Author Topic: Harder than it looks  (Read 1469 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Harder than it looks
« on: April 30, 2013, 03:03:02 PM »
Ok a departure from all the WB stuff. Prints like these are often difficult . Trying to match a painting from a scan using a seps program is daunting  at best. And here very few primary and secondary colors, and an abundance of tertiaries. Many seps programs see CMY and sometimes K in everything, causing certain areas to give off the wrong hue while other areas are spot on. Here the program detects yellow in the sky. Not good. While we can go back and isolate the sky and adjust saturation there is no time. Luckily we isolated the sky and taped it out on press. Also the overall saturation in the yellow and cyan was too strong. Acommon bandaid is to base back the process colors with halftone base, in this case a 60/40 ink to base ratio. It is as close a replica as I have come, in this case we had the artist and actual painting here on sight. Classic bandaids but they work

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Harder than it looks
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 03:42:34 PM »
yup, I can remember basing back process inks to lighten them.  we rarely do CMYK anymore.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 03:54:28 PM »
cmyk is great when you got no real color pattern going on or spot color, that print was great for cmyk Tonypep...nice!  I would like to try the triple strength process colors, but I just have to much of the reg to just toss out.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 04:03:16 PM »
Thx BTW those are Union Triple strength

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 06:36:38 PM »
You get some of the same issues with sim pro but I have successfully avoided 4cp for some of these reasons. Your print was successful and artist/customer happy which is great but repeating that order...yeargh.  That's where sim pro is so much nicer, imho. 

That's nice that you had the artist on hand for approval, sometimes a press check is actually very beneficial in these situations so you aren't nervous about sending out a rejected order.  My brain starts to spin after staring at those color adjustments for too long and I'll second guess things, makes for a stressful print run.