Author Topic: Clip of the week.....Holographic Foil  (Read 2070 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Clip of the week.....Holographic Foil
« on: July 14, 2011, 10:04:42 AM »
This actually two different foils on one application. Its impossible to show with a still camera but the larger area at the bottom actually changes color from teal to purple depending on the viewing angle. I have a tip or two for doing large areas of foil if anyones interested.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 10:30:44 AM by blue moon »

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
Re: Clip of the week.....Holographic Foil
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 10:20:58 AM »
Picture?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 10:27:43 AM »
Its coming Pierre is putting it together

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 10:36:04 AM »
How does this hold up in the wash?

I'd like to see a pic of it after ten launderings.

Do you use a similar color underneath?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 10:57:01 AM »
I will do that Frog......shirt is five ys old never washed so we'll see. One reason large areas of foil don't hold up well in the wash is improper application. I've several tips on how to do this but heres my spin. There is no one ink/screen application that is truly optimum. I've seen tips on using 200 micron cap film but that results in blurry edges and when you try this on large areas you can experience concave doming which results in uneven release of the foil. What you want to look for after you release the foil is absolutey zero residue on the carrier sheet. Many experience residue usually in the form of the shirt weave pattern. Which is why many use red under red foil etc. When I first experienced this I stumbled upon a solution that proved immediately succesful and easy. The foil image is printed through a relatively tight 160 mesh screen using a high density clear (no cap film). The image is flashed and the gelled ink has pretty much fill the wales of the weave. But not completely. The shirt is brought back around under the exact same screen and printed a second time. This second kiss seals the deal. We now have a very flat, even, shiny surface for optimum adhesion.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 11:00:24 AM »
I will do that Frog......shirt is five ys old never washed so we'll see. One reason large areas of foil don't hold up well in the wash is improper application. I've several tips on how to do this but heres my spin. There is no one ink/screen application that is truly optimum. I've seen tips on using 200 micron cap film but that results in blurry edges and when you try this on large areas you can experience concave doming which results in uneven release of the foil. What you want to look for after you release the foil is absolutey zero residue on the carrier sheet. Many experience residue usually in the form of the shirt weave pattern. Which is why many use red under red foil etc. When I first experienced this I stumbled upon a solution that proved immediately succesful and easy. The foil image is printed through a relatively tight 160 mesh screen using a high density clear (no cap film). The image is flashed and the gelled ink has pretty much fill the wales of the weave. But not completely. The shirt is brought back around under the exact same screen and printed a second time. This second kiss seals the deal. We now have a very flat, even, shiny surface for optimum adhesion.

ahhh, very cool. I have been doing something similar and getting pretty good results, but could not really tell why. This makes sense!
Now that I know, I'll pay closer attention to it.

Thanx Tony!
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 11:07:46 AM »
So, I guess that also answers that you guys do not see an advantage of using a similarly colored "adhesive".

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 11:35:45 AM »
I printed  some Gold plastisol once, based on that I was told that plastisol can be used as foil adhesive and that a similarly colored "adhesive" helps hide the imperfections as the foil eventually starts to flake away. I used Union Ultrasoft and for the life of me, I could not get it to act like an adhesive. I eventually just used a real foil adhesive and the foil adhered beautifully.
Is there a technique on using plastisol  ink as an adhesive that I'm missing?
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 11:43:34 AM »
I'd say, don't use metallics! Use a tan or yellow that just gives the impression of being similar.
I'm pretty sure that the actual metal powder is reducing the "stick" On the other hand, if you didn't want the foil to adhere there, you know what would happen. lol!

But hey, I certainly defer to guys like Tony on this. The closest I've come to this technique was when I worked in an engraving embossing shop working on paper.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 04:30:02 PM »
Rad Tony.  We don't do foil b/c no one has ever requested it.  (we're a little behind the times out here, fashion trend wise, or maybe just on our own time).

Do you apply your foil in-line?   That always seemed like a clever way to go about this to me.