Author Topic: 4800 problem, need some help  (Read 2934 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
4800 problem, need some help
« on: April 02, 2013, 11:31:19 AM »
OK, 4800 has been running fine, but suddenly, it was streaking, did  Power Cleaning, now nothing at all. Am I forgetting something here? Zoo? Pierre?

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: 4800 problem, need some help
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 12:42:48 PM »
can you put black in another head?

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 12:49:42 PM »
did you try to clean the pads where the heads sit? ours will puddle up and catch the heads sometimes. usually soak a paper towel in windex and dab it up. then take a dropper and drop a windex/warm water solution onto those pads. that usually resolves it.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 12:51:45 PM »
I guess I should have asked what "streaking" is.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 01:25:01 PM »
Streaking is long horizontal lines (the direction of the print head). Usually when a cart has run out this happens. The cart has plenty of ink in it. If I do a nozzle check, I get absolutely nothing from any head. I'm running Black in the normal (#1) slot, and cleaning solution in the other 7, doing the nozzle check on film. There is nothing, and I mean nothing coming out of any head. Homer sent me a PM to check the vacuum; any other ideas? And thanks everyone, what a great place...

Steve

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 02:37:16 PM »
Seems really odd that even the cleaning solution won't flow. I really doubt that stuff would clog.
The voltages involved to fire the nozzles are pretty low and precise. Any static electricity lately?

Oh, and just in case is there an "ink off" knob? (Picked up a 9000 that way, they had moved it,
someone turned the ink off correctly, but forgot to turn it back on)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 03:46:08 PM »
If there is an "ink off" knob or button, I can't find it. It really is that nothing is coming out of any nozzle at all, zero, nada, zip

Steve

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 04:29:27 PM »
If there is an "ink off" knob or button, I can't find it. It really is that nothing is coming out of any nozzle at all, zero, nada, zip

Steve

What about that free utility someone made for certain epson printers? What's it called scc utility maybe? I know it can do a lot more than what epson utilities do.
"No man is an island"

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 05:11:45 PM »
I'm starting lose my mind; I've done a lot of different things, and nothing works. Every other function is fine, it feeds, it cuts; it just won't pass ink... I really don't think it's a clog, how could cleaning fluid clog? It seems like something is telling it to not print. I'll have to keep searching, but thanks everyone.

Steve

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 06:19:59 PM »
The streaking is happening each time you try to print something or only once and now you are not getting anything?
I would as well try cleaning the wiper blade.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 07:11:42 PM »
I was getting nothing, but I've started to get a little something out of it. I have the head parked on a cloth with Simple Green and will let it sit overnight with the cover closed. We'll see... good thing I still have a couple of 1400's around... I'll update in the morning. Have a great night everyone, and go home for crying out loud.

Steve

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 07:13:16 PM »
Not quite five out west here Steve.

If they use the same pump system for the parking station check that the pump is operating. You
can disconnect the lines, inject some cleaning solution, re-connect, put some water on the pads
and manually turn the pump gear, watching for the water to get sucked down.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 11:07:19 PM »
Damn, just saw this. Feel free to call my cell anytime. 

I'd gamble on air in the lines. The 48xx series heads don't clog anywhere near as bad as older models and spotty nozzle check our banding is typically air, but the nozzle check showing nothing is weird...

run like 5 had cleanings from the internal dialogue not from the printer itself do it till you get a nozzle check that's clean but no more than four or five. don't exit the novel cleaning program why you're doing this they progressively clean harder as you go. This might purge out the air.

cleaning solution typically does not show up on a nozzle check shoot to get whatever head you have running black printing

You'll get this, banding is usually only one of two things provided the file is kosher.

Offline DCSP John

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 08:14:55 AM »
Our 4900 stopped printing yesterday.  We did all types of triage and trouble shooting, and finally called Epson.
Instead of doing a 'all heads clean', we were told to scroll to the 'paired cleanings', which takes ten minutes to complete, two colors at a time. (although we run all black)  We did it twice, and we were back up and running.  Do you have the option
for 'paired powerful cleaning'? As a back up measure, I went ahead and had a 1430 shipped out and ordered all black carts to go with it.   Good luck with your machine. Hope it works out for you.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 08:50:49 AM »
the only thing I can think of is to check the little green tab on the head and make sure it is pulled out (it says "UNLOCK" on it). I doubt it's the issue, but worth taking a look. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!