Author Topic: "Real" email on iphone  (Read 3678 times)

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
"Real" email on iphone
« on: June 16, 2013, 07:05:15 PM »
Okay, your fearless Frog just bit the bullet and entered the world of smart-ass phones.
Now, for email, I want to link my client based Thunderbird email.

The web based stuff is easy. This apparently will require a third party app and a little more fiddling.

So, any of you wired (or wireless in this case) TSB'rs have this going on and can recommend an app and help spell out the steps?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:03:02 AM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: "Real" email on iphone
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 12:34:42 PM »
you should not need an app, it should be built into the phone. That's part of what makes it smart.
You just might have to read the manual on this one!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 12:38:25 PM »
The stock email program is probably the best.

As for "linked" with your work computer email, you will have to use the IMAP protocol
on both programs. (so that email sent from your phone will appear in your computers sent
folder, etc.)

Where's frog junior? Lord knows my folks make me set these sorts of things up for them!

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 01:00:08 PM »
Frog junior is actually scheduled to visit next weekend, but alas, this one is past his pay grade (as it was the Verizon folks and the "genius" at the Apple store).

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 01:29:34 PM »
is it an iphone? I can try to walk you through it . . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 01:37:12 PM »
The stock email program is probably the best.

As for "linked" with your work computer email, you will have to use the IMAP protocol
on both programs. (so that email sent from your phone will appear in your computers sent
folder, etc.)

Where's frog junior? Lord knows my folks make me set these sorts of things up for them!

yep.  Make sure your thunderbird client is set up as IMAP not POP and then set up your email the same way with the stock iphone mail client. Then test to make sure you can still see all emails coming in to the phone/computer.  There are some settings in thunderbird that you may have to check so you don't pull the email off the server, you just want a copy.

In my past experience before I switched ALL the way over to gmail, I'd read my messages while at my computer but they'd still show as unread on my phone, which was really annoying.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 01:45:47 PM »
When you do it if possible be connected to your Wi fi and not your cellular connection. If you have a large amount of stuff in your email it will take a while to sync it to your iphone initially.
"No man is an island"

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 05:39:15 PM »
Thanks all.
Pierre, I may take advantage of your offer. First off, I have to look at my Thunderbird installation and set-up and figure how to make sure that it's IMAP.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 06:11:19 PM »
Thanks all.
Pierre, I may take advantage of your offer. First off, I have to look at my Thunderbird installation and set-up and figure how to make sure that it's IMAP.

tools
account setting
server settings-if it says something with IMAP in the server address, it is set for it. If it says POP, create a new account (at the botom of the same window it will have a button for account options). create a new account and select IMAP. copy everything else to make it match the current account.
get all the settings for your email setup (server names and ports) and then give me a call. I'll try to walk you through it.

pierre

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 06:27:09 PM »
Ahhh crap. I just remembered something that came up on my pops phone Andy.

Astound doesn't let you use their outgoing mail server unless it's from the computer(s) that
are connected to the cable internet.

There are free outgoing mail servers, pretty sure Gmail has one. Makes things a bit more
complicated though...

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 06:54:19 PM »
Ahhh crap. I just remembered something that came up on my pops phone Andy.

Astound doesn't let you use their outgoing mail server unless it's from the computer(s) that
are connected to the cable internet.

There are free outgoing mail servers, pretty sure Gmail has one. Makes things a bit more
complicated though...

My problem is that the only email that I'm interested in getting on this phone are my work related ones that do come through Astound with Thunderbird as my client.
Of course, I will probably need to answer some.

Are you saying that I'm screwed with Astound and now merely have an expensive compass and weather report?
Hell, I already had a device that allowed me to make and answer phone calls!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 07:07:04 PM »
he is saying that you will need another email account to use it's servers for outgoing mail. You'll be ablet to send and receive, but outgoing will have to go through somebody else. We can create a TSB email account you could use.

pierre

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 07:39:50 PM »
Okay, I now hear from Astound, that
1. It's strictly POP, no IMAP possible
2. Yes, I do need another server for outgoing.but
3. It will still display as my usual address.(that one worried me)

I am encouraged, between Pierre and the techs at Astound, this will work.

Unless, using the Thunderbird client is what complicates it. Then again, it appears that with POP, devices are never completely "synched" anyway, so perhaps it's the email service rather than the client that should be the main focus.

(It's all a little too much for me to fully comprehend at first)

EB, they did say that a few years back, they had issues but with the surge in smart phone use, they had to change things to make 'em work.
Still, when off of their network, it does require another server for outgoing.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 08:13:20 PM by Frog »

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 08:01:06 PM »
..we have our email from our web domain automatically forwarded to a hotmail account that I set up when I first started out. Then I simply downloaded the Hotmail app (now called Outlook) to my Android phone, and set it up to receive email from that account.

..a lame workaround? Maybe. Okay, okay...probably. But a practical one?....ask this guy-->  ;D
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!