Author Topic: What have you printed lately?  (Read 557425 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: What have you printed lately?
« Reply #705 on: May 14, 2013, 05:59:14 PM »
Had a extra, here is Shelly giving you a Thumbs up with said shirt!

I especially like the detail in the thumb and arm. Very realistic! :)
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #706 on: May 14, 2013, 06:01:31 PM »
Why does Shelly's arm not have any shadows or highlights that match said printed extra shirt? It almost looks like she purposely put the photo-shopped hand, I mean her arm over the earlier mentioned fold that goes into the back tire of the top car. How does this "extra" shirt also have the exact same fold? If you zoom way in you can also see where it looks very much like a rubber stamping of the word shutterstock on "Shelly's arm".  i'm not saying your trying to cover anything up here but I have my eye on you. ..... ..... .. ..

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #707 on: May 14, 2013, 06:07:32 PM »
Ha Good call Jon.  It's forgery for sure. Thats not even Shelly's arm. Shelly had read hair and that arm is obviously from an Italian.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #708 on: May 14, 2013, 06:07:55 PM »
LOL
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #709 on: May 14, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
Ha Good call Jon.  It's forgery for sure. Thats not even Shelly's arm. Shelly had read hair and that arm is obviously from an Italian.

hahah!....PROFILING!
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #710 on: May 14, 2013, 06:32:51 PM »
Love all the new stuff, but does anyone care to give the nuts and bolts of how it was printed?  Mesh count, halftone settings, number of strokes, flashes, or revolutions?  No big deal really but that kind of info is what I get into.  We've printed some sim and 4 color process stuff recently but I don't really like the results we are getting with the inks and techniques we are using.  Union's triple strength process inks for the 4cp and various spot colors for the sim.  We use a variety of different mesh counts for the UB but stay pretty true to the 280 and 305's for top colors.  I could be a little hard on ourselves and we try to print everything with one stroke and one revolution of the press but maybe that's where we are falling short and those jobs simply take more time to print and I am being stubborn.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #711 on: May 14, 2013, 07:05:34 PM »

hahah!....PROFILING!

I agree, racial!! 

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #712 on: May 14, 2013, 07:13:48 PM »
Love all the new stuff, but does anyone care to give the nuts and bolts of how it was printed?  Mesh count, halftone settings, number of strokes, flashes, or revolutions?  No big deal really but that kind of info is what I get into.  We've printed some sim and 4 color process stuff recently but I don't really like the results we are getting with the inks and techniques we are using.  Union's triple strength process inks for the 4cp and various spot colors for the sim.  We use a variety of different mesh counts for the UB but stay pretty true to the 280 and 305's for top colors.  I could be a little hard on ourselves and we try to print everything with one stroke and one revolution of the press but maybe that's where we are falling short and those jobs simply take more time to print and I am being stubborn.

For our print....230s, union and Wilflex ink, 1 stroke, 1 revolution, 2 flashes on the press, not sure on her halftone settings. 

Static frames btw

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #713 on: May 14, 2013, 11:25:06 PM »

Static frames btw

Oh no he didn't!  :P
Just messing with ya Brandt, we use probably 85% statics also. The prints are killer, I can see how you can keep your in house artists busy!

We don't seem to be cool enough to do any complex car stuff but below is a print we did a bit ago. It is a real crappy phone pic so you guys will probably wonder why I like it so much, but it ended up being 9 colors. Probably my favorite print we have done. Nothing that really POPS but it was awesome tone on tone definition. The whole style/look that the design was going for was that. Customer was super happy and so were we!

Underbase was a 190 I belive, all the rest were 305's except the "flesh" was a 280 or something close. 9 colors, 1 flash. Statics. Bam!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 11:27:30 PM by TCT »
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #714 on: May 14, 2013, 11:31:19 PM »
TCT,

Great print. A print of old people, you don't see much.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #715 on: May 14, 2013, 11:57:14 PM »
TCT,

Don't think of them as "old people" more like the human equivalent of "classic cars"... I feel cooler that way! ;)
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #716 on: May 15, 2013, 12:22:17 AM »
TCT,

Don't think of them as "old people" more like the human equivalent of "classic cars"... I feel cooler that way! ;)

Well then let every retirement home from this point on considered a hotrod show.

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #717 on: May 15, 2013, 01:55:54 AM »

I don't mind sharing as imo a great sim process or 4cp shirt really steams around 1. great artwork 2. great seps and 3. press testing. The sim and 4cp process stuff you've posted all looked real nice so maybe your just being uber picky. I think anyone passionate about their printing gets that way and looks at everything with a critical eye. The design I posted earlier here's the specs. Just recently switched to wm pim pms system which I use for the sim work and so far so good. I've gone from wilflex to union back to wilflex then tried qcm, and now am using the wm and so far I like it.

All screens are newman rollers w/ newman mesh,  base on205 mesh @ 42n, all other colors on 272 @ 40n 55lpi 22.5 angle on all, oc approx 1/16th.

On this print I revolved the white base only because I'm picky and want a super vibrant print. If the shirt color was anything but black I would not revolve, only black. Fairly fast squeegee stroke on my white base so the press is moving @ decent rate, single stroke on all other colors.

1. Base White
    Flash
2. Grey 430
3. Green 354
4. Process Cyan
5. Purple 253
    Flash
7. Yellow 123
8. Orange 713
9. Red 485
10. Highlight White

If I can make time we try to sharpen squeegees before jobs like this, make sure inks early in the order have the opacity needed and wow capabilities and the blending colors have a nice transparency. I've come to learn every shop is different though so what works for one might not the other, art is diff, seps are diff, inks are diff(I can run same screens, just switch out ink to another brand but same pms and totally change the look of the print) etc. It all comes down to testing and since contracting our artist on a full time level now I've just began our testing. Hopefully soon I can dial our process in to a much improved print since I do have a long way to go. All our prints are done on pneumatic head presses now so hopefully when our ch3 arrives we can improve some more. Maybe we can open up a discussion on how the prints are done then send boxes of shirts around like Pierre mentioned so we can all hopefully improve some stuff.

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #718 on: May 15, 2013, 07:05:22 AM »

Static frames btw

Oh no he didn't!  :P
Just messing with ya Brandt, we use probably 85% statics also. The prints are killer, I can see how you can keep your in house artists busy!

Thanks!  He's enjoying it I think, his last job was pre-press with a offset printer.  He's always been a artist and did stuff on the side.  Since coming here though, we put a powerful computer in his hands, a tablet, and time...thing's he's really never had and his artwork is improving daily.  Proud of him.  Proud of our company!

Glad to hear I am not the only one left on statics, I really need to make the investment in Newmans.  Soon I think. 

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #719 on: May 15, 2013, 09:40:36 AM »
Yeah Danny, I was wondering mainly if the UB on a lot of these prints were PFPF before top colors were put on.  When we do these types of jobs during setup we'll experiment with revolver and double stroking different colors and even the UB and to be honest, most of the time the print does look better with doubling the amount of work put in.  But because of time and if the job isn't small we will maximize everything so that the print looks good with one stroke and one revolution.  We haven't really done any of the "car type" prints that many of you have done but maybe one day we will so that I'll have something to compare ours to.  I've also thought about dropping our mesh counts down so that enough ink is deposited with one stroke but most of the time the artwork won't allow it.  We have one coming up next week that I'll experiment with and maybe get my artist to adjust the art so we could go a little lower on mesh count, maybe to a 225/40 for tops and maybe a 180/48 for the base.

Thanks for sharing guys.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.