Author Topic: using adhesive on platens  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Appstro

using adhesive on platens
« on: March 01, 2014, 09:24:00 AM »
I just did my first official run of shirts and I noticed that alot of them had some adhesive residue inside the them as I was folding and boxing everything up. I never noticed this on other screen print jobs I have bought out in the past except for a guy that was like I am now...a newb. I would like to avoid this stickiness inside the shirts since I am doing the screen printing myself now I am using 3m spray adhesive and wondering if thats too much. Is there a preferred brand and style? is there a technique that you use? Like spraying every other time you put a new shirt on the platen?

Online Doug S

• Gonzo Member
Re: using adhesive on platens
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 10:05:49 AM »
I use a waterbased adhesive and spread it on the pallet and never had that problem.  I believe the brand is enviroline but I'll have to check that when I get to the shop..  The only time I use a spray adhesive "webtack" is when I print hoodies or sweat shirts.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 10:20:19 AM »
For spray you are looking for "Flash Adheasive or Tac". "Web Adheasive" for fleece.
Water based is the way to go I like the stuff Spotcolor sells or CCI Top Bond.
I spread on with a 3" puddly knife. Put the adheasive in an old 20oz soda bottle, poke a hole in the cap and squit it on then spread. When the bottle gets all nasty toss it.  Once a few coats are on the pallet it can be renewed by spritsing with some water and scrubbing with a stiff brush.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 10:28:40 AM »
Yep, many here have converted to the water based adhesives rather than spray cans for most applications. They can be applied with rollers, brush, card squeegees, or even sprayers. They are neater, and far outlast the conventional spray can type.

To answer about sprays though, 3M may well have a spray stckum that will work, but most use "purpose built" sprays from folks like Sprayway, available at most suppliers.
They generally have a mist, a web spray, or a flash resistant mist.
Except for fleece, one spray should last for far more than one shirt.

Also, with any adhesive, if it just isn't dry enough, or there is too much and it transfers, use a junk shirt as its first use.

If you insist on using a spray (or if you go waterbased and utilize a spray applicator), I suggest making a simple mask out of cardboard to reduce the mess from overspray.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 11:13:11 AM »
Put the adheasive in an old 20oz soda bottle, poke a hole in the cap and squit it on then spread. When the bottle gets all nasty toss it.  Once a few coats are on the pallet it can be renewed by spritsing with some water and scrubbing with a stiff brush.

We have used a pint sized plastic cake frosting container to pour and get hands all gooey
when taking the lid off and card on. The soda bottle is a great idea. Revolutionary! ha
We use soap (breaks down glue) and water with green scrubby pad attached under handle to remove.

Took the brand new shiny auto to go from aerosol spay to H20, but long overdue.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 11:19:44 AM by GaryG »

Offline Appstro

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 11:39:04 AM »
Wow! Thank you everyone. Waterbased sounds so much cleaner. I had a huge amount of overspray this last run and did alot of cleaning. I love the soda bottle idea too. I cant seem to find anything water based locally after doinga  quick search. Anyone share a link to the stuff Spotcolor sells or CCI Top Bond?? or???

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 12:27:29 PM »
Wow! Thank you everyone. Waterbased sounds so much cleaner. I had a huge amount of overspray this last run and did alot of cleaning. I love the soda bottle idea too. I cant seem to find anything water based locally after doinga  quick search. Anyone share a link to the stuff Spotcolor sells or CCI Top Bond?? or???

Who is your local supplier? Aren't you in or near San Diego?

This is what I use.

http://www.mclogan.com/shop/tekmar-tekbond-tbhv-p-683-c-187_192_35.html
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Appstro

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 12:31:52 PM »
THANKS!!! I was looking on the site and could not find anything that wasnt aerosol spray. :) THANK YOU!! :)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 12:53:24 PM »
I use textac, but I think all over the waterbased adhesives perform about the same, which is MUCH better than spray tac.  They hold up longer, don't leave residue on the shirts, dont cause a mess when applying, and are as good as new after a quick wipe down with a damp paper towel to clear off built up lint.  A lot of people apply with a card of some kind, but I found the quickest and cleanest way was to use paper towels.  I put the glue in a 32 ounce squirt bottle (like for ketchup or salad dressing, available at any restautrant supply store or online) and water it down 75% water and 25% glue, shake, then squirt a bit in the middle of the pallet.  Take a paper towel and quickly wipe in concentric circles from the center, then quickly back and forth once it has been dispersed to even it out.  Then flash and it is good to go.  I have had the same bottle of tex tac for years and still have 1/3 left.  Typically a single application will last about 1000 shirts before it needs reapplying or pallet tape changed.  I "refresh" every 50-100 shirts by using a spray bottle to lightly mist water over the platen, then rub back and forth both direction with a paper towel and all of the lint will just release from the glue, good as new.

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 01:09:50 PM »
Xenon Xentack  $25 per gallon
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline Appstro

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 01:18:09 PM »
Great info here!!! Thank thank you so much. I was just about  to ask about applying transfer tape and the adhesive to it and you seemed to have answered that too! :)

Offline Nick Bane

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 01:42:19 PM »
If you are in San Diego, your CCI rep is Jaime Fernandez, he is awesome and will set you up with whatever you need.

Nick
Bane Ink - 619-701-4283

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 08:10:14 AM »
on the same topic of water based adhesive the clean up and re-new is sweet too.
mooseman

DSCF7847
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 08:58:12 AM »
mooseman

DSCF7847

Moose, try CCI AR-20 for cleaning, works VERY well.  We where using the Mean Green after you posted this but for the really caked pallets this stuff is really nice and will save you a little coin.

Chris

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 09:15:17 AM »
mooseman

DSCF7847

Moose, try CCI AR-20 for cleaning, works VERY well.  We where using the Mean Green after you posted this but for the really caked pallets this stuff is really nice and will save you a little coin.

Chris

hi Chris,
wow that is a different experience that we have ever had. Mean Green is kinda just soap & water not a lot different than windex & water like some use. Never had a build up issue with the Mean green & tekBond stuff.
BTY we pay about $4.69 for a gallon from Americas gateway to china   http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mean-Green-Super-Strength-Cleaner-Degreaser-128-fl-oz/19853411
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.