Author Topic: Biker Race night concept - sketch to final-progress  (Read 3587 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Biker Race night concept - sketch to final-progress
« on: April 11, 2011, 02:02:24 PM »
This is the first concept for a Biker tee. 6 color on black limitations. Tight budget. Who's of guessed?  But I had this sketch from another older job.

Lets see what happens from here. The customer has not seen it yet. So it's a good starting point to show here, what I provide and what the customer changes. I feel he's going to want more bikes, a Race going on, couple of busty chicks etc all for $100.00  LOL.

I think I'd like to add some flags in the guys hands (behind his back kinda hanging down) like he's the checkered flag guy.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 02:04:35 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline letteringguy

• Verified/Junior
Re: Biker Race night concept - sketch to final-progress
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 01:49:12 PM »
Pretty Cool! But a hundred bucks? He better be a REALLY good friend, 'cuz it makes the rest of us that do this stuff look like we're charging too much!   ;D

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 02:37:43 PM »

That sketch alone is worth $100.

When clients give me a tight budget, I often quote a reasonable price PLUS revisions. (My normal quotes include 2 revisions to a sketch).

Nice pencil work, though, Dan!
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 12:07:58 AM »
I feel he's going to want more bikes, a Race going on, couple of busty chicks etc all for $100.00  LOL.
hahaha.  You two thought that I'd do this for $100.00 Bahahahha.    You know me, It's the Dot-Tone.
I charge out the wazoo and your Momma's too.   LOL.  oops. Sorry. That was a bit naughty. Not your momma's too. Lets leave Momma out of it. ;)  No, I was making a joke that is all to often a familiar request.  It's funny but people actually use the Wimpy line pretty often.
"I will gladly pay you on Tues. for some artwork today".  LOL.

Seriously. The discount here was that I'd do this up for the customer "at a discounted fee" and when the customer orders, I'd charge my actual fee of (Dan hold pinky to mouth).......$1000000.00  If they take it as is, it would be about $500.00 normally with seps included.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 12:10:13 PM »
Looking good "Dane" ;)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 01:36:58 PM »
Looking good "Dane" ;)

hahaha.  Cute. I like it.  You should start to see that i really do like a good critique. Thats why I have started a section here. Please feel free to chime in any time.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 02:03:19 PM »
hahaha.  Cute. I like it.  You should start to see that i really do like a good critique. Thats why I have started a section here. Please feel free to chime in any time.

Understand me, I'm arguing difference between t-shirt design and something that is supposed to be a logo :)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 01:02:37 PM »
Ok.  I can take that...but no mater what that customer had said, he wanted a tee shirt done first and didn't want it to be a plain vector simple logo. He sent me what he wanted it to be, including that door. He left allot of the details out in in latest response. All that embroidery talk came well after the fact and more so from you. In his first email describing what he wanted, he said that he wanted to do posters, signs, coffee cups, embroidery, tee shirts etc. So my next step had he wanted to pay me to convert it to vector for emb. would be to make a simpler version of that...had he asked me to.

So your whole stance was directed away from it being crap or not...to pertaining to the "general process of designing a logo" and not specific to this particular job request.  So, when you say
"I'm arguing difference between t-shirt design and something that is supposed to be a logo
  You are not addressing this job requesters specific needs (however you define the proper procedures and elements for a logo design) since it was spelled out to do a tee shirt design. ::)

Offline virgil427

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 03:13:19 PM »
I like the detail of the bikes I have several friends who have bikes like these ,the detail in the underside of the frame is nice to see and the fact you used the old duo tone gas tanks, I also like the stretched look around the guys knees, like hes been riding long and hard. You remove the advertising you could sell the print at biker rallys.really nice detial dan

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 07:03:03 PM »
I would add that you've established a nice sense of space by keeping the detail in the bikers a bit simpler, letting the "flagman" come forward. Don't tart those bikes and people in the background up with a bunch of fussy crap. Looks good the way you've got 'em.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 07:42:15 PM »
I would add that you've established a nice sense of space by keeping the detail in the bikers a bit simpler, letting the "flagman" come forward. Don't tart those bikes and people in the background up with a bunch of fussy crap. Looks good the way you've got 'em.

Will try. Thanks for the input all.

Dan

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 08:45:05 PM »
can you add a fat lady on a unicycle holding a cigar in one hand and a monkey in another?
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 08:45:56 PM »
I like monkeys.
Dale Hoyal