Author Topic: Another cool effect  (Read 2723 times)

Offline 59Graphix

• Verified/Junior
Another cool effect
« on: June 18, 2013, 06:52:33 PM »
All you PS gurus should have a trick for this. Is there a way to do this in PS without a filter? This is from Andromeda filters for PS. The Cutline filter to be exact.

And if anyone knows, is there a way to do this in Coreldraw too?

Thanks!
59 Graphix "Est. 1989" • Screen Printing • Embroidery • T-Shirt Design • Fashion Brand Start-Ups
•••59 Authentic™

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Another cool effect
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 06:54:33 PM »
you should be able to select "line" for the halftone effect (instead of dot) and get something like it. Not sure where and how exactly, but a little bit of digging should get you there.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 07:45:40 PM »
Almost looks like it's two line halftones put together on top of a greyscale--like a seventy degree and hundred and sixty degree line tone on top of the original, but with the original (darkened?) bitmap in the back...

Cool effect for sure.

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 07:58:20 PM »
...you can do this when you output to film. In your print window, goto SEPARATIONS-ADVANCED-HALFTONE TYPE...there are all sorts of neat options in there.

I, too, would like to know how to create the effect pre-film though. Maybe something in PhotoPaint?
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline 59Graphix

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 08:37:45 PM »
Yea, I'm going to play with Corel a bit and see if I can duplicate this.  I would like to make a macro for Corel to get a look like this. If I can make it as lines then I could probably make it as all different shapes too!
I have been creating all kinds of new brushes for Corel and will probably make them for Illy too!
59 Graphix "Est. 1989" • Screen Printing • Embroidery • T-Shirt Design • Fashion Brand Start-Ups
•••59 Authentic™

Offline 59Graphix

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 08:49:34 PM »
Ok, played with Corel and got this. Crude but on the right track!
•••59 Authentic™

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 10:41:11 PM »
Like Pierre and Foo jointly said, I would bitmap out a copy to line screen at various angles, back to greyscale at 1:1, layer up the channels and go from there.  Line screen is an oft forgotten option that can generate a tight look with the right art.

Offline myseps

• Master Color Separator
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 11:25:48 PM »
Yes you can do this in photoshop using the bitmap/ halftone screen feature (see attachment)
myseps.com color separations by Scott D.   Follow me on facebook

Offline 59Graphix

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 01:44:14 AM »
In Corel I created individual vector shapes, added a gradient, then converted each vector shape to monochrome and gave them different angles to make them cross over each other to get the hatch effect. I remembered this after messing with it. Use to do halftones lines to get some creative looks before all the brushes, filters and plugins!
I know PS will do this too but I always output from Corel and I can work with the halftone style after I create it. PS will probably do this too.
Any other cool or trendy effects anyone is printing lately?

Thanks for all the input!
•••59 Authentic™

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 08:41:37 AM »
As already shown, it's very easy in PS... if you want finer lines, use a higher line count; experiment some, it's really very quick.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 10:32:03 AM »
SP mag June/July issue pg 16

Offline 59Graphix

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 10:39:05 AM »
Thanks Steve, I'm going to try PS next and Thanks Tony, I will check out the article later too!
•••59 Authentic™