Author Topic: Dip Tank  (Read 11944 times)

Offline thinkdesign

• Verified/Junior
Dip Tank
« on: July 07, 2011, 11:40:29 PM »
For those of you that utilize a dip tank for emulsion removal. How often do you have to change chemicals and how do you dispose of the old chemicals? Any comments appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Joel

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Dip Tank
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 06:32:56 AM »
about once every 6 months to 9 months.  You can get some neutralizer from either easiway or franmar and dump it down the drain.  The sludge at the bottom should be cured in the oven before disposal.  It's usually a sheet of old emulsion and ink.

Offline SkylinePrints

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 08:01:36 AM »
about once every 6 months to 9 months.  You can get some neutralizer from either easiway or franmar and dump it down the drain.  The sludge at the bottom should be cured in the oven before disposal.  It's usually a sheet of old emulsion and ink.

yep
Have a great day! :)
 Nathan Harrison Skyline Prints Embroidery & Screen Printing 4982 Bill Gardner Pkwy  Locust Grove, GA 30248  (770) 914-1558  www.SkylinePrints.com  Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/skylineprints or Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/skylineprints

Offline shellyky

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 08:20:26 AM »
I think i went almost a year on my last one--youll know, when it starts to be a pain to remove with just the pressure washer and you end up scrubbing.    I let the water filter thru an old screen to get the little stuff before it goes down the drain also.

Offline Northland

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 08:21:54 AM »
I log the number of screens that go thru my tank.... and usually need to replace the solution at about 250 screens.
Since I never put an inked screen into my tank...  the old solution is drain safe.
I have a small tank (13 gallons), the drain is a couple inches above the bottom.
I drain the tank down to the drain level. Then, I pour the heavier liquid into a bucket and let the water evaporate so the solids can be put in the trash. Most of the time the solids would fit into a tall coffee cup.

My fresh solution is 1.5 gallons of Easiway 500 and about 11.5 gallons of water.
I estimate the cost at about $.25/screen.
http://www.easiway.com/products/easisolv-500-stencil-remover-concentrate-mixed-125

« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 11:03:28 AM by Northland »

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 08:41:58 AM »
We've only been using ours for maybe 4-6 months or so but it's still going strong.  We have the big, white polypropylene Blackline tank.

Franmar One Step but we remove ink before putting the screens in to strip the emulsion.  I don't know why everyone else can use this stuff to remove both ink and emulsion but we sure as hell can't get away with that.  Could be the phthalate-free thing.

I think the main thing is to pull the screens before the emulsion sloughs off and disperses in the tank.   That and something to hang the screens up over the tank to drip back in- or use a squeegee to conserve solution.  The more times you have to top it off with water, the weaker it gets. 

Offline Clark

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 10:37:14 AM »
Well....I just replaced mine after two days of putting it in.  Over the 4th I got a leak and walked into see my floor covered with 75 gallons of blue crap.  Great way to start the week!

But normally we get 3 months out of the stuff we use.

Offline garagewear

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 09:55:58 PM »
I just top off my tank with more Easiway Supra every other month. Haven't changed it yet. Almost two years but I am only part time.

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 03:54:23 AM »
We've only been using ours for maybe 4-6 months or so but it's still going strong.  We have the big, white polypropylene Blackline tank.

Franmar One Step but we remove ink before putting the screens in to strip the emulsion.  I don't know why everyone else can use this stuff to remove both ink and emulsion but we sure as hell can't get away with that.  Could be the phthalate-free thing.

I think the main thing is to pull the screens before the emulsion sloughs off and disperses in the tank.   That and something to hang the screens up over the tank to drip back in- or use a squeegee to conserve solution.  The more times you have to top it off with water, the weaker it gets.

How are you hanging the screens over the tank?
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 03:39:48 PM »
 I still haven't rigged up the hanging system yet, just using a squeegee for now. I think some rubber coated bike hooks will do the trick, just hook the corner of the roller frame.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 04:18:45 PM »
I have had my easiway tank for about 8 months and I think its time to change. I wish I would have got the one with the drain attached.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 04:28:21 PM »
Can you not easily add a tap a few inches above the bottom? Similar to what we add on buckets as beer brew tanks.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 04:34:31 PM »
I am pretty sure you can add a tap. I will have to try that when I drain this thing.
The one thing I dont like about a dip tank is that it warps the wooden frames but I guess thats to be expected.

Offline thinkdesign

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 12:28:46 AM »
What a coincidence, I will be driving very close to Easiway on our anniversary trip in September. Hope I have room for a tank and a few gallons of chemicals. I'm sure the wife won't mind the stop.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 12:54:27 AM »
I am pretty sure you can add a tap. I will have to try that when I drain this thing.
The one thing I dont like about a dip tank is that it warps the wooden frames but I guess thats to be expected.

I have two tanks with taps and they don't really help much. They are to low to add a bucket or anything under it.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!