Author Topic: You Only Live Once  (Read 914 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
You Only Live Once
« on: May 07, 2013, 07:43:31 AM »
Found a box of my old Resort line now defunct. These were so much fun. Non DC straight WB one color. Nothing in the line was over 3 colors

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: You Only Live Once
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 08:06:02 AM »
I like the look of that print and the photo. Good line.

Goes to show that just having a good line is not enough. SOO much more to this business.
I'm finding that out just taking print orders. Sooo much more to it than just being good at it.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: You Only Live Once
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 08:32:18 AM »
Thanks Dan. The problem was financing and marketing. My guy who made these garments was initially going to back and sell them. But hes a blanks guy. He would send blanks to St Thomas, I would decorate, amd he'd get half back for his trade shows. It was upper tier Resort. It got tremendous response. No one was doing what we were doing back then. But again hes showing them at apparel shows instead of Surf and Resort. No time and resources for catalogs and good reps are really really hard to find.
Flash forward to ATL where I found some new interested prospective partners. But you have to get Resort. Its a very specialty niche of buyers and you need to really study how it works. Floor space is at a a very high premium so they require low minimums (hence the limit of # of colors). Then it takes some saavy to know what styles and colors to bring in and how to offer the line. And Resort buyers love to customize and you need to know how to manage that. Keep in mind I'm designing the line and trying to run a factory so I'm pretty tapped out. Glued to the plant and can't sell. Not to mention I suck at it. So much more but I digress. Turns out the easy part was designing and executing a strong clothing line. Every thing else was hard for me.
Heres another one. One color transparent navy oversize. No tee plain shirts in the line.
All Eternal Apparel