Author Topic: Gripe of the Week  (Read 5207 times)

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Gripe of the Week
« on: August 03, 2011, 03:50:32 PM »
Not a week goes by that I don't get a call from some hobbiest asking
me for supplies or information or to coat and burn screens or to sell them ink.
And chances are, these folks clicked on advertising that costs me money
to call me about something that I obviously do not provide or advertise for.

I don't mind talking shop, on my schedule. If you're keeping me from the
the actual work that keeps me in business I am going to hang up on you.
If you're going to question me as to why we don't coat and burn screens and tell
me how easy it is to do and "all I need you to do is..." then I am going to hang up on you.
If it's so easy why can't you do it?

I guarantee that if you can't figure out the difference between a screen printer
and a screen printing supplier you're not going to do very well at this craft.

Footnote gripe is the people who order the absolute bare minimum and then
demand the absolute maximum from you. I spend more time hand holding the
24 piece ladies then I do the 5,000 pieces guys. Maybe I need to concentrate
more on contract work but that has it's own ridiculous headaches. Maybe
I'm expecting too much from human beings.

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Gripe of the Week
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 03:53:18 PM »
I always expect the worst from people, that way I will never be disappointed.

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 03:59:56 PM »
I use to make screens for a guy that wasnt set up yet but after awhile it became a headache, kept me here late or interupted what I was doing. Once let a very hot college chic that would melt anyones heart borrow a few newman frames with her art burned for an art project. She never came back... Gotta watch those blue eye devils. Damn she was a hottie!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 04:02:33 PM by endless ink printing »

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 04:03:27 PM »
Not a week goes by that I don't get a call from some hobbiest asking
me for supplies or information or to coat and burn screens or to sell them ink.

I get the screen burning all the time.

My answer, "I'm sorry, we do not offer that service. But if you decide to have the tees printed elsewhere, we would love to do them."

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 04:05:32 PM »
yeah, i get the college project types all the time, i tell them to do a search online for how to expose screens in the sun.
i have better things to worry about...like a piece of broken glass on my exposure unit.  Ugh

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 04:20:36 PM »
I've always found that the smallest things like coating a screen or printing films
or selling blanks will be the most pain in the ass to deal with when it comes to
it. Every damn time.

A friend of mine's girlfriend at the time wanted to start a screen printing business to
supplement her trust fund income. Tried 20 times to get a screen burnt correctly and
failed miserably. As a favor for my friend I said I would help her out and let her use my shop to
print this job she needed to do. Next thing I know I have my entire shop taken over and
all of my supplies being used to help out someone that is trying to be in direct competition with me.
I did all of the hard work (pre-press, setup) and let her do the fun stuff (actually printing).
the whole time she's in there with her friend they're talking about what they're going
to name their company, and what sort of work they are going to do and how much they are
going to make. Ignoring the entire time the fact that it wasn't for my hard work and knowledge
they'd be staring at a screen they couldn't burn.

Needless to say it didn't work out.

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 04:27:07 PM »
The best way to make a small fortune in the screen printing industry is to start with a large one.

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 08:17:08 PM »
The best way to make a small fortune in the screen printing industry is to start with a large one.

I guess so... I have no small fortune to speak of and I started this buiness with 100.00  ;D   

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 09:03:43 PM »
I guess so... I have no small fortune to speak of and I started this buiness with 100.00  ;D
Wow... I thought we were broke when we started with $1500.00... Nice..!!  ;D
Brannon Mullins Spot Color Supply
www.spotcolorsupply.com     sales@spotcolorsupply.com.
We Sell Workhorse Products,Along With Used Equipment, and Printing Supplies!!

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 08:27:32 AM »
I started with the bank of the parents.  Actually, my dad started the business, and I am buying it from them as I go, only 7 more years left!

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 02:51:37 PM »
Wow... I thought we were broke when we started with $1500.00... Nice..!!  ;D

100 bucks worth of speedball stuff and some shirts from Walmart! Printing shirts for my band and the rest is history. Didn't get a real floor press and belt dryer until 3 years later. I guess I could say that's when I really started the business  ;D

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 03:13:50 PM »
I started with a very used Hopkins 6/4, a $75 flash and a homemade halogen exposure unit. Paid for the whole mess with the first job.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 06:56:12 PM »
huh, I guess I am the only one here that actually spent some money upfront!
We did $6k to start, than added another $15k six months later and have put in another $50 over the last two years. With the auto payment it took about $100k to get where we are.

What did this buy us? Three years to repay the out of pocket investment and five years to pay of the auto. Two and a half years into it we are printing almost 200k impressions per year, have an award for the work we do and are growing at a stupid rate (up about 65% this year). We should pass a mil in sales within five years of starting the co.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 07:10:14 PM »
We did $6k to start, than added another $15k six months later and have put in another $50 over the last two years. With the auto payment it took about $100k to get where we are.

What did this buy us? Three years to repay the out of pocket investment and five years to pay of the auto. Two and a half years into it we are printing almost 200k impressions per year, have an award for the work we do and are growing at a stupid rate (up about 65% this year). We should pass a mil in sales within five years of starting the co.

pierre

No one likes a bragger!  ;D

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 07:30:45 PM »

pierre

No one likes a bragger!  ;D

I still feel like I have to prove myself and waaay to often take things to seriously. So yes, you are right, but you know, the others are bragging with how little they spent!!!  ;D

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!