Author Topic: mac os X Lion upgrade?  (Read 4804 times)

Offline thinkdesign

• Verified/Junior
mac os X Lion upgrade?
« on: July 21, 2011, 11:11:48 AM »
For those that use mac's are or have you upgraded to lion? If so have you run into any problems.   

I want to upgrade but just checked roaringapps.com and saw someone reported that there is a problem with ill cs5. I will have to look into that before I go any farther. Also need to check my epson drivers for the 1400. Thought this might be a good thread to start to share any issues with lion.

Joel

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
Re: mac os X Lion upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 11:16:50 AM »
I have Snow Leopard and I just started having issues with the printers at work. It will pause all the printers when the file is sent to them.

I have not heard anything about Lion.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 12:03:42 PM »
Wow. I thought that the main selling point of Mac is super compatibility.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 12:12:15 PM »
Wow. I thought that the main selling point of Mac is super compatibility.

No, it's stability and UI simplicity. And/or, it can be argued, "cool" factor.

Having worked for a small software company before, I've seen this a lot. Every time Mac and Windows upgrades their OS, there are problems for software developers, who have to  scramble to fix compatibility bugs BEFORE public release of the new OS. In turn, third-party developers then have scramble to to upgrade THEIR products to be compatible with the updated software AND the new OS.

The take-away here is DON'T rush out and upgrade to the newest OS right away, if you are running a business dependent on it. Give it some time to let the bugs get worked out at the 2nd and 3rd party software developer level.

Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 12:13:29 PM »
This is the exact reason I just ditched FireFox.  What a crappy program that has become.  Chrome is sleeker and much, much faster.  Almost all of my bottlenecks are gone now.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 12:23:02 PM »
The take-away here is DON'T rush out and upgrade to the newest OS right away, if you are running a business dependent on it. Give it some time to let the bugs get worked out at the software developer level.

I couldn't agree more.  The OS just runs apps, which are what you really need to get your job done.  From what I saw Lion just looks like a slightly "iphone" themed version of snow leopard.  Big deal.  There's a few handy additions in there but nothing that isn't already just as functional under Leopard.  This looks like a mild refinement at best. 

That said, if you plan on purchasing a new mac this year, get ready to deal with lion whether you like it or not I guess. 

And Frog, I think Macs may have actually eclipsed Windows-based machines in terms of compatibility.   We have a wireless printer at the store and it hooked up just fine to all the macs, first try, but our windows 7 point of sale...no dice after hours of troubleshooting.  Hell hath indeed frozen over.    It's always been just the other way around. 

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 12:47:02 PM »
The most issues I have with any of my computers are caused by Explorer, and the whole frigging Windows runs on it.

I had it when I tried to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7. Upgrade disc came with another disc that had "Help" software on it.
Ironically, I could not instal "the Help" software on my PC because it would not run past a certain point.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 12:49:54 PM »
I like W7 so far.  Most of my problems are caused by Firefox, it becomes such a resource hog and even with 12G of RAM, it would slow my system down to a crawl.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »
I was all PC up until 2 years ago. Once I got over the initial fear of the MAC I have no interest in going back to a PC. I have a PC at the ink station and thats it. I got a new Imac at the beginning of the year and it is so stable I dont have any interest in upgrading to Lion.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 03:16:07 PM »
I've been running Macs since 6.0.3, and I usually like to wait for the new OS's to shake out the bugs, so to speak. I really like the $30.00 price tag. I'm running Leopard currently... I'm going to wait a bit.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 05:29:01 PM »
I bought Snow Leopard today at Best Buy. I had to ask at the counter for it and the guy said they're shipping all the copies back to Apple now that Lion is out. You've gotta have Snow Leopard installed to migrate to Lion since (for now) Lion is a download only . . . no CD. Downside of getting a new OS is if you fiddle around with any of the iLife programs like GarageBand, you'll have to buy that separately now if I'm not mistaken. It's included with new computers but not with OS upgrades. This happened to me once before on my old G5.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 05:51:34 PM »
Yeah, you get the iLife package free with a new computer, but if you want upgrades, to have purchase them, if you think you really need them anyway.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 08:07:45 PM »
Kind of hijacking this but how's that iCloud looking to everyone as a potential cloud server for business? 

I ask because what I'm seeing from the direction Lion is taking is Apple leveling out OSX with whatever os it is (iOS maybe?) that runs on the ipad/phones (we have android phones here so I'm clueless on that).  Note the auto-save feature in Lion as well as the feature that recalls your workspace, etc., they're integrating Time Machine functionality into a cloud-friendly process it appears.  If the iCloud works out as business grade stuff, - isn't just for yuppies to store music and photos on - and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I'll probably pull everything over to apple gear so we can fully implement the features.  I'm actually stoked to see this going down with someone.  I'd rather not be tied to apple for everything but at least they're trying to take advantage of the tech we have available in a productive manner.   And at least, if apple builds a system like this it will actually work presumably. 

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 06:57:32 AM »
I upgraded to Lion the first day. It's been good. Some weird UI changes but you get use to them. I like some of the new features a lot.

CS 5.5 work fine. PS and Illustrator. My only issues have been printing to a windows print spool. Also when i switch to Evernote using the command + tab keyboard shortcut it doesn't bring evernote to the front.

Other than that, no complaints from me.
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 07:07:45 AM »
Kind of hijacking this but how's that iCloud looking to everyone as a potential cloud server for business? 

I ask because what I'm seeing from the direction Lion is taking is Apple leveling out OSX with whatever os it is (iOS maybe?) that runs on the ipad/phones (we have android phones here so I'm clueless on that).  Note the auto-save feature in Lion as well as the feature that recalls your workspace, etc., they're integrating Time Machine functionality into a cloud-friendly process it appears.  If the iCloud works out as business grade stuff, - isn't just for yuppies to store music and photos on - and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I'll probably pull everything over to apple gear so we can fully implement the features.  I'm actually stoked to see this going down with someone.  I'd rather not be tied to apple for everything but at least they're trying to take advantage of the tech we have available in a productive manner.   And at least, if apple builds a system like this it will actually work presumably.

We use cloud based stuff for almost everything. Our phone is google voice / skype costs us $3 a month. No real phone in the shop. It's nice because it will ring all our cel phones when someone does call.

We use google apps for business for shared calendars (press dates, due dates, days off etc) this is also available on our cel phones.

Google sites for a wiki that we use for like a screen printing knowledge base. We can search issues, notes on underbases etc.

We use evernote to keep track of customer notes from phone calls etc. The nice thing unlike say a txt document is you don't have to save it, and it's searchable. Also available on our iphones.

As i said in another post we use dropbox.com to share our client folder, we use backblaze.com to back up our computers.

Our price list is a google doc excel sheet.

We're moving more and more services to the cloud every day. You just need to be smart about what services you choose and what you are going to use them for. Make sure they are cross platform and play well with your iphone/android.

I'd really like to get a web based fastmanager. Also a web based quickbooks. Although the web based version of quick books sucks, is expensive and only works with IE on PCs. ugh.

So my though on iCloud.. a day late and a dollar short. We're already up in the cloud!
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart