Author Topic: Discharge job on a 300+ shirt order on a manual  (Read 5468 times)

Offline psychocitron

Discharge job on a 300+ shirt order on a manual
« on: August 08, 2013, 02:33:19 PM »
Hello....

We are fairly new to discharge printing, as we mainly print plastisol.  We haven't yet worked out all the kinks.  We were working with Gildan 90%cotton 10%polyester Antique cherry red t-shirt garments.  our formula was 95% matsui discharge bright, drips of yellow and a tiny black ink to produce the off white look they were asking for, a minute amount of water, to keep it fluid and activator. Our trouble was with keeping the fine lines, the subtext, if you will, of the print clear.  Every 8-10 shirts, even with keeping the holes flooded between prints, and printing at a pretty fast pace ( for a manual printer) there were certain areas of the finer details (the tittles over the i's and the tails on the capital B's, as well as build up towards the tops of the stems of the larger letters) kept clogging.  It got so bad that it was easier to take down the screen, wash it out and start all over. The discharge screen was a 125 mesh. What am I doing wrong so the screen does not dry out?  Too much activator?  Screen mesh?  zero off contact vs. slight off contact?  If there is anyone who can decipher my issue and let me know what they think, I'll be in their debt.  Thanks!  We successfully got it out and the client was completely satisfied with what they got, but it took us entirely too long from start to finish than we would have liked.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 02:42:39 PM by psychocitron »

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Re: Discharge job on a 300+ shirt order on a manual
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 02:37:35 PM »
Hello....

We are fairly new to discharge printing, as we mainly print plastisol.  We haven't yet worked out all the kinks.  We were working with Gildan 90%cotton 10%polyester Antique cherry red t-shirt garments.  our formula was 95% binder, drips of yellow and a tiny black ink to produce the off white look they were asking for, a minute amount of water, to keep it fluid and activator. Our trouble was with keeping the fine lines, the subtext, if you will, of the print clear.  Every 8-10 shirts, even with keeping the holes flooded between prints, and printing at a pretty fast pace ( for a manual printer) there were certain areas of the finer details (the tittles over the i's and the tails on the capital B's, as well as build up towards the tops of the stems of the larger letters) kept clogging.  It got so bad that it was easier to take down the screen, wash it out and start all over. The discharge screen was a 125 mesh.  For the water based print which accompanied this order on a few other shirts (which was a red ink on oxford and dark heather), was rather runny and not bold enough to our liking (SOMEWHAT TRANSLUCENT, STILL LOOKED GOOD, BUT...), however, print after print on the waterbased, the tittles and tails did not dry up and we used a 110 mesh screen.  My question is this... is there an ULTIMATE recipe for the best discharge AND the best water based prints? What am I doing wrong so the screen does not dry out?  Too much activator?  Screen mesh?  zero off contact vs. slight off contact?  If there is anyone who can decipher my issue and let me know what they think, I'll be in their debt.  Thanks!

We switched to doing 156 screens for most of our discharge prints. Make sure they screen is flooded, when you are switching plattens or loading the next shirt. That's a big thing. You can also try adding some retarder, or extender in your ink. That tends to help us alot as well.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 02:50:05 PM »
Looks like it's just dry in.  Your mesh is probably fine but I would opt for a 150/48 on this.  The more open area to the mesh, the easier time you'll have with dry in.  Use the most open mesh available that can hold the image. 

Add more H20 to the white, I personally think DC white prints best when it's runnier and it will help the white pigment pass through the mesh opening, thus reducing the likelihood of dry in.

Also, just fatten up that text a little next time.

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 04:48:25 PM »
this and opacity is why I prefer Magna Super White over the others.  Its runny already and the brightest discharge white I have ever seen.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 08:09:15 PM »
A couple of questions for you. How hot is it in your shop? And do you have any fans or A/C blowing on the screening area? both could be factors. Usually a little retarder in the ink will fix it for you, just make sure you don't use too much as it can affect drying time in the dryer.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline inkstain

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 02:11:04 AM »
this and opacity is why I prefer Magna Super White over the others.  Its runny already and the brightest discharge white I have ever seen.

Howdy.
I'm interested in getting the magna super white myself. This may not be the place, but sounds like you like it and was wondering if its the one without the formaldehyde.  No crazy smell in the shop?  My shop gets pretty hot and a lot of humidity due to being in hawaii. Think it'll work for me?  I stopped using discharge cause of the fumes.
Thanks and sorry for side tracking this post.
Aloha

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 10:23:24 AM »
that's the trade off, the ZF is the one that works best, but it also is worst smelling one on the market.  That white is so blinging, but it stinks up the whole block around here.  Just decide whats more important to ya.   A awesome print and taking 5 years off of your life, or a dull NF print and living 5 more years! ;D
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 01:06:18 PM »
Ventilate appropriately and you can have both!

Offline inkstain

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 10:46:29 PM »
that's the trade off, the ZF is the one that works best, but it also is worst smelling one on the market.  That white is so blinging, but it stinks up the whole block around here.  Just decide whats more important to ya.   A awesome print and taking 5 years off of your life, or a dull NF print and living 5 more years! ;D

From what I saw on the magna site, the super white is formaldehyde free. But I may be wrong.

http://www.magnacolours.com/upload/g5983g5989magnaprintdischargeulfsystem1.pdf

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 09:21:02 AM »
there must be 2 versions, because the good one is definitely ZFS.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline chubsetc

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 09:35:43 AM »
Yes, there are 2 versions, when I tried the ZFS version on dirks recommendation I loved it compared to the others. 

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 09:40:02 AM »
Looks like this one mentions:
MagnaPrint® Discharge Super White ULF Ultra GA –
ready made white discharge base for white shades

Offline nobrainsd

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 12:19:41 PM »
The Magna ULF series bases are for use with Activator M (the NF activator). The AB AW bases are for use with the standard ZFS activator. I have had really good results with the NF activator, but haven't tested the ZFS system. My neighbors would pitch a fit! I have been impressed with the washability too. Sourceone (Nazdar) is still offering an introductory pigment set and a gallon of the base of your choice for less than $100. A great way to try out the Magna line regardless of base type.

The NF system has been great for me as I could never swing the ZFS in my print setting. But remember that the Activator M won't ship on anything other than a truck delivery, no Fedex or UPS even if it would go ground. Will call all the way for me. 

Online Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 06:25:29 PM »
The Magna ULF series bases are for use with Activator M (the NF activator). The AB AW bases are for use with the standard ZFS activator. I have had really good results with the NF activator, but haven't tested the ZFS system. My neighbors would pitch a fit! I have been impressed with the washability too. Sourceone (Nazdar) is still offering an introductory pigment set and a gallon of the base of your choice for less than $100. A great way to try out the Magna line regardless of base type.

The NF system has been great for me as I could never swing the ZFS in my print setting. But remember that the Activator M won't ship on anything other than a truck delivery, no Fedex or UPS even if it would go ground. Will call all the way for me.
This has to be a problem with US shipping regulations.As I have mentioned several times before , we got a whole lot of activator M shipped directly from the UK to Japan with FedEx. No issues at all. But then I would not put it past those cheeky Brits to have issued fake shipping documents.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 07:39:46 PM »
Anyone using Magna's regular waterbase or either of the high solids bases alongside the DC base? 

I finally looked at their lineup and it looks quite versatile.  The pigs are clearly very concentrated, rated at 6% max load and, judging by the price, the base looks to be quality.