Author Topic: Broken heat press.  (Read 3706 times)

Offline Get Shirts

Broken heat press.
« on: May 20, 2013, 01:38:07 PM »
Has this happened to anyone (see picture)?  Seems like a pretty crucial piece that is under a lot of stress, but I think I can fix it.

Advice?

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
Broken heat press.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 10:58:04 PM »
Drill fill tap and brace with steel? That's cast so its crazy to try to weld. I am interested in what your fix will be do tell.

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Broken heat press.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 12:16:40 AM »
Perhaps your pressure setting was a touch heavy.

Reminds me of the old standing floor lamp where the base was actually some kind of formed concrete.  Is that a porous man-made material for the base and pressure post?  I'd be interested in the brand, but only to avoid in the future.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Get Shirts

Broken heat press.
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 07:57:33 PM »
I would definitely say the operator had too much pressure.  It's a Stahls Hotronix.  I still cannot believe it broke like that.  Unless they make the part, I'm going to try and drill and brace with a steel plate.   I'll let you know how it works.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 12:13:18 AM »
Take it to a welder and get it welded back up. I welded up a buddies that did the same thing. It is still holding strong over a year later.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Admiral

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 01:58:46 AM »
our pneumatic stahls hotronix just broke for about the 6th time (2 years old we bought it new)

this time the thermostat was going and it turned out it burnt out a wire connection part

other times were wrong size heating element from the get go (couldn't hold the temp if used consecutively...), LCD screen went bonkers, keypad went out, one of the side switches went out, power switch broke, fuse was having issues...can't remember what else right now but it's been fun

btw we've spent over 10k on new heatpresses too, might drop 4k on a different brand next

Offline Ryan

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 07:53:33 AM »
Mine did the same thing. Hotronix Fusion. It happened during the warranty period so I sent it back. They fixed it. That being said, I was running it at max pressure, but the press should be able to do max pressure or they need to find a way to prevent it. I had to send mine back 3 times in the first year for problems. I would like to think there is comparable heat presses out there, but I've yet to find one that I like. I do have 25+ year old HIX that's the Jam if the thermostat would stop blowing (swing away clamshell). I think I would go with the welding option.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 12:07:23 PM »
My oldest HIX press has to be over 35 years old and still going strong....My primary press is a Geo Knight but I also run a 2 year old HIX as well.....

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 12:11:54 PM »
our old one did that exact same thing.  i got there new auto clamshell and the stand and never looked back at that hunk o'junk!
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 08:08:25 PM »
If it can`t be fixed replace it with this beauty ;)
Textile heat transfer carousel

Offline Admiral

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 10:45:37 AM »
Anyone have suggestions for a 20x22" or 20x25" heat press for pretreat heat pressing?

Main concern is durability and able to maintain heat.  The 20x22 hotronix xr22 we have didn't originally maintain heat, we upgraded it to 220v, then it still didn't maintain heat and they sent a new heat coil which was a bit larger and now it maintains heat.

Does the Geo Knight 20x25" pneumatic heat press maintain heat with constantly pretreating non stop? I know I read about their heat coils being superior but doesn't mean it will retain heat with pressing wet pretreat over and over.