Author Topic: Suppliers for flatstock substrates?  (Read 2523 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Suppliers for flatstock substrates?
« on: February 28, 2013, 11:27:22 PM »
Who's good?  At the moment I'm trying to find EarthFirst PLA or similar and adhesive kraft paper.  Kind of lost on where to look for this stuff.

Offline ol man

Re: Suppliers for flatstock substrates?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 11:36:43 PM »
We use MAC papers, Paper plus, and Xpedex.   All distributors of various paper lines

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 11:49:50 PM »
Here in houston we have like 5 or 6 different paper only suppliers.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 12:50:35 AM »
We got us an Xpedex in the state and I'm actually neighboring a West Coast Papers warehouse.  I thought it would be super handy to have a supplier with a set of screen print friendly substrates as I tend to be flying blind with these guys, they don't sell to screen printers much (at all?) and aren't super clear on the inks/process and how it will/won't work on the substrates. 

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 02:32:20 AM »
I buy from west coast. In my experience, they aren't terribly informed about screenprinting. I can't say that they will be the same where you are though, I hope it's different. When I first went in to get some samples, the sample room guy asked me why I wanted uncoated paper, implying that he thought coated would surely be what I was looking for. Aside from that, they have been pretty helpful and the sample room has been really helpful. I kind of doubt that you will have much looking for the specific things you mentioned. This is one of the suppliers that is roughly four times the price that I am getting at midwest for sticker stock. Maybe I should negotiate, but that's a long way for the price to fall.

A small complaint that I have is that I like to use the estore of my suppliers as much as possible, to at least look up the prices before I phone in an order. West coast's store is pretty sparse. The major things that I need are there, but the specialized papers are generally not represented on the estore.

Well, I can't recall if this is a thing or not, but I think they may even shut down the estore at night. I just went to check if they had the stuff that you were looking for and I can't connect. I tried in another browser and the spot where the login fields would be is blank.

Offline ol man

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 07:33:39 AM »
which ink system are you using?.. historically we use 9700( nazdar) . stinky but sticks to most every paper and card stock

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 11:45:34 AM »
Not answering your question but "close".......
http://www.polytag.com/

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 12:57:21 PM »
TW 5500 flat. 

Thx all, I'll have to do some leg work and also sweet talk my wcp rep.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 01:05:07 PM »
have you looked at speedball ink? they have some of the best poster/flatstock ink in the biz...but you have to set up a wholesale account direct with them.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 02:45:18 PM »
Not super into speedball compared to the TW 5500.  I think it's much better ink but it is a b. with screen dry in whereas I know the speedball is not too bad. 

Is there a different form of speedball they make for wholesalers v. the hobby stuff?