Author Topic: What have you printed lately?  (Read 557609 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: What have you printed lately?
« Reply #900 on: October 23, 2013, 06:42:59 AM »
Can't post pics of our stuff and have exhausted old pics but no matter. You folks are doing great work. Love to see side by side DC sim Pro and classic Plas UB though. I have done a few experiments over the ys and am always pleased with the end results. That said we rely on technique and design vs the eight plus screen work. Thats just our market.
We have a few tricks up our sleeves to achieve maximum impact with minimum effort. They came from years of experimenting, analyzing, implementing, and documenting. These days they have become SOP although we continue to try to be different.
Again nice work by all!

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #901 on: October 23, 2013, 04:20:47 PM »
Tony, I would love to do some dc style comparisons with our designs comparing our plastisol style prints...... I would love to see some side by side prints but the fact is I'm not comfortable with the wb/discharge systems yet, mixing systems, etc...... As you damn well know it's taken you years upon years to get to the point where you kill it with waterbase inks, me on the hand am pretty piss poor at printing wb so for me to do comparisons would be pointless. If I were to send you art sep files or layered art(not sepped) would you be interested in doing some prints so we can all compare our plasitsol prints to your wb discharge prints? I would love to see the difference first hand but like I said I'm nowhere near proficient enough with wb to properly compare them myself.... Just figured one of these days maybe you can print one of our designs with your process and we can all compare the differences. Maybe even send shirts to guys like P, dtd, etc and have them look at the difference between them. Would make for a cool discussion for sure!

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #902 on: October 23, 2013, 04:43:43 PM »
always love checkin in here and seeing the stuff Danny and Brandt are printing.  Always makes me wish I was doing more of that kind of work too!  Awesome stuff all around in here.  Inspiring.

Wow, we are no where near as good as Danny I am sure of that.  We do get to design and print some cool art at times.  We are improving all of the time on printing though.  Thanks for the compliment though!

Like Brandt said we are always improving our prints but I will say it over and over again.....We have a lot of room to improve to be as good as some of the others out there and one thing that hasn't been brought up is the technology at our fingertips..... I had a conversation with Mark Coudray recently and we discussed the technology that we have at our fingertips now vs years back then they had nothing....These days we have awesome screen mesh, frames, inks, presses, dts machines, better art programs, etc etc etc etc.....So with that said I have more respect for guys like him and others who had to MAKE their own technology because they couldn't just call up a newman or m&r or wilflex and get the best stuff on the market. So for me I wouldn't be able to do half of what we do if it werent for technology and the stuff we can call up and purchase..... Guys like Mark, Lon, Rick, Andy A etc have been putting out prints that are as good or better then the stuff today with no technology so for me they are the kings..... guys like me, well yeah my prints wouldn't be half of what they are without the technology we have today...... That's why we have come such a long ways in such a short amount of time.... I've spent hours upon days doing my own testing and improving products so a lot has to be said for that but at the end of the day without the technology and companies making killer products we would still be printing some crappy stuff, lol! A couple years ago I would have never thought I would be printing at the level we are today so anyone on this forum that has doubts of what they can do needs to look at me and realize it can be done....In 2007 I had a 300 dollar manual press and didn't even know how to push ink through a screen hell I didn't even know how a shirt was made at the time.... True story there but I probably learned more and became a great printer from a lot of you guys out there on this very forum.... Spending hours upon hours reading forums and then doing my own testing has put us in position to crank out some awesome looking prints..... At the end of the day we are just trying to keep improving and hopefully make a dollar someday but until then we certainly appreciate everyone checking our prints so thanks again for the kind words for those who have commented.....I'll try to keep posting designs as we print and hopefully more will join the club

Danny Gruninger

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #903 on: October 24, 2013, 07:06:56 AM »
Danny; the prints excecuted at HNG, Oats, Winterland, Habitat, etc in the 80's were extroadinary and most used statics and homemade ink formulas and printed on presses that may seem laughable to some. I was involved in a lot of this. Sometimes I'd be running night shifts with eight or more autos, others it was R&D. We had almost zero outside help but folks like Greaves, Geoff Baxter, and MC were there to help get it to where it was. Imagesetters had a lot to do with the print quality but it was all about the people. It would be awesome to post some of those shirts I'm sure it would spark a long thread.
Heres one from a couple of ys ago (not printed here) where  a DC/UB helped achieve continuous tone

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #904 on: October 24, 2013, 07:28:10 AM »
Some more from last couple days. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #905 on: October 24, 2013, 07:38:42 AM »
Cool stuff Brandt.......seems like you're doing it on a regular basis! Danny I would not be allowed to do a comparisson as much as I would like. My fellow Senior Mngrs would not approve as we would have zero to gain and they would consider that oversharing.
sorry man

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #906 on: October 24, 2013, 07:51:34 AM »
Cool stuff Brandt.......seems like you're doing it on a regular basis!

