Author Topic: questions on ink mixing.  (Read 778 times)

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
questions on ink mixing.
« on: August 13, 2013, 10:33:39 AM »
For the most part i have been mixing by eye. I look at the pantone color and mix. I do not want to do this anymore. Sometimes i totally add the wrong color or whatever and i have waste. And its time consuming trying to get it close to the PMS color.

So we use Union inks. I am registered to use their mixing system online.

I am pretty sure i dont have to buy a whole system, we can just use the colors we have here for the most part.

So the questions i have is:

Do i buy some container and put it on the scale empty and zero it out thenuse the weight? or volume? what works best for this? I know its maybe the size of the job or what not.

Maybe looking for how to do it efficiently..

thanks

Rob

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: questions on ink mixing.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 11:23:13 AM »
Yes you zero out the container you are using. Many buy deli food type containers for pints and quarts or real buckets for gallons (though you will almost always want a container at least half again as larger to make stirring easier)

Then, the Union software gives you volume options, with all components given in their corresponding weights. Zero between components.

The Union system you posted requires their inks. I believe that they have two or three different systems, all complete inks rather than the base and pigment systems like the Wilflex PC.
Complete ink systems are easier to use on really small amounts.

btw, I still use the Mixo system mostly because it includes formulas to match stock Union colors. I also often mix tiny amounts.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: questions on ink mixing.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 11:47:35 AM »
Thank you frog!