Author Topic: What have you printed lately?  (Read 557487 times)

Offline LoneWolf2

Re: What have you printed lately?
« Reply #2415 on: April 15, 2016, 01:35:50 PM »
I really don't think you need a license if you are printing for a license holder. I know of four license holders here in Austin for Greek life and they "print" the vast majority of that work. None of them are printers, just brokers. I can think of a dozen shops that have printed for them though, and none of them also hold licenses that I know of...

To be clear, the shops are not dealing with the end clients, and affinity is getting their cut on the goods (as far as I know). I know this kind of relationship applies to lots of other licenses...

I do know if a sorority member walked into my shop and asked for something to be printed I would tell them no...

You don't need a license to print for the license holder, plain and simple. That'd be double dipping on one sale, more or less.
I contracted out Greek stuff for a while before I actually had all my equipment and never had any problems doing so. As long as Affinity gets their percentage, they're happy.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2416 on: April 15, 2016, 02:38:43 PM »
That's what I have always thought.  It's like sales tax.  The state doesnt care who pays it, it just wants it.  SO, either you pay it after collection it from your client, or your client pays it after collection it from their customer.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2417 on: April 16, 2016, 02:32:56 PM »
So we don't get too many complex prints to post on this thread, but here is a cool one we are printing on hoodies and T's-

5 color discharge

Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2418 on: April 16, 2016, 02:42:24 PM »
Nice as all get out. 
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2419 on: April 16, 2016, 03:07:29 PM »
Good lucking stuff there Alex!
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2420 on: April 16, 2016, 03:27:15 PM »
Looks great Alex!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2421 on: April 16, 2016, 08:24:08 PM »
Fantastic Alex!  How did that job run regarding dry-in and what lpi and such? 

We've found that DC does ok on our finer mesh at 55lpi+ but WB likes to clog out too rapidly and we lose low % range dots.  Our humidity situation being the presumable culprit.  It's led me to go with DC UB + plasti on art like this v. straight WB/DC which would often be preferred.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2422 on: April 16, 2016, 08:28:35 PM »
Finished this project this week.  4 color poster for flying lotus at 24x16.  Black Light ink is TW Clear mixes with Nazdar flo pigments and black tw ink key layer.  Also I printed and designed this napalm death poster I made last week on fisheye mirror lens squares 30x20.  Same inks.

These are crazy, love them!  Would kill to be at that Napalm Death/Melvins/Melt Banana show. 

Also love the larger format, can't help but always want flatstock to print super big.  That must be nice to scratch that itch. 

What press are you running these on out of curiosity?  I never had much success at larger print size with the old American clamshells I used with TW inks, it was dicey work at best and required careful tuning of the ink rheology.  I determined that a 4 post or parallel lift would be ideal for the larger stuff.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2423 on: April 16, 2016, 10:55:56 PM »

We've found that DC does ok on our finer mesh at 55lpi+ but WB likes to clog out too rapidly and we lose low % range dots.  Our humidity situation being the presumable culprit.  It's led me to go with DC UB + plasti on art like this v. straight WB/DC which would often be preferred.
Haha! Let's see, I'll chalk it up to ignorance and luck! We keep spray bottles with water and retarder in them and spray a lot! Changing of seasons here the humidity on press(well the gauge we have on the press) when we were printing these was 25% one day, and 42% the very next day.

Screens were all 200s, except the white which was a 180s.

Have 2 other really cool designs from the same artist coming up this week. I'll post them if we don't botch them! ;)

Thanks guys!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline SI

• !!!
« Reply #2424 on: April 17, 2016, 08:14:16 PM »
Those are awesome, Ashame you weren't printing that job when i came to visit

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2425 on: April 17, 2016, 08:25:52 PM »

Haha! Let's see, I'll chalk it up to ignorance and luck! We keep spray bottles with water and retarder in them and spray a lot! Changing of seasons here the humidity on press(well the gauge we have on the press) when we were printing these was 25% one day, and 42% the very next day.

Screens were all 200s, except the white which was a 180s.

Have 2 other really cool designs from the same artist coming up this week. I'll post them if we don't botch them! ;)

Thanks guys!

I always thought it was really cool you did all the rhymesayers stuff.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline UnderPressureSP

« Reply #2426 on: April 18, 2016, 08:25:58 AM »
Finished this project this week.  4 color poster for flying lotus at 24x16.  Black Light ink is TW Clear mixes with Nazdar flo pigments and black tw ink key layer.  Also I printed and designed this napalm death poster I made last week on fisheye mirror lens squares 30x20.  Same inks.

These are crazy, love them!  Would kill to be at that Napalm Death/Melvins/Melt Banana show. 

Also love the larger format, can't help but always want flatstock to print super big.  That must be nice to scratch that itch. 

What press are you running these on out of curiosity?  I never had much success at larger print size with the old American clamshells I used with TW inks, it was dicey work at best and required careful tuning of the ink rheology.  I determined that a 4 post or parallel lift would be ideal for the larger stuff.

I Print on a saturn 2 30x40.  I really like working and making art in a bigger size.   Now when I print 24x16 it looks tiny and super easy to print. 

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2427 on: April 18, 2016, 12:38:24 PM »
Yeah that Melt Banana print looks like they sound.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2428 on: April 18, 2016, 09:24:44 PM »
This one is like the 3rd that come off the press so the red finally smoothed out after about 10 more but here is one that we did today.  Definitely not as cool as Alex's but had some small detail that I was proud to pull off.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #2429 on: April 18, 2016, 09:36:33 PM »
That pocket watch looks Crisp! Nice work