Author Topic: What have you printed lately?  (Read 557572 times)

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
Re: What have you printed lately?
« Reply #495 on: August 21, 2012, 07:00:32 PM »
You're right, needs less yellow and more Penny!  ;)

Nice print!
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #496 on: August 21, 2012, 07:22:02 PM »
Pimp, how are you outputting the indexed colors?

Nice work and probably a few miles above most of this type of work that I see. 

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #497 on: August 21, 2012, 10:13:45 PM »
@ Nick, nice print! Just asking, and not that it needed one, no need for a white over on this job?

@ Pimp, Wow! Really nice print. I have never had the chance to use 11 colors in a design. You guys pulled this one off, great job!
Dale Hoyal

Offline Nick Bane

« Reply #498 on: August 22, 2012, 12:04:26 AM »
Nice print there Pimp.

@Orion, no, no white on that one, didnt really need it and customer wanted to keep the colors to 5.  besides, i think they said something about it being meant to draw attention to the sandwiches...yeah im told theres some sandwiches in that print but i havent seen em yet hahaha. 8)
Bane Ink - 619-701-4283

Offline PixelPimp

• Verified/Junior
  • putting pixels to work since 1984
« Reply #499 on: August 22, 2012, 11:26:41 AM »
@ZooCity: what do you mean by 'how am i outputting the index colors'? i'm happy to share any info or techniques, just not sure of the question.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #500 on: August 22, 2012, 11:34:42 AM »
how are you sending them to the inkjet?  bitmap from ps or your rip?

Offline PixelPimp

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #501 on: August 22, 2012, 12:12:20 PM »
i've done both, using eps or channeled psd (works great in cs5) and letting the RIP (ECRM RIP) do the halftones. as well as making my own using bitmap mode. the trick with bitmap mode is the math when doing the halftone pattern, you need the output to be 300ppi or higher for decent dots. So using this print as an example, the index was done at 180ppi, so when making the bitmap halftones the output was 360ppi. raster images work on a grid and a grid is square so when we increasing the ppi, it should be squared. If not the program is forced to interprit and you often end up with odd shapes/noise. easiest way is to multiply by 2 or 4

Offline PixelPimp

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #502 on: September 05, 2012, 02:38:36 PM »
another 11 color index. print came out good but could be improved.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #503 on: September 05, 2012, 03:10:28 PM »
Looks great!  I like the subtle detail and the smooth shading.

How many colors and mesh?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline PixelPimp

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #504 on: September 05, 2012, 03:36:29 PM »
Hi Dan! thanks for the compliment. the job is an 11 color index (including underbase), image resolution is 180ppi. i believe the mesh used was 305 HD mesh from Murakami (altho i don't see any 305HD listed on there product sheet), could be 300 HD.
I really wish they would use S, i think the HD is causing them press issues on the fine detail jobs but i don't know enough about mesh to debate them.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #505 on: September 05, 2012, 03:41:47 PM »
Not to pick a fight Dan but that is how I would have basically approached this for the Corvette. Especially for a licensed (?) property.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #506 on: September 05, 2012, 03:57:52 PM »
I never liked the hd meshes. They are more durable though so static stretchers like them so they ship ok and if yer press ops need to lay floods and squeegees on the mesh to setup and tear down it will damage the 30 micron threads on the S.  Super delicate stuff, but one of my favorites.

310/30 just dumps ink for a tpi like that though, might be worth the headache of switching.  You could likely up the ppi on the square dots too.

Offline CastleKing

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #507 on: September 05, 2012, 04:01:36 PM »
Here is one we did recently. 11 colors 55lpi. Super soft hand.
Dan Zmuda
Nazdar SourceOne
Product Manager

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #508 on: September 05, 2012, 04:25:11 PM »
@ Tony,

No fight here.  :D   I can relate and a printer of your calibre is often using the most colors to achieve the best quality print. If allowed and if available, I'd do the same.  The thing is, for me and most of my customers, 90% of them have an 8 color or less press. So, I'm accustom to knocking the art down to what will work for them.  I'm pretty good at pushing the limits and getting the most out of a press.

Car clubs are not usually going through the approval process of the licensor. You can bet it they had a license and they did go through them to get approval, they'd be in a new ball game. They'd have to go to a company and use 12 colors ect.

I've separated about 20 or more car jobs this year so far (if I had to guess) and I can bet that none of them had licensing from any car manufacturer.

Look at the race car scene. How many tees are made up for race car events and never go through  Chevy or you name it to get approval yet, if you slap the word NASCAR on it, you better have approval.   Licensing is monitored for the retailers and not so much the car enthusiast.  Although, I know, if I were to ask them, (the car manufacturers) they'd all say they will not allow it. They have to.

Truth be told, most every licensor has a portion of those who get away with it and are not chased down. A few examples are, Warner Bro's Taz character on Fire trucks. Another more bold approach is the local screen printer who prints up 15 tees for a family reunion headed to Disney. They have them walking all over the place. You can see group of 15-40 cheerleaders all on the same shirt printed with some Disney characters on it and the Disney logo.  In fact, Disney noticed an opportunity and is now offering it as a service to those types of groups and reunions using DTG.

Is it actually legal?  No. Technically I'd say no, but every case has an exception and special circumstances. In addition, I'll note that I myself, have contacted Ford directly and spoke with a representative of the licensing department and was given approval to do an ongoing project as long as I can show them once completed, yet I do not actually have a license. Getting what you need to do with approval is all in the legal speak. Cover their bases, give them what they require in terms of ownership and following guidelines and "sometimes" you can get things passed and you don't always need a "license" per say. Just approval.  I'm not mass producing their cars and selling them at retail stores or even 100 or so at special events. I think thats a big part of it.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #509 on: September 05, 2012, 04:39:12 PM »
Well stated Dan! Yes when I was printing for a license holder all designs, including most car clubs, had to be approved. I'm sure you can relate to where they love to gang up three or more cars on a shirt and you have to hit the tints and shades of all three plus more spot halftones.. Thats where all of those heads/screens come in.