Thanks Tony, means a lot coming from you.  We are fortunate enough not to be printing boring stuff often at all.  However there is a lot more boring stuff out there to print than there is cool.  I wouldn't mind some boring stuff at times.  I honestly cant tell you the last time we printed a single color shirt, but we finally have a small 290pc run on the books Friday for a 1 color on white, 1 side.  Most everything we print, probably a good 90% is sim process. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #907 on: October 24, 2013, 09:04:31 AM »
I think I've posted this one before but not sure.  I like this one because the text is so bright, yet it's got an ink deposit thickness of about 50 microns.  It's got a rare combination of very thin ink deposit yet 100% opacity.  It's been a while since we printed this so I don't remember the specs.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #908 on: October 24, 2013, 11:02:20 AM »
One we did yesterday, this was left chest, full back (pictured), and then left and right long sleeves.  So it was a 2/4/2/2 and took a big chunk of production time to get it done.  This was a test print but it should be one of the final ones before we started production. Me and our artist didn't really like the art and our argument was a sailfish doesn't really look like that with the color scheme and my artist tried to change their art a little to make it look more like a real sailfish but of course the customer wins out.  The royal outline on the black didn't look very good either and that was another issue we had with it but the customer wants what he wants.  Simple 4 color, royal, black, yellow and navy, wet on wet.  205's on the black and royal, 225/40's on the navy and yellow. 

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #909 on: October 24, 2013, 11:29:44 AM »
Danny; the prints excecuted at HNG, Oats, Winterland, Habitat, etc in the 80's were extroadinary and most used statics and homemade ink formulas and printed on presses that may seem laughable to some. I was involved in a lot of this. Sometimes I'd be running night shifts with eight or more autos, others it was R&D. We had almost zero outside help but folks like Greaves, Geoff Baxter, and MC were there to help get it to where it was. Imagesetters had a lot to do with the print quality but it was all about the people. It would be awesome to post some of those shirts I'm sure it would spark a long thread.
Heres one from a couple of ys ago (not printed here) where  a DC/UB helped achieve continuous tone
Now that's is dam good the detail is so F'ing good...I really would like to attend some classes and get better, but hey I print what paids the bills...Awesome Print Tony

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #910 on: October 24, 2013, 12:23:44 PM »
Thanks. Printed with stats on a 20+ yr old old school Challenger. Some times seps, mesh selection, and print sequencing can do a lot with a litttle. Back at Harlequin when we weren't always sure we had a process engineering division in a trailer back down by the swamp and, on an Arrow multiprinter, would work it out with different configurations to be sure when orders came into production they were properly engineered. They would layout the films on a ginormous light table and study them, along with the colors (which were used in the original paintings, pastels, watercolors, etc). After a while you just know......well usually anyway.
At OATS we did this manually and that sometimes caused problems but not so much.

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #911 on: October 24, 2013, 01:29:54 PM »
Tony, awesome looking print man! Great job on that..... Love the skin tones on his face, that looks spot on..... What kind of lpi and screen specs were you guys using back then?

So in order to create more postings here I'll jump in with a real basic print. Here's a hoodie that we are printing for google right now, going on different color hoodies. These are the type of prints that I absolutely hate doing.... All spot colors touching each other, colors must hit the exact pms etc...... But hopefully this will spark some more postings. Personally I just like seeing prints from other shops, doesn't matter if it's sim process, 4cp, or basic spot. Just cool to know what everyone else is working on imo!

Danny Gruninger

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #912 on: October 24, 2013, 05:01:14 PM »
I'm just blown away on the print Tony posted and the one Alan posted, something about seeing people come to life with a screenprint is awesome, although I seen some darn good graphic prints...people just take the cake with me.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #913 on: October 24, 2013, 06:48:16 PM »
This is nowhere near as spectacular as the prints I see posted here, but I thought I'd post one I printed today.  Forgive the fuzzy iphone pics.  This was 8 colors including a discharge underbase and plastisol top colors.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #914 on: October 25, 2013, 08:27:57 AM »
This is nowhere near as spectacular as the prints I see posted here, but I thought I'd post one I printed today.  Forgive the fuzzy iphone pics.  This was 8 colors including a discharge underbase and plastisol top colors.

Are you kidding?  Visually that just blew me back a few feet, that is great work. The closeup looks like the print quality can't get any better.  Personally, that doesn't take a backseat to anything that I've seen posted.  It may not have been technically as hard as some I've seen but that's a homerun.  I wish I had one to show off at the workshops I do.