Author Topic: shipping - measuring boxes  (Read 3307 times)

Offline T Shirt Farmer

shipping - measuring boxes
« on: March 05, 2013, 08:05:33 PM »
Here is a little time saving app we just made for our shipping station. I printed 3 paper yardsticks and mounted them to the side and back of the table top with the third running up the back wall. Now you just have to place the box you are shipping into the corner of the table and you can easily see the 3 measurements.
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: shipping - measuring boxes
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 08:08:19 PM »
Great idea. I'll use that.  Thanks!
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 08:44:49 PM »
Same here.... Great idea!!
Brannon Mullins Spot Color Supply
www.spotcolorsupply.com     sales@spotcolorsupply.com.
We Sell Workhorse Products,Along With Used Equipment, and Printing Supplies!!

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 09:12:24 PM »
Great idea.....But do not forget to measure the bulge.....Those lasers UPS and Fedex do not seem to miss a beat if they can add weight for DIM.....

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 12:29:59 AM »
Awesome idea.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 10:35:07 AM »
Out of curiosity, is there a reason you guys measure the dimensions of UPS packages? I don't think we have measured a UPS/FedEx package in the last 8 years. We just put the weight and bypass the measurement section. We ship daily, now I am wondering if we should of been measuring all along! :o
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 10:40:07 AM »
Here is a little time saving app we just made for our shipping station. I printed 3 paper yardsticks and mounted them to the side and back of the table top with the third running up the back wall. Now you just have to place the box you are shipping into the corner of the table and you can easily see the 3 measurements.

Awesome idea. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 10:55:40 AM »
Out of curiosity, is there a reason you guys measure the dimensions of UPS packages? I don't think we have measured a UPS/FedEx package in the last 8 years. We just put the weight and bypass the measurement section. We ship daily, now I am wondering if we should of been measuring all along! :o

Have you ever audited your invoices?.....If so, do they match what you think you should be paying....

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 11:08:38 AM »

Have you ever audited your invoices?.....If so, do they match what you think you should be paying....

Ya, our invoices match up just fine with our quoted shipping prices aside from the fuel surcharge or whatever, but the actual shipping charges end up being the same.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 01:34:42 PM »

Unless I'm mistaken, the only time you need to measure is if you're approaching oversize packaging, which
any standard garment box (even the big AA ones) shouldn't be near. Dimensional weight they call it.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 01:43:53 PM »
Correct

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 02:31:49 PM »
UPS used to give out a chain thing that was marked at the right spots. You wrapped it around the top of the
box and if it didn't reach the floor you were oversize. They used to give out Zebra thermal printers too though.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 04:13:40 PM »
Correct

Probably because for most garments, actual weight is higher than dimensional weight....

But when I ship a case of solid foam koozies the actual weight is 7lbs and they charge me for 18 because of dimensional weight....