Author Topic: Adding discharge to plastisol  (Read 1563 times)

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
Adding discharge to plastisol
« on: May 01, 2013, 08:25:26 PM »
Anyone do this with good results?

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Rob Coleman

Re: Adding discharge to plastisol
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 08:47:17 PM »
You cannot just use any old discharge blended with plastisol.  It is a special product.  Magna manufactures a product called Plascharge.  Union has a product called Plasticharge.  Both are designed to be mixed 50/50 with a plastisol to create a quasi-discharge plastisol.

The primary difference is that the Union product is ZFS activated.  The Magna product can be activated with non-formaldehyde activator OR traditional ZFS.

Alos important to understand that these two products will NOT hold pigment.  THey are designed to be used as a straight underbase or mixed with plastisol.
Rob Coleman | Vice President
Textile Business Unit | Nazdar SourceOne | sourceone.nazdar.com
(800) 677-4657 ext. 3708 | Cell (678) 230-4463
rcoleman@nazdar.com

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 06:24:43 AM »
You're talking about the hybrids.......Plasticharge or Plascharge. As Rob states. Three part system. I don't care for it. Colors are weak. If you're going DC might as well dive all the way in IMO

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
Adding discharge to plastisol
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 12:35:46 PM »
Yeah I was just thinking about messing around with it but what's the point really, just use the right stuff.

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Rob Coleman

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 10:43:56 PM »
In my view, the real reason to look at a "quasi" discharge system like this is if you do not have adequate means to fully evacuate a 100% aqueous discharge system.  It is a compromise certainly.
Rob Coleman | Vice President
Textile Business Unit | Nazdar SourceOne | sourceone.nazdar.com
(800) 677-4657 ext. 3708 | Cell (678) 230-4463
rcoleman@nazdar.com

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 12:09:15 AM »
Anyone do this with good results?

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Let me answer the question. Yes it can be done. DC and plastisol inks will mix. In fact they mix very easily. Its not like oil and water. The two will mix to a very smooth and work able "ink". That is why DC underbases work. The catch is it drys out fast and becomes putty like. You can print it. It does not clear the screen very well and the print looks like crap. After drying the print is more like a DC print then a plastisol print. Try it maybe with some reducer or using a soft hand base you could get it to work.

Now ask why did I do this? Well like everything else in the world, people will tell you not to do things. They will just guess at what will happen and say don't even waist your time. Many screen printers will tell you to follow the spec sheets use products only for what they are for. Why? Is it in fear that if you don't you will not be covered by the manufactures? I say try things. I find that about 50% of what people tell you (here and in the real world) is not true or not the full truth. Maybe they tried it and it didn't work. That does not mean it will not work for you. Trying new things is always a learning experience. The manufactures say not to use more then what 10% curable reducer? I have used 90 percent, hell one job I just printed with curable reducer. Trying new things will set you apart, it will make you learn something and get you more business. Don't be shut down by people saying not to try new things. Try them then do the testing to make sure its a system you can offer your customers. Maybe mixing DC and plastisol didn't work but it could have.  It could have been the best print you have ever done. It could still be used as a technique for a grunge print or for another type of print.  Just my two cents.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 12:17:41 AM by Jon »

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 10:29:08 AM »
Jon, I like your thinking, if we all stuck by the tried and true no new ideas or types of printing will ever happen.  I know I've done stuff and printed things the wrong way on purpose or sometimes by mistake but it turn out great in most cases.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 10:35:17 AM »
Bravo Jon!