Author Topic: computer memory problem  (Read 2266 times)

Offline ole jobe

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
computer memory problem
« on: August 06, 2013, 12:48:43 PM »
New computer. Came with 2 GB memory. Installed 6 GB. Computer properties: Memory 8GB installed (3GB useable). The three installed modules are identical to the one pre-installed. Anyone have any idea how to make the woman in the little black box utilize all the memory? (I know there is a woman in the little black box because she doesn't want to do what I tell her.)

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

Re: computer memory problem
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 12:55:43 PM »
im guessing you have a 32 bit operating system.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 01:07:05 PM »
im guessing you have a 32 bit operating system.

ditto!
32bit operating systems can not address that much RAM. You might have to but the 64bit OS or get a new computer.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ole jobe

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 01:13:32 PM »
I am a cheapie. I bought refurbished from Tiger Direct. The description said Maximum Ram 16GB.

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 01:20:02 PM »
Just what they said. What OS are trying? XP or Windows 7 32 or Windows 7 64? or ??????

Shane

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 01:25:28 PM »
I am a cheapie. I bought refurbished from Tiger Direct. The description said Maximum Ram 16GB.
that's the limitation of the hardware. 32bit software can only work with 4GB regardless of what the hardware supports. My guess is 1GB si going to your video memory, but somebody else here would know more about that.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline dsh

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 02:18:44 PM »
I upgraded from win 7-32 to win 7-64 and  installed the 64 bit OS on a Solid State Drive.  It made things a whole lot faster, and I use all the memory now.

Offline ole jobe

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 04:12:49 PM »
Thanks for all the info. My problem is that I have a lot of old software (photofinish, pagemaker 6.5, etc.) that I use regularly that don't  have driver support for 64 bit. Can I run 7 32 bit and 7 64 bit on the same computer?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 04:23:57 PM »
Thanks for all the info. My problem is that I have a lot of old software (photofinish, pagemaker 6.5, etc.) that I use regularly that don't  have driver support for 64 bit. Can I run 7 32 bit and 7 64 bit on the same computer?

yes, you can. Have a separate install (dual boot) of the 64bit version put on the computer.

pierre

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 11:15:24 PM »
But you don't have to.  You can run 32 bit programs on the 64 bit OS.  They weren't stupid, they made sure that would work.

Windows now has two program files directories.  Program Files and Program Files (86).  The latter is the 32 bit versions.

Adobe CS5 and CS6 is a mixed bag of 32 bit and 64 bit programs.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 10:33:36 AM »
But you don't have to.  You can run 32 bit programs on the 64 bit OS.  They weren't stupid, they made sure that would work.

Windows now has two program files directories.  Program Files and Program Files (86).  The latter is the 32 bit versions.

Adobe CS5 and CS6 is a mixed bag of 32 bit and 64 bit programs.

we have a scanner that does not work on 64bit OS, but works fine with on the 32bit version with 32 bit drivers. I think this might be the case with OP issues.

pierre

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 10:44:26 AM »
That's hardware Pierre... It needs drivers that are 64 bit.  The OP only mentioned old SOFTware.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 10:45:49 AM »
That's hardware Pierre... It needs drivers that are 64 bit.  The OP only mentioned old SOFTware.

ahhh, yeah, I related to my problem and shoehorned the OP into it!

pierre

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 10:56:04 AM »
No sweat, I figured that much.

I just don't want Jobe there trying to worry about dual booting and having two different OS's all for not.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 11:29:25 AM »
Especially two of what is, essentially, the same OS.   Save that trouble for when you want to play with something new.  ;D