Author Topic: Input on used retensionables  (Read 12451 times)

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Input on used retensionables
« on: June 14, 2013, 12:07:09 PM »
Even though we have a boatload of statics and they work nicely for the majority of our work, I have come upon a "deal" on some used Neuman M3's. They are 25x33's which I know is a bit of a oddball size, I would like 26x36's but doesn't seem to be in the cards this time.
I was hoping to get some input from you guys on if I should get these oddball sizes, and what may be a good price ea. on them?
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Input on used retensionables
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 12:22:02 PM »
Newman's, used or new, are the bee's knees. Doesn't matter how you get them, just do.
(Excepting the Speedball kit I got for my 13th birthday, and some wood frames my pops
and I stretched with that windows spline stuff, I've never used a static)

Frame size is a whole 'nother ball of wax though. 25x33 is for max print size on the Gauntlet 2's I think.
I used to have 3 different size Newman's running in my shop. NEVER AGAIN. Pick a size
(usually your max) and stick with it. Multiple sizes is hell on frame racks and moving holders on press etc.

Now to hijack your thread. Does anyone like the Newman mesh protectors? I just picked up 150
Newman's and a box of the mesh protectors came with. I'm not particularly fond of them and may
give them away for the price of shipping, unless someone convinces me on their greatness.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 01:29:24 PM »
You think that's an odd size, try 25x30.  Happens to be the max on a GT-6, go figure.  Just put in a request to buy more from stretch. 

We use the Pin Lock so, as long as everything is the same width, we're cool but like eb I prefer one frame type/size.  We have enough variables to deal with.

Watch out buying used for the channe-l it needs to be perfect.  Dirty is ok but dinged is not.  Regarding the rest of these tank like frames, you can clean and refurb M3s (excepting the plastic cornered ones, avoid those, they crack and swell) until the apocalypse but if the channel is wrecked up they are scrap metal.

I've found that unless the used frames are legitimately "like new" it's not worth the hours of cleaning for the $ "saved ".

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 01:35:35 PM »
What do you think I should be spending on these bad boys?
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 01:45:53 PM »
This is my battle, most of our work is 23x31's, however some jobs 25x36's.  I struggle with just maybe doing 25x36's only when I go all in on Newmans. 

But I wont do used.  I dont want someone else's problems, no matter the discount. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 01:58:27 PM »
  I dont want someone else's problems, no matter the discount.

That is exactly what I told my father-in-law before I married his daughter.... ;D

Seriously now, I do really want the 25x36's but if I can get a REAL good deal on these I may be cool with using them in the meantime.
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 02:09:31 PM »
FWIW, I've never paid more than twenty bucks for M3's when they're used, but I'm never in a hurry.

If you're handy with stuff used in decent shape will be fine IMHO, but make sure they have good lock strips and as mentioned--no dings in the rollers or channels.   If the bolts squeak, (and are silver,) you probably have to clean them and anti-seize them again.

As far as size goes, I've got 23x31, 23x33, 33x33, and 24x33.  It's a pain.  Don't be like me.    ;D

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 02:11:51 PM »
I got 24 used ones last year for my manual.
I guess I got lucky. Paid around $21 each and they were almost as new. No issues. It took me around 2-3 hours to clean them.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 02:22:50 PM »
Sometimes new doesn't work out either though. IE Pocono. In fact many times "used" means you know
it works.

If you ding a channel, flip the whole frame around and stretch from the other side. Only one side has enough
tension on it to pop a screen from a burr.

There's a reputable broker near me that has 30 - 23x31's for $25 each.

I'm lucky in that the dude that sold me my presses has (or had, now) 300+ 25x36 with the MHM pins
already on. I swear he used them once then stored them.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 02:23:18 PM »
Brandt just cause you buy new don't mean you won't have problems, buying anything unseen is a problem new or used, I bought new stuff and then open the box and bang it's already broken right in the box.  I got 4 reten frames and they as tight today as the day I got them, only knock on those are they can get odd size when you set them up with mesh unless your careful.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Admiral

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 02:25:20 PM »
We're in the market for M3 23x31's right now.  I want to buy very good condition used and am willing to pay for that condition but it just doesn't seem to exist.

Might just have to do 12 new ones.

Last set of used ones close to half had messed up channels we had to sand and a few bent bars even...got 2 free frames to replace most of the crap but still it wasn't really worth it imo.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 03:04:58 PM »
This is my battle, most of our work is 23x31's, however some jobs 25x36's.  I struggle with just maybe doing 25x36's only when I go all in on Newmans. 

But I wont do used.  I dont want someone else's problems, no matter the discount.

We need the 25x36 for anything over 17", have 25 of them, rest are 23x31. I see no issue with having a few diffrent sized frames personally. IMO it makes no sense to have just big ones especially when you have a 3"x3" left chest to burn on each end there a lot of unused real estate there.

I understand the cleaning argument but at a third of the cost for used to me it makes no sense to buy new. Maybe I'm just cheap. Like eb said just flip the rollers an they are fine or just pry the channel back out. Knicks and burrs can easliy be cleaned up with a file and emory cloth.

When ever I see a good deal on some frames I grab them. Never got burned but all need some tlc.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 03:13:47 PM »
What do you do about drying racks when you have multiple frame sizes?

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 03:35:01 PM »
3 racks for 23x31, one for the 25x36 (huge rack holds 40 screens) which also holds what's left of our 20x24 and a half assed rack on top of the 23x31 racks to hold 4 36x36. As soon as the 23x31 are coated and dry they get leaned up against the wall close to the exposure unit to clear up the racks.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 03:55:44 PM »
I am a big fan of standardization. That means frames, too. I have 600+ 23x31 M3 frames. The one and only size and profile. Also makes my pre registration work better. No questions ever asked.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA