Author Topic: Spray Outs!  (Read 4046 times)

Offline Grumpy Ole Artist

• Eschew obfuscation
Spray Outs!
« on: October 24, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
Just ran a small order (20 pcs) of customer supplied Nike reversible basketball jerseys. Press op MUST have been having a bad day because she printed the entire order on the back instead of the front. Any tips/tricks to removing a large full block print, (I know, order a drum of spif !) Would pre-soaking in spif/lacquer thinner (anything?) loosen ink /lessen spray out time. Boss is understandably freaking out, these shirts are expensive! Any magic tricks of which I am unaware?
Humor is the unexpected juxtaposition of incongruities.

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Spray Outs!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 09:58:45 AM »
It would be loads cheaper to reprint.  If you could spray it out the impression of the print would be there still.  That would leave you with an unhappy customer.  Just redo it.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 10:40:45 AM »
Yep this one has to be redone unless you work something out with the custy  good luck....

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 11:02:25 AM »
Every single time I screw up even one piece when it's a huge area, and try to fix it, I find that either
1. It takes more time, and chemical expense than was worth it,
and/or
2. Even when it comes out, it still doesn't look right.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 12:27:05 PM »
Yeah it would just make you Grumpier when you were done and
still see the stain ring.

Did that 20+ years ago (and again I'm sure) working for a company on
my -first t-shirt job. Was so focused on the 4 spot color alignment,
printed on wrong side! My boss said my punishment was for me to
go tell the owner.  :(

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 12:54:07 PM »
I would have to agree, with the price of SPIF and the cost of time to have someone remove it all it would be better to just re buy the shirts. It would suck to spend all that time and money(and smell) to deliver the customer a "kinda nice shirt".
It sucks but it happens to all of us. Make the printer wear the shirts for their work uniform for the next 6 months, it will teach everyone a lesson! ;)
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 01:36:39 PM »
Thanx all, confirms what I thought...figured it was worth a shot! Last grasps from a desperate man! LOL!  :o We are going to try adding a free collar crest on the front and see what the customer says...fingers crossed! Thanx again!

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
Spray Outs!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 03:04:43 PM »

Thanx all, confirms what I thought...figured it was worth a shot! Last grasps from a desperate man! LOL!  :o We are going to try adding a free collar crest on the front and see what the customer says...fingers crossed! Thanx again!
give to them at cost and walk away

Roger
RT screen designs
Www.rtscreendesigns. Com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 09:32:50 AM »
"customer supplied Nike reversible basketball jerseys"
printing costs not an issue, eating a big pile of someone else's goods, is! LOL!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 09:38:27 AM »
"customer supplied Nike reversible basketball jerseys"
printing costs not an issue, eating a big pile of someone else's goods, is! LOL!

Brings up another issue: responsibility (or lack thereof) of damage to customer supplied garments.
I, like most of you have the disclaimer, but damn, it's hard to stick by it with a clear conscience, ain't it!

I do like the idea of working with them, and adding a small print in front where they had originally wanted the present back print.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 09:59:28 AM »
Yeah, we don't replace customer goods on a mis-sew or mis-print, but if we jack up the entire order and it's clearly our fault, we do.  This is one of the reasons I hate customer supplied goods.

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 10:19:08 AM »
We have learned on this. Among a couple of others over the years:
A lady brought in a Pottery Barn Kids "Air Plane"stocking for a name embroidered on it.
It was ruined and we bought new and had express shipped a "Train" stocking (planes were out.  >:(
Wouldn't you know we were the bain of her existence.

Now sign reads- "We only decorate goods we sell." -Thank you for understanding
I explain as that's how we make a living, selling the actual garments.

I'm with Frog - it's hard to have a policy of not replacing, then when one happens,
what's a guy to do when they are standing in front of you??
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 10:22:19 AM by GaryG »

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 12:58:28 PM »
We have the sign below clearly displayed and have the customer sign a acknowledgement if we accept their garments. But for a situation like putting a  back print on the front, that is kinda a hard one to explain. That is just negligence or a broken system. I'm not trying to be mean, but it is a bit more than a ink stain or a shirt that moved or something minor. All I'm saying is it is hard to explain the situation in question without saying, "ya, this is our fault". In this situation I would bite the bullet if they don't want the alternate print location(good idea). Probably in the long run it will be easier and cheaper than going back and forth with them or possibly being bad mouthed to other potential customers. 
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 02:16:17 PM »
I haven't had a chance to pull the press op aside and discuss the situation. So all I do know is that at it's core, it's gotta be negligence.(On SOMEONE'S part)  I don't recall ever having seen that particular brand/style garment through here before, but they DO have a printed swoosh logo in the collar (at the back). So even a first timer picking one of them up isn't going to put it on backwards! There are some SERIOUS systemic problems extant around here, so it isn't inconceivable that the paperwork was either confusing/conflicting, or just. flat. wrong...
Experience here has taught me not to rule out  that possibility! LOL! Thanx for the feedback, all!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 02:36:37 PM »
On the front and back thing.
Last Saturday, my wife was at a dog show, and spent some time with folks we know from a rescue group.
One guy, was asking her about shirts for his metal sculpture business, but wanted to make sure that the collars were not as high and tight as the one he had on from the last time I ran some for Ridgeback Rescue.
She checked it out to discover that the shirt itself was labeled backwards! No wonder the collar was high in the "front'!

It got past me pulling and printing, and her folding and packing.