Author Topic: Pay Scale  (Read 5344 times)

Offline tancehughes

• !!!
  • Always learning new things!
Pay Scale
« on: June 21, 2013, 10:29:51 AM »
I know this is different in different parts of the country (I'm in Louisiana), but what is everyone paying a good embroidery machine operator? I am trying gauge where I should be. I have a 4 head tajima.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
Re: Pay Scale
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 10:50:26 AM »
I know this is different in different parts of the country (I'm in Louisiana), but what is everyone paying a good embroidery machine operator? I am trying gauge where I should be. I have a 4 head tajima.

I think it comes down to ability. My wife is very picky about our EMB, so she would rather hire someone totally green, and train them in, "her" way of doing things, and gradually bring them up, maybe say $9 an hour to train, if they start really catching on, then give them incentive with a fast raise to 10, then play it from there. Her main girl who rocks it out is getting 12 right now and we would actually consider paying her more, but not sure if she will be staying on after she gets her nurses degree. It's hard in the job market even in hospital work, but if we could hold on to her, she is worth an easy $15 an hour maybe more or benefits in the future if she planned to stay on. I've heard of a $25 an hour emb lead at a shop here in Fl, but honestly, knowing the company and the fact that, that particular employee really doesn't produce anything anymore, I can't see paying someone to sit and watch and snack all day. $25 an hour lead would have to be taking over that department and treating it like their own, in my opinion. One thing I do know, not everyone who says, "I have embroidery experience", really knows the technique in and out. Most of the time they may have worked at a load and push start, fix thread breaks shops. I feel they need to really know the machine in and out, tensions, maintenance ect to be worth more than 12 an hour, and be able to produce quality and constancy. IMO
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 11:07:51 AM »
I pay around $13 for a good machine op.  They lady down the street pays $9.  I am sure there is someone around that pays more than me.

I will work the $13 guy up to $15-16, maybe more.  He's worth it.  He's good, he still needs to learn a little on backings and taking his time to make sure the tensions are correct and so on.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 11:40:10 AM »
Man I would hate to say what we pay our embroidery operator, not $25 but pretty high compared to what has been said so far.
"No man is an island"

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 11:51:16 AM »
a big thing is the area you live in as well.  The cost of living here is much lower than CT I would guess.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 12:07:59 PM »
when we had embroidery in house, the girl doing the work was making $18/hour. She was fully self sustained and did not need any help or guidance. Regular employee $10-$15 depending on the skill.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 12:11:41 PM »
$14 a hour, but she doesn't do any digitizing, if she learns that I would give her a bump. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 12:19:56 PM »
a big thing is the area you live in as well.  The cost of living here is much lower than CT I would guess.

No doubt we are either #1 or close to it for cost of living. It is all relative, living in PA i was shocked at my pay scale being so low but realized quickly I could buy an acre of land for as little as $100 crazy.

"No man is an island"

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 12:24:43 PM »
It's funny because our groceries are high on the scale last time I checked, but housing and gas were pretty low.  I don't know what it is currently.

You can buy a 3 bedroom 2 bath, 1,000sf home for around $120,000 here(if it doesn't get snatched up by an investor).

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 12:32:04 PM »
My little apartment is $1250 a month not counting utilities water/electric

My town is a bit high because of Choate Rosemary Hall but really anywhere in this state renting or buying is high. The same house you just quoted would be minimum$250K here and maybe $200 in seedier towns.

We also pay the highest or near so in state gas/tobacco/liquor taxes.
"No man is an island"

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 12:33:39 PM »

No doubt we are either #1 or close to it for cost of living. It is all relative, living in PA i was shocked at my pay scale being so low but realized quickly I could buy an acre of land for as little as $100 crazy.

I used to call this the 'box boy' factor but grocery stores no longer use box boys for grocery carryout.  So now I guess it would be the entry level/fast food base line.

When traveling around the county I consistently find that decorated apparel shops have to be $2-3 bucks per hour higher than entry level fast food workers.  So if Mcd's is paying Fed MinWage of $7.25 you probably will be at $9-10 to find someone worth keeping.

If Taco Bell is paying $11 you will be at $14.  Remarkable how repeatable this factor is.

~Kitson
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 01:02:43 PM »
It's funny because our groceries are high on the scale last time I checked, but housing and gas were pretty low.  I don't know what it is currently.

You can buy a 3 bedroom 2 bath, 1,000sf home for around $120,000 here(if it doesn't get snatched up by an investor).

That's funny, here is a listing from my town, quick search of the lowest price single family dwelling, 1400 sq ft house on a 5500 sq ft lot $760,000... any thing decent in a nice neighbor hood will be well over a million $

Welcome to Northern California, and having Google and Facebook headquarters in your area.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/803-Wake-Forest-Dr_Mountain-View_CA_94043_M13699-34768?row=12
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 01:09:26 PM »
Yeah, I can go buy a new construction all stone/brick home that's around 5,000 sf for $400k..that's hardwood floors, granite in the kitchen, a bathroom bigger than my garage.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 01:18:26 PM »
$400K is a one bedroom shoebox in San Francisco. Maybe.

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 01:48:47 PM »
man, i don't think I can afford the AC bill in a 400K house here in the summer...it's a lotta space to cool.