Author Topic: Discharge Pigment Load Question  (Read 873 times)

Offline ScreenPrinter123

Discharge Pigment Load Question
« on: July 25, 2013, 11:05:14 PM »
Two questions:

(1) Using cci pigs/base - they recommend 10%  and we've gone up to the 20% mark before.  I nailed a Pantone for a huge job today but at c. 6% pigment load (if d-white doesn't count towards the pigment load - see question #2). Does this just create more washout possible happening by using a less than desirable pig load?  What are the negative effects of being lower than the recommended pig load?

(2) So we learned our lesson quickly to stay away from the mixing white as have some of you. In its place today I put d-white to avoid those white spots on press.  So my question is: Does d-white count toward your pigment load when using it in place of the mixing white?  I'm guessing not but I'd rather ask the pros for an explicit answer.

Gracias.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Discharge Pigment Load Question
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 02:33:27 PM »
No, D-White does not count towards your pigment load. It is a balanced ink, meaning you can print and cure it by itself just fine.
I would image that it is at full pigment load on it's own though, so obviously won't count towards taking on more pigment itself.
We do quite a bit of mixes with the discharge white, but only if it will be printed alone or last in sequence.

The white spots are dried pigments. One of the tradeoffs for the beauty that is wb inks. Filtering through mesh (we use
hop bags from the homebrew supplier) will alleviate this. And good ink hygiene will help as well. Certain pigments are worse
than others.

I'm looking at a blade type homogenizer that spins at 45,000 rpms (most drills are ~1000 rpm max) but no one can
tell me if it will help with re-wetting dried particles.

Offline ol man

Re: Discharge Pigment Load Question
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 07:12:45 PM »
Instead of white pigment or ink......simply lessen he pigment load ......go to 5 Percent or 2 percent to achieve a more pastel color....pms book never says to add opaque white.  We've had good success wit this method.