Author Topic: Glow in the Dark Ink  (Read 2992 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Glow in the Dark Ink
« on: September 26, 2013, 03:59:09 PM »
I've got a customer that wants some glow in the dark ink printed on some shirts, we have never printed this before, I've spoke with a rep, but would like some real time info from some you that have use it before.  what color shirts work best and what won't ...

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
Re: Glow in the Dark Ink
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 04:05:05 PM »
Ive used the Union glow in the dark before. It was damn expensive. I printed it on white, so I can't attest to how it goes on darks. It was very easy to print with though. Not really like a normal ink, more of the consistency of pudding. Printed it through a 110 manually with no problems.

Offline kirkage

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 04:08:43 PM »
if you print it on a dark body, you have to underbase it with white. Glow in the dark is not opaque. It works great if you print your typical two layers of white and then print the glow on top. After curing, hold it close to a light to charge it up good and then turn out the lights and see it glow

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 04:34:07 PM »
I printed a black shirt with white underbase, I used the opaque stuff, and I was not impressed. I charged it with sunlight but still not impressed. It was the first and last time I used it , so i may not have done something right.

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 04:54:55 PM »
D.  The WM Plastics Glow in the Dark ink has the heaviest pigment load of the major players.  Call Bill.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 05:03:04 PM »
With a good white (or used Hightlighter yellow PMS 395- neat look even in regular light)
AND an 83 mesh to get enough Glow gel down. Key- you need a ample amount to charge
and last in darkness.

Wilflex has a powder that is a fraction of the cost of finished Glow ink.
Use the right clear base, proper percent of powder and works like a charm.

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 05:35:22 PM »
I bought the pigment so I can use it with shirt and flatstock ink and it (at least the stuff I bought) will glow like nobody's business. The nice thing about the pigment is that you can choose your own load and control the cost. It definitely does better on white.

Offline Rob Coleman

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 08:30:32 AM »
Just as an FYI - not all glow in the dark are created equally.  And it is NOT just glow pigment level.  There are different grades of phosphorescent powder. 

Wilflex for example offers THREE different rfu glows and two different powders.  The Kosmic Glo powder is significantly better (quicker charge; longer life) than the standard excite yellow powder.  It is also significantly more expensive!
Rob Coleman | Vice President
Textile Business Unit | Nazdar SourceOne | sourceone.nazdar.com
(800) 677-4657 ext. 3708 | Cell (678) 230-4463
rcoleman@nazdar.com

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 09:25:09 AM »
Rob~
We have only used the Excite powder-
Under same charge, approx. how much longer does the Kosmic Glo last?
In time 20%, 50%. There has to be some studies...

Thanks!

Offline Rob Coleman

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 10:47:31 AM »
Gary:  I just spoke with Steve at Wilflex in Tech Services - awesome guy by the way!  Always there to help.  Under the same charge, he would expect the Kosmic Glow powder to have at least a 50% longer glow life - perhaps even double.

Also, for their premix INTENSE Kosmic Glow - they add about 25% of this powder by weight.  So while the tech sheet states add 10%, you can add really as much as you want.  This is true with the regular excite yellow as well - they add 20% in their regular phosphorescent premix.

Hope this helps!
rcoleman@nazdar.com

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 10:53:19 AM »
Ye he is neat!
Toured the plant back in '94 with a company as production coordinator
and he is still as helpful as always. Must like his job!

Atlanta highway loop... wait for it...  :o

Ray was a young whipper snapper back then too!
Wilflex is like Blue- keep them and prosper.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 10:57:42 AM »
We use the Wilflex Phosphorescent, kinda clear looking top coating ink. Even though they say it won't work as well over dark colors, we've seen if you build it up thick, the crystals that are in it that actually glow still work over a darker ink. We have even printed it over a flashed scarlet red, 81 mesh 2 coats, that stuff glows like you wouldn't believe. Really cool stuff and glows for a long time!!!!
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline Rob Coleman

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 03:34:22 PM »
We use the Wilflex Phosphorescent, kinda clear looking top coating ink. Even though they say it won't work as well over dark colors, we've seen if you build it up thick, the crystals that are in it that actually glow still work over a darker ink. We have even printed it over a flashed scarlet red, 81 mesh 2 coats, that stuff glows like you wouldn't believe. Really cool stuff and glows for a long time!!!!

This is spot on.  The heavier the deposit the better the glow.  Use a 100-200 micron stencil to help with ink deposit!
rcoleman@nazdar.com

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 05:44:44 PM »
I have a source for some pretty wicked stuff. comes in a powder and is available in several different colors. It is pricey, but it is so bright you could almost read by it!
In the end, it is still glow in the dark and you have to have the light to dark transition to really get the effect.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 06:34:08 PM »
Luminova

• Afterglow period of ten times current ZnS based phosphorescent pigments.

• Activation by a wide wavelength band (200-450 nm) but best results are obtained with an activation energy under 350 nm;

• Initial afterglow brightness of up to ten times that of conventional phosphorescent pigments;

• Increase in luminescence and afterglow with longer activation time;

• Excellent weather and light fastness;

• Free of hazardous and radioactive substances.

I've seen this stuff go 20+ hours and still be showing up in a dark room, and it's not radioactive which is always a bonus.... Works great mixed in epoxy ink and painted on fishing lures... ;D
Wishin' I was Fishin'