Poll

Do you still use Internet Explorer 6.00 ?

Yes - I am Still using IE 6.0
0 (0%)
No - I dont use 15 year old computers
6 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: July 05, 2011, 02:19:24 AM

Author Topic: Curious...how many are still using Internet Explorer 6.00 ??  (Read 3261 times)

Offline Prōdigium

• Something New Is Coming.....Prōdigium
I believe that most of the forum members here are at least somewhat computer savvy...so I am curious how many people still use what is known to be a very insecure browser, and has been outdated for well over 5 years.

I browse through my servers log files every day and have been working on developing an enhanced security filter for my network. Already I know that 75% of the log files I see that display the MSIE 6.0 browser are NOT real people, they are rogue bots probing my network and the majority of the rest are from 3rd world countries like Nigeria where Windows-98 and MSIE 6.00 are still considered "cutting edge"

So I am asking the forum members here to let me know..how many of you still use this antiquated web browser..and if so WHY. ???
I am giving serious consideration to either blocking the MSIE 6.0 browser, or at least redirecting them to a landing page that explains they must upgrade their browser to ensure a SECURE transaction.....does anyone think this is unreasonable to ensure that when purchasing products online that I REQUIRE my customers to have at very least a computer that is using a more current web browser and operating system?
Nothing is more difficult than the art of maneuvering for advantageous positions.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
Re: Curious...how many are still using Internet Explorer 6.00 ??
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 07:46:33 AM »
IE 6 is outdated, as you said. We do not offer support on IE6 and we tell our customers that the web site we do for them will not be compatible with IE6.
There is just too many issues with them, and my partner just do not want to mess with it.
And like you said, mostly a Third World Countries will use technology like that.

And, what is IE anyway?  :o  I think that Microsoft should ship a bottle of Tylenol with every computer because of IE. It will come handy with all the headaches.  ;D

Landing page would be a good idea.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 07:48:20 AM »
I don't know many people that still your Internet Explorer...period.  Most have switched to firefox or chrome.  I think I am switching to chrome here in the near future.

I don't think it's unreasonable, but it might cost you some business.

You should let them browse at least.

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 09:39:10 AM »
My wife works for a software company and it's crazy how many versions back they need to engineer their software for so they can accommodate as many users as possible.
Some people will only update under penalty of death!
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline Prōdigium

• Something New Is Coming.....Prōdigium
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 10:17:57 AM »
I don't know many people that still your Internet Explorer...period.  Most have switched to firefox or chrome.  I think I am switching to chrome here in the near future.

I don't think it's unreasonable, but it might cost you some business.

You should let them browse at least.

Actually I keep exceptionally detailed records of the computer type, and web browsers that browse my networks to ensure that the sites I host will offer the best compatibility. Sadly, Internet Explorer still accounts for more than half of my users, with most of them being IE 7.0 / 8.0 users followed by Firefox and then Macs browser Safari. However I am almost positive that should I begin to "filter" out IE6 users, those numbers will alter to reflect a more accurate scenario as I have mentioned.....I strongly believe that with the data I have filtered, MOST IE6 users are NOT actual people, but are rather fake bots and content scrapers operating under fake user agents and legacy systems.

That being said, the problem with allowing them to "browse" the site, versus either blocking them or redirecting them to a single landing page explaining that they cannot view the entire site is due to the fact that it is simply not feasible to allow them to browse the site. Its either a complete block, or redirect to a landing page....I also prefer the landing page as well, as it will then offer them an explanation (for real people to read) and effectively lock spammers, crackers and content scrapers to a single page rather then having my server toss out hundreds of  403's all day.

Note: I already block systems that use IE 4.0 /5.00 and any computer older than XP such as Win-98 as there is NO legitimate reason to serve up pages to these platforms and if ANYONE is still using them for online transactions of banking they are NUTS!!!

In the future I am also considering the use of my smart keys for net-30 account customers and vendors who access the systems. I currently use them for all my network systems to access the computers directly. You cant even start my computers without them... and to log into my CRM/Commerce system. This is a USB drive that uses a 32 caricature 128 bit encrypted 'use once' password. The system generates a new password every time its inserted into the device or used to log on. Even IF you know the username and new password, it will not work without the hardware key. This is called 2-form factor security and is about as secure as anything you can create. There is no way to get around this system..but if you lose the key, your locked out until a new key is made and registered to that account....also not sure how many customers would use such a system?...but it would prevent ANY unauthorized transactions and any fraud.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 10:20:16 AM by Calibrated »
Nothing is more difficult than the art of maneuvering for advantageous positions.

Offline squeezee

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 05:52:06 PM »
If you are still using IE6 you should stop referring to it as 'My Computer' immediately.
imagesetters for screenprinting  A Troll-free zone :-)

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 06:02:06 PM »
What is internet explorer?

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 06:19:49 PM »
What is internet explorer?

I love that one!

On any  of my machines first thing I do is delete all IE icons if you want to run that POS you better know the run command.
"No man is an island"

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 08:53:07 PM »
or get into it through windows update.

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 09:59:29 PM »
I started using home PC's with internet via line, terminal and Unix commands. Then AOL then Netscape. The internet is sooo easy now days.
If only the youngins' knew what it REALLY means to search the internet :)

Offline squeezee

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 02:44:40 PM »
Actually in the UK, it's government departments that still use IE6 because of the hassle to upgrade.  It is pants though.
imagesetters for screenprinting  A Troll-free zone :-)

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 04:20:44 PM »
I started using home PC's with internet via line, terminal and Unix commands. Then AOL then Netscape. The internet is sooo easy now days.

Haahaaa... you realize you're just a gnat's fart away from saying you invented the internet!
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 04:46:42 PM »
Haahaaa... you realize you're just a gnat's fart away from saying you invented the internet!

I didn't want to brag :)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 05:59:57 PM »

Hey Scott, I can't take any credit, but when my buddy Russ and I moved up from the San Fernando Valley to Berkeley in '69,  frequent visiting spot was his brother Jon's apartment just off of Telegraph Ave.
I had no idea just how important his work was, him being not only just another hippie in appearance, but one brave or foolish enough to walk the streets barefoot!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 12:12:25 AM »
Missed the voting, but my chad hung - IE 8.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers