Author Topic: What have you printed lately?  (Read 557728 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: What have you printed lately?
« Reply #195 on: September 29, 2011, 01:14:05 PM »
Notice how nice and clean these dischrge prints are. And check out the color vibrancy. This is part of the reason I believe this process; when executed properly, is superior to a plastisol or even plasticharge underbased print. The fun comes when you start playing around with halftones, overlays, bleeds, etc
Nicely done folks

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #196 on: September 29, 2011, 01:24:50 PM »
Notice how nice and clean these dischrge prints are. And check out the color vibrancy. This is part of the reason I believe this process; when executed properly, is superior to a plastisol or even plasticharge underbased print. The fun comes when you start playing around with halftones, overlays, bleeds, etc
Nicely done folks

Thanks Tony. Thanks also for all the information that you share about this process. I am pretty excited about doing more stuff. Right now the biggest curve is getting the whole process from screens to print dialed in and I will be much happier. Halftones are next in line for a run of company shirts to hand out.

Squeegee those are nice prints man!!!!
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #197 on: September 29, 2011, 01:31:08 PM »
Here's a couple we did

sericol for blue and grey, rutland for white, all 150's, flashed between colors, gildan 5000

sericol for green, the mix was a b!tch, white rutland, 230/40 for green, 150 for white and double stroked, flashed between colors, delta 11730 grass green

How come you flashed between the colors on the Mid Atlantic one? Using a 150 mesh depositing to much ink for wet on wet?
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #198 on: September 29, 2011, 01:36:52 PM »
I just noticed that about the flashing.........I absolutely never need to do this. Maybe a just in case?

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #199 on: September 29, 2011, 02:09:37 PM »

Artwork done by Dot-tone-Dan...he was awesome...he is making me look good....

Enjoy...

Sam

Offline squeegee

« Reply #200 on: September 29, 2011, 02:50:39 PM »
I just noticed that about the flashing.........I absolutely never need to do this. Maybe a just in case?

The result was noticibly better on both prints with than without, so I don't know.  We've done some that are fine without, others that are not, could have been the garments...

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #201 on: September 29, 2011, 02:58:44 PM »
I am glad somebody is making you look good Sam.

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #202 on: September 29, 2011, 03:03:33 PM »
no kidding huh brad....

Offline squeegee

« Reply #203 on: September 29, 2011, 03:08:20 PM »
How come you flashed between the colors on the Mid Atlantic one? Using a 150 mesh depositing to much ink for wet on wet?

Could be I suppose, the print looked okay WOW but popped more with flashing.  Like I was saying to Tony, some of our prints look great WOW, others have looked better flashed.  150/48 or 230/40 are what we usually use for spot color discharge, maybe it's just me but higher than that has needed a double hit if it's high coverage area to really pop like the Mid Atlantic design.  I noticed you were adding water to yours, maybe that would help with penetration and help get away from flashing?  What % do you add?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #204 on: September 29, 2011, 03:12:43 PM »
could it be that flashing removes some moisture from the shirt and you get a better cure?
do the colors change if you run them through the dryer twice?

just a thought, 'very limited discharge experience here . . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline squeegee

« Reply #205 on: September 29, 2011, 03:24:49 PM »
could it be that flashing removes some moisture from the shirt and you get a better cure?

pierre

I don't think that's the issue because single color prints and some WOW multi color prints are fine through our dryer, we have tried double passes and nothing changes.  I know many say no need to flash, so I'd like to know how/what to change, no flashing sounds good to me.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #206 on: September 29, 2011, 03:35:28 PM »
Probably is the Sericol RFU (Ithink that's what you're using). I always use a PC/Base and can better control pigment strength. Also activator strength. Sometimes 8% is too much for some colors especially deep hues. Never use white PC or ink in formulas BTW unless for a pastel. And red always pops a tick more when printed last in sequence.

Offline squeegee

« Reply #207 on: September 29, 2011, 03:47:13 PM »
I have settled on RFU for colors basically because it's already hard enough to make colors without factoring in max pigment loads, but I'd revisit that possibly.  So I know you use CCI base right, Oasis pigments, both I have, so let me ask you, what would be the max pigment % used to base do you think?  I know in Oasis soft base the max recommended is 6% and I have gotten away with a tad over 7%, but in discharge base?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #208 on: September 29, 2011, 03:58:55 PM »

pierre

I don't think that's the issue because single color prints and some WOW multi color prints are fine through our dryer, we have tried double passes and nothing changes.  I know many say no need to flash, so I'd like to know how/what to change, no flashing sounds good to me.

oh, well it was worth a shot!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #209 on: September 29, 2011, 04:00:17 PM »

Could be I suppose, the print looked okay WOW but popped more with flashing.  Like I was saying to Tony, some of our prints look great WOW, others have looked better flashed.  150/48 or 230/40 are what we usually use for spot color discharge, maybe it's just me but higher than that has needed a double hit if it's high coverage area to really pop like the Mid Atlantic design.  I noticed you were adding water to yours, maybe that would help with penetration and help get away from flashing?  What % do you add?

I have been adding 5% by weight for water. I was told that it would help with the drying of ink on the screen. I have not played with different water %'s yet to see the different effects that it has. I have not had a drying problem even when it has been hot so this might be why. On this particular one I used 7% agent for the yellow, 5% for the red, 3% for the blue, and 3% for the white.
www.inkwerksspd.com