon printing machine

OHHH but this can't be done with statics ...pfft.. ::)

I think you just won the internet.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #1609 on: October 08, 2014, 01:05:57 PM »
I love it when prints like this show up and we all think they did something really really special and they tell you nope it's done like we all say can't be done that way LOL..static screens 1/1 emulsion cover and then on a manual press films printed from an epson etc :o use what you got and learn how to knock it out the box, great job my brother from Russia.

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #1610 on: October 08, 2014, 01:25:45 PM »
The more I think about this print when it comes to illustrating just how many variables go into making a phenomenal print, the more I wish we could set up some kind of system where we could test eachother and narrow down problems or areas that could be optimized.  I realize there are a ton of different equipment setups and isolating a specific part of the process would be difficult, but I think it would help a ton.

To expand on this idea a little, basically we would all start with the same artwork, something technically challenging yet simple enough that it could be printed on any setup and in a variety of methods.  That skull print is a great example: 3 or 4 screens, lots of detail, fades, etc.  We then each complete the project, but note the variables at each general step of the way.  Finally we have a thread for each general step, like seps and film output, exposure and emulsion choice/coating method/mesh, printing and ink choice/press/print variables.  In each thread we discuss how that step affected the final results, compare pros and cons related to choices made during that step.  Eventually I feel like there would be some interesting conclusions and outliers (like the 90lpi manual print here) that made everyone a better printer.

Just a thought...

edit:  I fully understand not everyone would want to participate or be able to participate.  Someone like Danny who is printing balls to the wall all the time may not have the time, or some of us might have little competitive edge type knowledge that we wouldn't share, but really any info and discussion where we can isolate differences and compare results based on a common starting point would be informative.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 01:29:11 PM by mimosatexas »

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #1611 on: October 08, 2014, 01:33:20 PM »
What colors? Where? Did I send you the original file? Am I going crazy? Pretty sure I am way too concerned about this print. It is a DC UB and PC top colors, part of me wanted to try WB top colors but I didn't want to add another thing to the mix. I really want to add to the UB screen just on the shield, make it a touch brighter.

Haha no you aren't crazy, I was comparing it to the album cover online.  And the print is sick man!  I now realize my original post didn't emphasize that as much as I thought it did.  I'd be damn proud of it if it came off my press. 

Also, with a cover like that I'll definitely be giving this record a spin.  Haven't listened to much Aesop Rock since Float, which I was stuck on for months when it dropped. 
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #1612 on: October 08, 2014, 01:40:32 PM »
To expand on this idea a little, basically we would all start with the same artwork, something technically challenging yet simple enough that it could be printed on any setup and in a variety of methods.  That skull print is a great example: 3 or 4 screens, lots of detail, fades, etc.  We then each complete the project, but note the variables at each general step of the way.  Finally we have a thread for each general step, like seps and film output, exposure and emulsion choice/coating method/mesh, printing and ink choice/press/print variables.  In each thread we discuss how that step affected the final results, compare pros and cons related to choices made during that step.  Eventually I feel like there would be some interesting conclusions and outliers (like the 90lpi manual print here) that made everyone a better printer.

I've always thought any type of print competition should utilize the same artwork for all entrants, and it would be up to them to separate/print it.  What you're describing wouldn't be a competition of course, but along those same lines it could definitely push people to step up their game and uncover some great techniques in the process.  I think it's a great idea, and would definitely be on board to participate. 
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #1613 on: October 08, 2014, 02:04:07 PM »

Gets my vote

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #1614 on: October 08, 2014, 02:04:57 PM »
The more I think about this print when it comes to illustrating just how many variables go into making a phenomenal print, the more I wish we could set up some kind of system where we could test eachother and narrow down problems or areas that could be optimized.  I realize there are a ton of different equipment setups and isolating a specific part of the process would be difficult, but I think it would help a ton.

Just a thought...

edit:  I fully understand not everyone would want to participate or be able to participate.  Someone like Danny who is printing balls to the wall all the time may not have the time, or some of us might have little competitive edge type knowledge that we wouldn't share, but really any info and discussion where we can isolate differences and compare results based on a common starting point would be informative.

As time permitted, I would definitely be in. That sounds like an awesome idea.

Offline SERJ

« Reply #1615 on: October 09, 2014, 06:59:04 AM »
Does the magic you mentioned involve copious amounts of vodka? :D
Vodka is not relevant, only Jack Daniel's ;D

Offline SERJ

« Reply #1616 on: October 09, 2014, 07:01:11 AM »

I do not understand that won the Internet?

Offline SERJ

« Reply #1617 on: October 09, 2014, 07:06:18 AM »
This Russian TOP secret. But I'm ready to share it ;)

Haha please share! I can keep a secret! Promise.
Welcome to Moscow! :)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #1618 on: October 09, 2014, 07:29:29 AM »
There are printers who claim that statics are an inferior ink transfer mechanism. True at times but rare IMO.

Offline SERJ

« Reply #1619 on: October 09, 2014, 07:34:12 AM »
Another picture is printed in three colors