Author Topic: Roland Pro 4? Anyone got one or experience with one?  (Read 2958 times)

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Roland Pro 4? Anyone got one or experience with one?
« on: August 05, 2013, 08:44:04 AM »
Thinking about pulling the trigger on one this week.  Anyone with one, pros/cons?

http://www.rolanddga.com/products/printcut/xr/

Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Roland Pro 4? Anyone got one or experience with one?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 09:31:05 AM »
you can only print OR cut, not both at the same time = slower production. nice machine but I wouldn't do it -unless you get a smokin deal.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 10:31:24 AM »
Not much experience with it. Saw it at the NBM show in Indy. Looked good, but as Homer said not as production friendly.

If you want to do decals and wraps, go with separate printer and cutter. If you do anything with the lamination, you will have to print and then laminate and then put back in the printer to cut. While if you had separate printer and cutter, you can still be printing while cutting on a separate machine.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 10:53:11 AM »
you can only print OR cut, not both at the same time = slower production. nice machine but I wouldn't do it -unless you get a smokin deal.

We don't do a lot of stickers at this time, so slower production out front wont be a super big deal at all.  Add a stand alone cutter later if needed later.  Not super concerned with that.   

We turn down sticker orders every day, but its hardly going to be what drives the business.  Its just a add on to our design services since we do a bunch of logo design and the follow up question is almost always hey I want 100 of those cut or door logos for my truck, and so on.  We have a plotter but our customers want printed.  So we stopped offering the plotter services at this time.  Wont be doing any wraps to start but wanted a machine that would do it if I decided later to do it.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 11:17:53 AM »
what type of quotes are you getting? sounds like you have a plan so if the number sounds good, grab it. Rolands are super popular so service/parts should be readily available close by. are you looking at a laminator as well?
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 11:23:45 AM »
Then you would be better off with Mimaki for a lot less money.
http://www.mimakiusa.com/SignGraphics.aspx?ct=show&cid=299&level=3&pid=2

But then again, check who has the closest techs. That means a lot when it comes to the printers.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 11:55:29 AM »
what type of quotes are you getting? sounds like you have a plan so if the number sounds good, grab it. Rolands are super popular so service/parts should be readily available close by. are you looking at a laminator as well?

I am sure time I get it all said and done be around 40k.  Going to get a laminator yes.  Roland has been a brand I trust, had 2 plotters from them in the past, great stuff.  I am not saying they are the best or nothing but a lot of people are saying the Pro 4 is a really slick machine. 

Then you would be better off with Mimaki for a lot less money.
http://www.mimakiusa.com/SignGraphics.aspx?ct=show&cid=299&level=3&pid=2

But then again, check who has the closest techs. That means a lot when it comes to the printers.

Heard time and time again that Mimaki is great stuff, saw there stuff at SEMA last year and I dunno if they rush printed something or whatever but 2 machines had printed stuff hanging on it still, and I wasn't impressed.  Again could be just done fast.  Either way I walked away unimpressed.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 12:16:34 PM »
The only worthy options you have are Roland and Mimaki in print/cut systems.

Also, HP latex system and Mutoh in print only machines that require cutters.

The good thing about HP, there is no cure time (Outgas) for prints between printing and lamination. Every solvent print should outgas for at least 24 hours before lamination. Bad thing, you can not print heat press transfers with latex ink.

I bought used Mutoh few months ago, and still learning it. I wanted to see if the printer will be profitable before buying a brand new one. Hope to run this one for about a year and then get the new one. Also, bought brand new Graphtec FC8600-130 cutter to go with it.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 01:08:17 PM »

The good thing about HP, there is no cure time (Outgas) for prints between printing and lamination. Every solvent print should outgas for at least 24 hours before lamination. Bad thing, you can not print heat press transfers with latex ink.

I bought used Mutoh few months ago, and still learning it. I wanted to see if the printer will be profitable before buying a brand new one. Hope to run this one for about a year and then get the new one. Also, bought brand new Graphtec FC8600-130 cutter to go with it.

I wouldn't be totally against other options but I just like the Roland stuff.  I dunno just me I guess.  Haven't been let down by them so I just try to stick with companies that I have good results from. 

I have heard the out gas stuff before but I have seen plenty shops coating right away.  We are considering the heater as well, wouldn't that speed that up as well? 

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 02:55:23 PM »

Took your advice, my buddy is good friends with the VP at Mutoh, I got them getting me a quote now. 

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 03:00:52 PM »

Took your advice, my buddy is good friends with the VP at Mutoh, I got them getting me a quote now. 

I like the machine I have, new ones are much better.
As far as the cutters, see if you are willing to spend the money for Summa, that is the best one I heard.
I looked at it, but I thought that I should be OK with new Graphtec. I think I got pretty good deal on the new Graphtec too. If you want, I can get you in contact with the sales guy that sold me me the cutter.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 03:09:52 PM »

I like the machine I have, new ones are much better.
As far as the cutters, see if you are willing to spend the money for Summa, that is the best one I heard.
I looked at it, but I thought that I should be OK with new Graphtec. I think I got pretty good deal on the new Graphtec too. If you want, I can get you in contact with the sales guy that sold me me the cutter.

Ill wait and see, my buddy is real close with the VP, so I am suppose to be getting passed a really good deal.  We will see.