Author Topic: "questionable" customer supplied art  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
"questionable" customer supplied art
« on: March 08, 2013, 02:20:48 PM »
Yesterday, I think I got the worst design I've ever seen, it's almost hard to imagine someone creating it on purpose. We're going to print it of course. It's not offensive, just not so good. I showed it to each of us here, the art dept., screen guy, production manager, and the reaction was a universal "Wow" with head shaking. I'm almost wondering if, when we send the proof, they'll see it and say "Wow, that really sucks, huh?" Of course, I wouldn't insult the customer (I'm probably just having an ass moment) but "Wow..."

Steve

just ramblin, heading home soon, big storm all day, no fedex or UPS, or phone really
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: "questionable" customer supplied art
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 02:53:33 PM »
Navy print on lime green? We have "ooof"'s around here occasionally. We all seem to be on the same page aesthetically
speaking.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 03:08:34 PM »
I've broached the subject of poor quality art before with a little levity, "I'll print it, but I have a form for you to sign that states that you will not tell anyone that I did. Folks, when they ask where it was done may get the impression that I was also involved in the art."
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 03:14:39 PM »
I've got some awful art from custy's and ask did they want me to rework or just do it as they gave it to me, and color's I want even go there, as long as they pay and are happy who I'm I to judge.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 04:16:00 PM »
I have a customer right now that wants his 3D art file he paid to have on a tee.  It's good art, but it's a  popcorn box with a vertical movie sign on the front (like as if it's a building). It's all done in gray and black except for the greenish gray yellow popcorn on top...and a red lettering for the name on the sign. Pretty boring tee shirt. So he wants it SUPER LARGE on the back. He's going to sell them in the theatre.

I should him other designs I've done that work better on a tee.  Nope. He wants it as is.
It's a shame cuz it's an old theatre and you could do a lot with the affinity for it here in this small town.  Do a nice retro design with a name drop and it would sell a few at every show night.

Nope. Not interested. He was his box.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 08:14:20 PM »
we get these all the time from wholesale customers, we just make a few comments and collect the coin. It's situations like this that make me a little hesitant. All it takes is one of their buddies to say "hey, where did you get your shirts from?!" and they say so and so company...that terrible art represents your work - even if it's not technically your art....I don't like to put out stuff I'm not proud to say, Yeah I did that...
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 10:36:15 AM »
I would guess that they found the smallest jpeg of a hawk head they could find, vector traced it with the default settings, enlarged it, colored it and "Voila!"... I might just have to make one for myself.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 11:57:31 AM »
I have been in business for 35+ years and therefore I am probably doing it wrong.....If I do not think art is any good I tell the client...i think that is the right thing to do.....