Author Topic: Multi head VS single head  (Read 4838 times)

Offline tancehughes

• !!!
  • Always learning new things!
Multi head VS single head
« on: May 12, 2013, 08:38:43 PM »
SOOO glad I bought a four head instead of a single head for my first machine. Running a job of 34 jackets one at a time (don't have the other three heads tuned up yet) and this is painful. Luckily the person I hired to run this machine is already fairly knowledgable about it, but I can't imagine running any type of production on a single head. It's slow as molasses.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Multi head VS single head
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 08:56:44 PM »
I personally believe you are better off with 4 singles or even 2 doubles rather than a 4 head.  I would even bet that 3 singles are faster than a 4 head.

But at any rate, the more heads the better for production.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 09:14:44 PM »
I personally believe you are better off with 4 singles or even 2 doubles rather than a 4 head.  I would even bet that 3 singles are faster than a 4 head.

But at any rate, the more heads the better for production.

I used to agree with this, we recently had all of our machines gone through and we are really seeing benefits of the 4 head machines.  But I do feel its important to have more than one machine so you can do more than one order at once when they are not a production run. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 09:20:48 PM »
Between thread breaks(we don't have many) and loading and unloading machines, single heads are faster than joined heads.  There isn't a way around that.

Our 3/3 dual function is faster than a 6 head.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 10:16:10 PM »
Between thread breaks(we don't have many) and loading and unloading machines, single heads are faster than joined heads.  There isn't a way around that.

Loading files in 4 single heads, 4 traces, etc don't forget that time involved ;).  For production ill take the 4 heads. I have 1, 2, and 2 x 4 heads and that's just my opinion in our shop mix.

Offline tancehughes

• !!!
  • Always learning new things!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 11:53:13 PM »
I plan to get a single head next for some of the smaller things, but were focused more on production runs. Small personalizations etc aren't my focus now.

I realize there are pros and cons to both but for our business model I think the four head is gonna be good. I don't see a bunch of big embroidery shops running 100 single heads.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 01:15:39 AM »

Loading files in 4 single heads, 4 traces, etc don't forget that time involved ;).  For production ill take the 4 heads. I have 1, 2, and 2 x 4 heads and that's just my opinion in our shop mix.

Call me ignorant but why do you have to do 4 traces if you are running the same job on 4 singles?

Offline beanie357

• !!!
  • Patience begets quality
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 05:27:27 AM »
Each machine needs to be set up.
Like using 3 presses. Each needs to have screens registered even if all same screen sets.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 06:58:44 AM »
Like using 3 presses. Each needs to have screens registered even if all same screen sets.

Correct

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 09:38:42 AM »

Still not getting it.  Screen printing is not really apples to apples since you don't have to register each needle.

You trace to make sure the design fits or is going to go where you think it is gonna go.  If you have a 12 head machine how many times do you trace?  You can't see all 12 garments, if 1 is good then the rest are good.  Same thing with the 4 singles.  If your design fits on machine 1 then it will work on 2,3 and 4 as well.  Just load all the garments the same and if you are adjusting the placement in the machine adjust that placement the same "clicks" on each machine.

Again, I only have a single head Brother, so I could be very ignorant on the matter.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 09:50:47 AM »
For some reason the SWF's don't have a "go to hoop center" feature on them(at least ours doesn't), so it is wise to trace them to make sure you won't hit hte hoop.

Now, if you are running 12 shirts, not faster, 120 shirts, now you are talking.

Offline stitches4815

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 10:10:19 AM »
Good choice on your machine.  I don't understand how 4 single heads can save you any time.  You get a thread break on one while the other three are purring along, now that machine is out of synch with the others.  Next thing you know you have all 4 machines finishing at different times and you have no time to remove hoops and hoop the next item.  The time I use from pushing the start button until it finishes is when I un-hoop and hoop.  A lot less chaotic.  Just my opinion.  The only time I wish i had a single head machine is when I have someone wanting one thing embroidered.  Other than that I have no regrets about buying a 4 head machine.  It was worth every penny.  Good luck with your investment.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 10:16:15 AM »
them finishing out of sync is exactly what you want because it staggers your loading and unloading.

We have a 3/3 dual function, it's genius.  It's faster than a straight 6.  Also, I can run one side with one design and the other side with another if needed.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 10:34:30 AM »

Still not getting it.  Screen printing is not really apples to apples since you don't have to register each needle.

You trace to make sure the design fits or is going to go where you think it is gonna go.  If you have a 12 head machine how many times do you trace?  You can't see all 12 garments, if 1 is good then the rest are good.  Same thing with the 4 singles.  If your design fits on machine 1 then it will work on 2,3 and 4 as well.  Just load all the garments the same and if you are adjusting the placement in the machine adjust that placement the same "clicks" on each machine.

Again, I only have a single head Brother, so I could be very ignorant on the matter.

Smart move is to trace it always, at least on SWF's.  Which is the context in which I am commenting. 

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 10:50:41 AM »
People an embroidery machine uses a pantograph. The pantograph can easily be knocked out of place at anytime. On Barudan when you shut the machine down the origin is remembered to that current location, when you turn the machine back on that will be the current origin. Not all design origins work for the next some have odd shapes to the design so the center origin does not actually fall in the center of the round hoop.

It is absolutely necessary to trace every single design period. Not only can a design possibly hit a hoop if not lined up well there is always the possibility a design gets corrupted during transmission and things can get way way off.

Unless you enjoy replacing reciprocators trace your designs no matter what.

Gilligan having four seperate machines is not the same as having four connected machines since connected heads all share the same origin at all times. With four disconnected machines each could possibly have different set origins at any time.
"No man is an island"