Author Topic: What have you printed lately?  (Read 558143 times)

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: What have you printed lately?
« Reply #2100 on: July 10, 2015, 02:01:37 AM »
8 color job we printed today.

seps by separation studio (customer wasn't willing to pay for 'professional' separations)... I think it came out pretty nice tho.

Online Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2101 on: July 10, 2015, 08:43:56 AM »
Very nice!  I find myself having to use ultraseps or sep studio a lot here because of customer budgets.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline steeltown

« Reply #2102 on: July 13, 2015, 11:03:34 AM »
I had a simulated process job setup for 4 colors and then they asked me to add black back in.
I added the black back in and reprinted a 5 color job.

1. Brown
2. Black
3. White
4. Blue
5. Flouresant Green

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2103 on: July 13, 2015, 04:34:35 PM »
Nice print Steel, but that driver side front wheel looks funny and I don't know a lick about dirt track racing...I got a question why would you do this in Simprocess looks like a straight spot color at least that is what we would have printed, if I'm wrong just correct me  :)

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2104 on: July 13, 2015, 07:28:10 PM »
Only guessing, but looks like 2 shades of the green.  Perhaps he halftoned that to get 2 shades.

Brown also looks to have a blending of shades.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2105 on: July 13, 2015, 07:46:51 PM »
looks spot to me.  With simple solid area fades like that I would still call it spot and just sep it quickly by hand.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2106 on: July 13, 2015, 09:24:53 PM »
Semantics really.   One persons Sim process is another persons Spot print. Many people call Spot color printing with halftones a sim process design.  Others take a more literal approach and prefer to deem Sim process as only when blending one color or more into another to create a 3rd or a 4th color etc.   For me, I say "it doesn't matter one way or the other as long as you know what you're trying to do with the print. :)  I guess I'm a contributor to the idea that we have no real clear boundaries as to what is and is not Sim process.

For this print, he originally deemed it as 4 color simulated process (but customer needed black in the print for other shirt colors) I guess. So, The fact that he was using halftones may not signify true "sim" process, but it is multi color with halftone work and a pretty good job at printing it.

The tire does look odd as it is, but giving the fact that cars in motions and referencing photo's cane be miss leading. It takes time to get good at representing motion and odd angles that can be difficult to translate in print.  Give that, it's a decent job o er all. Good print, and good enough art to make the sale. THE SALE is where it's at. Make that and you're doing good.
The rest will come with more experience. I can remember struggling with some jobs that still haunt my dreams today.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline SERJ

« Reply #2107 on: July 14, 2015, 10:00:56 AM »
The printing of black and white designs with Magnaprint HB Opaque
Generally for printing of black and white designs I used to employed dark gray, gray and white inks. It’s classic way. I decided to carry out experiment with HB Opaque.  HB Opaque was used instead of all gray colors.
The first color is Red Magnaprint Discharge AB AW + pigment.
The second color is Magnaprint HB Opaque , the print was dark grey.
Flash
The third color is Magnaprint HB Opaque , light gray gradations appeared.
Flash
The fourth color is Magnaprint HB Opaque, the contrast appeared.

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #2108 on: July 14, 2015, 11:05:18 AM »
For this print, he originally deemed it as 4 color simulated process (but customer needed black in the print for other shirt colors) I guess. So, The fact that he was using halftones may not signify true "sim" process, but it is multi color with halftone work and a pretty good job at printing it.

I would classify the print in question, a multi color. I would think that there is an additional white not listed or the under-base is print/flash/print.

In the ISS awards categories a sim-proc may be entered as a multi color but a multi color, such as the one above, may not be entered as a sim-proc.
Dale Hoyal

Offline Orion

• !!!
« Reply #2109 on: July 14, 2015, 11:11:14 AM »
So Serj, you used varying ratios of white/base mix and activator on this job?
Dale Hoyal

Offline SERJ

« Reply #2110 on: July 15, 2015, 02:51:09 AM »
It's just the white ink

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #2111 on: July 15, 2015, 10:25:49 AM »
Here are a few from the last week.

This one was about 1000 pieces, 8 color.  I thought I had a few pics of the actual production run but all I could find was the first test print pic which is good enough but it's a tad bit out of reg on the blue.  So on this setup we had to do 2 test prints to get it dialed in so our system is working well.  The back to this shirt was identical to the next pic except smaller for an upper back placement, but printed the same with same colors.

This one was for the same customer as the above job, 640 pieces, 7 color spot.  Printed black first and stepped on it 640 times with no buildup on the UB screen.

Then we had this 4 color one, really easy print.  I put the base on a 225/40 and the tan, brown and red were on 280's.  We had a top white for it but we ended up leaving it out since the print looked like the proof without the

And this one is very boring and not worthy of this thread but we did do a one hit white for this one and printed the forest green then the white.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Orion

• !!!
« Reply #2112 on: July 15, 2015, 11:08:44 AM »
Alan, what brand/series of black ink and mesh count did you use on the heather shirt?
Dale Hoyal

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #2113 on: July 15, 2015, 11:31:05 AM »
It is Joe's Next Generation black.  It was on a 225/40.  It's not completely "build-up proof" but you have to go out of your way to get it to build up.  We print black first all the time and I've only had it build up once.  When you touch the ink on the next screen it's always wet and only that one time was it dry/chalky feeling.  When it comes to a black ink, the number one factor for me is if it can print wet on wet.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Orion

• !!!
« Reply #2114 on: July 16, 2015, 05:46:46 PM »
Another 6 color sim-proc. All plastisol...
Dale Hoyal