Author Topic: e-bay seller warning  (Read 2815 times)

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
e-bay seller warning
« on: July 24, 2011, 08:01:32 AM »
For anyone shopping on e-bay stay away from this guy , wfs_indy , location Noblesville, Indiana.
 We purchased some frames that were never shipped, fortunatelly we got our money back thanks to e-bay dispute we filed.  Just a heads up.
here is some ID info
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190544781212&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Jerimiah Ake (wfs_indy).

mooseman
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 08:04:00 AM by mooseman »
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
Re: e-bay seller warning
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 11:02:45 AM »
He has a 70% positive feedback rating and people are still bidding?
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 11:40:31 AM »
I see some frames I want but now I'm too nervous the act on em. Never really liked Ebay.

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 11:52:03 AM »
I bought and sold a ton on eBay. Great place to do business (but the transaction fees are making me do less and less these days).
eBay is not to be feared but those positive percentage do mean something.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 11:56:18 AM »
Yes buyer beware on E-bay but GREAT deals can be found. I have been shopping on Ebay for 5 years or so and after about 80 transactions have had 1 problem but only because of mis communication between seller and buyer. Dont do business with someone new or that have low ratings (under 90%) and you should be fine.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 12:15:52 PM »
Power Bidders (with a star) should be no problem as they generally have way in excess of 5,000 transactions.

Outside of that, I don't even consider sellers that do not have at least 100 transactions AND an approval rating in excess of 99.0%.  Just my 2c. 
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 12:44:05 PM »
So far I've been lucky with both eBay and Craigslist, but buyer beware is the watchword for sure. The one sketchy encounter I had on Craigslist was a buyer for a Mexican Strat and Hardshell case that I was selling for $425. They FedEx'd me a "check" for $1567 and told me to cash it, go to Western Union and wire the balance to someone in Texas. I called the cops.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 01:33:43 PM »
I bought something just the other day, it's so much cheaper than buying new.  I scour craigslist and ebay for parts I need to complete projects.

I picked up a centrifugal blower to complete my screen cabinet.  Actually, I need some ductwork next to circulate the air back through.  It is going to rock when it's done.

I am moving from a fan that blows 70cfm to 265cfm.  Should make a HUGE difference.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 02:29:12 PM »
So far, half of my roller frame inventory came off eBay and two presses. I've sold 2 cars, wheels, mirrors, a compressor and a band saw on Craigslist, in addition to the guitar. Just gotta watch it.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 05:20:44 PM »
ebay can be a great place to buy, but read the add carefully. I have been using it since 1998 and have sold about 2-3 mil there over the years. It is not what it used to be. Fees for the sellers are raising continuously and seller's protection is diminishing. while it used to be the case that ebay would side with the buyer if the item was defective, they will not any longer unless the description specifically stated so. If the add says I have an item A for sale and it looks like it is in working condition, even if the buyer tells you that it works, they will not back that up and you are stuck with a defective item. For example, you might see a picture of the top of the CD. THe bottom is scratched badly and it does not work. According to ebay, this is still a valid sale unless the add said it was in good working condition.

Many sellers are aware of this and will take advantage of it. Another example. . . EPSON printer in working condition. It is not until you closely inspect the images that one would notice that one of the nozzles is clogged. This is considered working condition and the buyer is stuck with a printer that needs a new head even though they expected a fully functional printer.

The 99% feedback is not what it used to be. The rules were changed few years back and while much stricter, they just skewed everything closer to 100%. While it was more common to leave the negative or critical feedback before, it is much rarer now. Bad feedback drops off unlike before when it never expired. 100% is still extremely difficult to obtain, and seller with that feedback will bend over backwards to maintain it. It is as close to a guarantied satisfactory sale as one can get.

I will also say that it has been a few years since I stopped selling there, but my buying activity continued so the info should still be current.

RECAP: make sure you know what you are getting yourself into before buying!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 07:22:09 AM »
He has a 70% positive feedback rating and people are still bidding?

A 70% rating would put anyone off the mark however the 3 negative ratings this seller has all landed within one week unfortunately he already had my money at that point and appartently that a a couple of others. Looks like he just decidede to take the
I thought I would have to twist e-bay's arm to get some positive action but they really stepped up and sent my payment back right after we escalated to the second dispute level.

mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 10:09:51 AM »
I just bought a Large Intuos4 wacom tablet on eBay. It was more than I had hoped for, but still cheaper than brand new. I'm such a newb at eBay. Hope it goes well.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 01:30:09 PM »
Only had one mishap with e-bay no other problems and I have bought a few products since then
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 03:01:09 PM »
I just had a guy that I was trying to buy a tennis racquet from tell me that it got stolen, I think he was just ticked that it went for $30 instead of $130.

Offline Northland

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 05:32:55 PM »
I've had good luck with both EBAY and Craigslist.

When selling on Craigslist... don't put your phone number in the ad. People will call you at 2AM.
If you use an E-mail addy... you can screen your customers and deal with the people you choose.

When selling/shipping EBAY items... always use "delivery confirmation".
Sorry Canada, Alaska, Hawaii..... shipping big items is too much of a hassle... no can do.