Author Topic: a toon design for some Boise cats  (Read 1319 times)

Offline lemorris

a toon design for some Boise cats
« on: April 14, 2013, 03:16:54 PM »
I got a chance to do a toon thing recently too.  It was fun as well.

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
Re: a toon design for some Boise cats
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 03:52:57 PM »
Diggity! I know the cars are the stars, but the subtle background elements that "tie the room together" as The Dude would say are also important... nice job on the trees!
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline lemorris

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 05:01:04 PM »
Thanks man.

The trees aren't all me though.  I found some pieces then did some brush magic to tie them in.  I'm not against clip stuff as long as it works into the style.

Now...if you wanna teach me how to brush trees like you, I am all ears...(little ears), but ears nonetheless.

:)

Actually if you get a sec, look up Ann Morrison Park in Boise.  It's a stunning park.  I was blown away.  That fountain is a bfd and it's ground-level stance is just killer.

on the cars, I am still neck deep in trying to do this render crap.  I found a great tute and some really nice brushes out there and I really like them.  I think the dudes name is Ken Barthalomew.  He's got a great render over pencil technique.  Look him up too.

Thanks

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 06:26:00 PM »
Yes, I'll definitely check those out.

Clip is good, nothing wrong with that, I do it too. Lots of good trees silhouettes in vector out there that can be useful.

The only tute/WIP sort of thing I've ever done is still up on my blog... kind of a screenshot rundown of how I do trees when I want to draw them from scratch... or even add leaves to clip art:

http://www.seibelstudio.com/blog/?p=13#more-13

It's not great I know, I got more into detail about it on a post at the old XLNT site, but that's not around any more. (Kind of lets you know how old this is.) Lemme know if you have any questions...
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 07:19:36 PM »
Def like the whole design. Lemorris is def not just the bug car guy anymore. He's the and improved Lemorris!  I can't say tho that you weren't "good back 5 yrs ago. You were always good. We just see more of new techniques and new art "subject matter now. When someone sees your art, they know you can do bout anything. Well, they should anyways. Probably another artist knows this. Some customers can't see the obvious. Once you can draw and paint well, "you can draw and paint well". No matter the object.

I do like those paint over pencil tho. Another good artist that does this does a lot for The New Yorker.

http://www.peterdeseve.com/illgallery.php
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850