Author Topic: Printing Seps Photoshop vs AI  (Read 2464 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Printing Seps Photoshop vs AI
« on: July 08, 2013, 12:33:49 PM »
Which program do you think prints the best seps or which program do you prefer to print seps from.  I ask this becuz I notice when I print seps from photoshop I get halftones of the solid colors say like yellows than I would AI...Pros and Cons anyone
Lets allso toss in which Rip software have you found to work the best Accurip, Filmmaker etc..I been using an old version from cadlink and thinking hard to an upgrade.

Darryl
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 01:05:18 PM by 3Deep »
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
Re: Printing Seps Photoshop vs AI
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 12:57:01 PM »
I print everything out of Illustrator nowadays. If it's simulated process or process color, after separating it in Photoshop, I split the channels, save them, then place them in a template in illustrator that has all my marks, duplicating the first artboard, then replacing the original with the next color to maintain registration, repeating this until all the seps are placed.
Not sure if this has a bearing on what you're describing, but it's what I do with everything out of Photoshop. Solid spot colors in Illustrator are just manually separated on their own artboards by duplicating the entire file and deleting colors per that sep.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 03:45:33 PM »
After sepping in Photoshop. where each color is a separate channel, I save as a DCS file (which is .eps) then place in Illustrator and print from there. That's for simulated or actual process colors. When it's a simple spot color vector graphic, I open and print from Illy. The reason you're getting a halftone from yellow in PS, is that if you convert to grayscale, you'll get a light gray, and that's what's happening. If you want a solid yellow, it's channel has to be 100% black (to look at individually, with the other channels shut off), which would be assigned the color yellow to print out correctly from Illy. Confused yet? It's actually easier than it sounds; I say that because I can do it...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline tterrell

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 04:35:54 PM »
I use a Photoshop/Illustrator combo as well. We start by running the simprocess file through VueRite and then do a bunch of manual tweaks in Photoshop. That gets saved out as a DCS2 eps file that fits nicely into our Illustrator print template.

To echo Sbrem, if you aren't getting solids where you think you should check the K value on your channels.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 05:32:41 PM »
I was looking at the seps I got from Blue moon and my old seps with all the banding going on and his yellow plate was nice and black with halftones where my sep was halftoned all the way, I still think I might try a new Rip though and thanks, I 'll check my K value, never thought about that.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline RisingSunGraphics

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 11:40:36 PM »
I was looking at the seps I got from Blue moon and my old seps with all the banding going on and his yellow plate was nice and black with halftones where my sep was halftoned all the way, I still think I might try a new Rip though and thanks, I 'll check my K value, never thought about that.

Darryl

Darryl,

If you'd got some time to check out some vids on the subject, I have some posted at my site that explain a little bit of the separation process in Photoshop, how to save as a DCS and plug into Illustrator and a few others.  It's all pretty much the basic stuff right now as I'm building up to the more difficult full color tutorials but it might help you out.
http://risingsungraphics.com/tutorials