Author Topic: Puff Embroidery  (Read 1189 times)

Offline ScreenPrinter123

Puff Embroidery
« on: July 15, 2013, 11:08:25 AM »
We run a six head Tajima and mostly do left chest uniform work but we have a customer wanting some puff caps.  I was hoping someone could give me a quick run down of what I need to know to make the transition to puff having never done it.  Also what info would I need to give our digitizer so that he can create the best file.  Thanks!

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
Re: Puff Embroidery
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 11:28:31 AM »
You better outsource digitizing to someone who knows how to do it.
Digitizer needs to know how to cap the ends, what the density settings need to be, and so on.

If you have in-house digitizer, let him/her watch the machine sewing the design and that he can get the idea of what he needs to do.

Also, you will need some 3D foam from Madeira or whoever you use. It comes in 2mm and 3mm thicknesses.

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 11:59:00 AM »
We do outsource the digitizing and he can do puff I just was not sure what info we needed to provide to him on top of what we would normally.  I imagine the thickness of the puff but wasn't sure if there was anything else.

As far as the production goes does the puff stick to the hat while the underlay is being sewed?  And after it sews are you simply pulling away the excess puff?  Anything else I should be aware of?

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 12:04:04 PM »
Dennis hit it right on the head. Right now 60% of what we do is puff. This is where it is really important to make sure it is digitized right. If your digitizer has not done it before then use one that has. If you dont you will just pull your hair out trying to work off of someones mistakes. Use sharp needles. We use 75/11 and 80/12. 80/12 cuts the foam a little better but if it is detailed we just use 75/11. Slow the machine down if you are using regular needles. Punching through the foam at speed builds heat which causes more thread breaks. Actually thread melts technically. Coated needles do make a difference here and let you run it faster so you might want to try those.

Clean up takes time so get a heat gun. Most of it pulls away and can be tucked in but for the final we hit it with heat to tighten it all up.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 12:41:37 PM »
Make sure you program the stops between the colors when you need to ad the puff.
Also, you just need to place the puff in place and maybe use small tape pieces to keep the foam in place. Make sure you do not put the tape in the stitch area.

On a single head is is a lot easier because you can use your hand to keep the foam in place until the thread catches, on a multi head, well you are short a few hands for that :)

Here one of my videos on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7RF4Vgq9qs

Also, make sure there is enough density in the thread so the puff will be covered and the needle would cut the foam.
I use 75/11 needles

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 01:18:47 PM »
Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you!