Author Topic: Trying a new technique  (Read 2607 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Trying a new technique
« on: November 14, 2013, 05:59:22 PM »
I read I think somewhere where Roger Jenning was talking about coating screens, If I'm correct he said to coat the screen once on the print side of high mesh screen 160 and above.  Well I coated a couple today a 230 and a 305 I'll see how good they work in the morning, I'll report back then, unless someone already do this and can share Pros and Cons.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Trying a new technique
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 06:42:45 PM »
If I'm reading correctly you say that think that Roger Jennings suggested coating a screen with a mere single pass on the print side?

I have a hard time believing that.

It's all about depositing enough emulsion to get past the point where the mesh affects edges of your image. (Pretty tough with a single pass. on either side)
Then this also can be increased further to increase ink deposit.
That's Emulsion Over Mesh. It also gives you the benefit of providing a better gasket surface for the ink.
One coating rule that's pretty universal is to always end with a coat on the inside (forcing it to the print side where it does its thing)

And no one would call a 160 even the low end of High Mesh.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 06:45:13 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 07:14:56 PM »
Guys doing flatstock would.  ;)

Yeah, I'd be careful with that.  Are you sure he wasn't saying put one coat of emulsion on to adhere cap film?  i.e. direct/indirect?
I don't know about one pass period.  1/1 does 'well enough' for many meshes if you're not doing fades/small dots, but is unlikely to be ideal.

You're likely to have more issues with pinholes, screen breakdown, high Rz (rough screen) and poor edge quality--i.e. the bad 'gasket' Frog mentions.

On the plus side, you'll have a better releasing stencil, use less ink, less emulsion, and less time coating, burning, developing, drying, and reclaiming.
The better ink release part is the only good reason to look at thinner stencils, IMHO.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 07:27:45 PM »
we do a thin 1/1 for discharge.  works great

Offline chubsetc

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 07:54:36 PM »
Guys doing flatstock would.  ;)

Yeah, I'd be careful with that.  Are you sure he wasn't saying put one coat of emulsion on to adhere cap film?  i.e. direct/indirect?

Roger is very high on cap film and I have never heard him giving any coating instruction that was not about cap film application.

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 08:30:27 PM »
I have coated once on the print side and run 5000 shirts with no breakdown..Emulsion was Nova.  Press was a MHM 4000.  Double Bevels.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 09:52:01 PM »
I have coated once on the print side and run 5000 shirts with no breakdown..Emulsion was Nova.  Press was a MHM 4000.  Double Bevels.

Yeah but that's not selling emulsion Mr. Salesman. ~Just kidding!

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 10:07:56 PM »
If you have a copy of Printwear 2013 Q&A October issue that is where I read the article page 88, I'm thinking the same thing Frog, but hey I thought I would try and see what I get..

Darryl

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 11:22:24 PM »
Well, he did say it.
Let us know how you do. Perhaps some super close up pics of the stencil edge definition would be most enlightening.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 11:52:41 PM »
we do 205 and lower 1/1 flat edge. higher than 205 we do 1/0 with the round edge, but we use Xenon Nova. haven't had a problem since using it.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 03:01:20 AM »
What is the benefit of Nova over something like AqHV?

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 07:41:31 AM »
What is the benefit of Nova over something like AqHV?
Nova is our high solids high detail emulsion.  It was originally developed for people who print on pace makers.  What did they print on the pace makers?  The installation instructions.  The solids count is in the 58% range.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 07:48:01 AM »
This just goes to everything I have been saying about this industry, a bunch of hard working thinking guys and gals who all see and do the same  the same thing but from a completely different point of view......I love it.

I have spent some time watching and early on talking by phone  to Roger Jennings he is very smart but in my opinion very narrowly focused.
His focus back then was cap film, anything other than cap film was wasting time and money was the message I got.

I have also sat in one of Doug Grigar's classes and  read a bunch of his stuff.

. Roger is in my opinion not a big fan of any emulsion leaning heavily to the cap film camp.
  I would like to see Rodger Jennings and Doug Grigar expand  this issue as I think ( if Roger is correctly represented here) the points of view are 180 degrees seperated on  coating screens. I would  buy a ticket to that show make it a read deal an get Greg K to join in we would all be looking and listening.
this is what i could find from Grigar relative to the topic, Roger  has a couple of vids but not specificlly to the method in question

Coating Screens for Maximum Effect
by Douglas Grigar, Master Screen Printer
http://www.thegrendel.com/Shop/osc/grigar_article10.php

Jennings videos Emulsion 1 & 2

Emulsion Vol 1 on Vimeo

Emulsion 2 on Vimeo

mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 07:58:24 AM »
Have you been having problems based on the way you usually coat Darryl? Or is it a curiosity thing? I've always been a multi-coat on both sides kind of guy, 2/2, print side first, squeegee side second; it's been consistent, and it works. But recently, I was reading an article from Joe Clarke expounding the thin coat idea, along with tight control on many other parts of the recipe for making a good print, so I'm curious to hear what you find...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 11:22:28 AM »
Steve, just trying a new technique, my coating is 2/1 now it use to be 1/1 really never had a problem, but so far I burn the 305 with halftones and it burn in half the time and washed out quicker than normal.  I'll be printing in a few...I'll let you all know what I got.

Darryl
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 12:24:58 PM by 3Deep »